• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    That’s great practice for shooting under stress. Those lower cut outs look difficult. Well done!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Cant lie, I did laugh a little but only because I could see myself doing the same. Good shooting, distance looks like 25 yards?

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Gravity's a b*tch sometimes.

Kind of surprising to me, from some of the comments here, that some people seem unfamiliar with what happens in classes and also have no experience behind a VTAC barricade. They make the occasional appearance at IDPA matches at AAFG, and I've run into them in countless classes over the years (well, I haven't LITERALLY run into them.....I feel like I have to specify given the topic of this thread!).

AAR is good.

Are the Green Ops standards run from the draw or some sort of ready position?

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville

Kind of surprising to me, from some of the comments here, that some people seem unfamiliar with what happens in classes and also have no experience behind a VTAC barricade. They make the occasional appearance at IDPA matches at AAFG, and I've run into them in countless classes over the years (well, I haven't LITERALLY run into them.....I feel like I have to specify given the topic of this thread!).

AAR is good.

this proves what i have always said. this forum is improperly named. it should be called mdgunowners.com

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    this proves what i have always said. this forum is improperly named. it should be called mdgunowners.com

Maybe. I don't know. There are many types of shooters. Just like many on here would probably be shocked that I have never shot trap or skeet or hunted, so it is that I sometimes forget that not everyone has a "defensive mindset" when it comes to shooting. Different strokes and all.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Looks like a blast! Falling is far more common in scoot-n-shoot events than most people realize. Shoot, when I played paintball in a professional capacity (no, it doesn't pay much at all which is why most of us worked in the industry or jobs that paid really, really well so that we could afford it) we'd fall all over the place on grass fields when charging ahead. That's why we all eventually switched to wearing cleats or turf shoes depending on what field we were going to be playing on.

Maybe that's an option for shooting events (cleats)?

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Another interesting takeaway I just thought of.

I've been to that venue. As noted in the AAR, it's at an old stone quarry. So the base is a combo of mud (if it's rained at all recently) and lots of rocks of all sizes. So a fall like that could result in bloody or muddy hands. This is why, in my opinion, having good grips on your firearm is important. Whether it's quality checkering, stippling to a polymer frame, or some sort of grip tape, you never know if your hands in a fight will be sweaty, wet, muddy, or even bloody. Being able to still get a good grip on the firearm could be a key factor in such a scenario.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm not even sure I'd claim I have a defensive mindset. I just think that if I'm gonna be a gunowner and possibly use these things to defend myself and my family, I'd better be able to handle them competently, so training/competition/dryfire/etc. all follow from that. I have no delusions anyone's ever gonna regard me as a great shooter no matter what I do.

I've literally run into one, and it was just like that Costa USPSA spoof video. I am Kita Busse's stereotypical dude who's big and round and never played sports past youth soccer in his entire life. I don't know how to move, and I freely admit it.

100% from the draw.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I'm not even sure I'd claim I have a defensive mindset. I just think that if I'm gonna be a gunowner and possibly use these things to defend myself and my family, I'd better be able to handle them competently, so training/competition/dryfire/etc. all follow from that. I have no delusions anyone's ever gonna regard me as a great shooter no matter what I do.

I've literally run into one, and it was just like that Costa USPSA spoof video. I am Kita Busse's stereotypical dude who's big and round and never played sports past youth soccer in his entire life. I don't know how to move, and I freely admit it.

100% from the draw.

From what I've seen you're a very competent shooter (at the very least, and probably a lot more than just "competent"). But, as this video no doubt illustrates, protecting you and your loved ones is about way more than just the gun. It might be about movement (at the speed of control), balance, use of cover, being fit (quick, strong, etc., which has benefits WAY BEYOND "self-defense"). My advice is to keep maintaining with the firearms skills but start working on the other stuff concurrently. I'm not and never have been particularly athletic either, but it is something that can be worked on.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Looks like a blast! Falling is far more common in scoot-n-shoot events than most people realize. Shoot, when I played paintball in a professional capacity (no, it doesn't pay much at all which is why most of us worked in the industry or jobs that paid really, really well so that we could afford it) we'd fall all over the place on grass fields when charging ahead. That's why we all eventually switched to wearing cleats or turf shoes depending on what field we were going to be playing on.

Maybe that's an option for shooting events (cleats)?

Marines don't wear knee and elbow pads for style

It's because falling and knocking into stuff is common

(Insert jokes about reasons sailors wear knee pads here)

But seriously....professionals wear that stuff because falling happens.

I want to restate what I said earlier about the OP

He fell. He didn't cry about it. He got right back up and got his shots off effectively.

And that is awesome

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Next time I’d stay low and hit those targets first. Knock out two birds with one stumble :)

Good shooting btw.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Amusing as it would have been for me to have crawled to the barricade and gone low ports first, drawing from prone is not exactly a great game plan for any number of reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom