• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I think the point the Leo was making just by me having (possessing) the PA permit while my MD permit was expired ( or going to expire soon ) would be enough of me breaking some sort of law .

I must admit this is not the first time this has happened , he came on strong and stern . I told him I would not break any laws and will mail the PA permit back 5 days before my MD permit would expire .

It is a stupid game I know, but we all must play . I am not sure of the exact law or mandate but I am not fighting this guy when I will just open carry .

Seems dumb to me when I can OC .

I understand him trying to drive home his intent, but I see no law in Title 18 Chapter 61 of PA crimes code that states you are breaking the law just by sitting at home on your couch in another state if your PA non-res becomes revoked because your Md permit expired and you forgot to mail it back to them. I know it doesn't really matter but just pisses me off that they would use threat of an arrest warrant to prove their point, especially when I don't see how any laws would broken if you don't actually carry in the state on a revoked permit. Maybe I'm wrong on the law, but just seems like a crappy threat tactic to use on otherwise law abiding permit holders.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Without a PA NR permit, you cannot carry in Philadelphia, either CCW or OC.

Don't know if you go there but it's something to consider.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Not defending the PA Sherriff’s apparent statutory overreach, but...

Isn’t the PA permit property of the Sherriff’s office?

I would say it is property of PA on loan to me while I qualify for it .

My main point for posting is to inform others the importance of renewing the MD permit in time or ahead of time .
    I had a 2 or 3 week delay in the 8 hr. training and mail back .

I get it , but the irony comes in you can OC without a permit . Just seems funny the whole permit system of a state that allows OC without any financial gain or revenue for the state of PA .

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Without a PA NR permit, you cannot carry in Philadelphia, either CCW or OC.

Don't know if you go there but it's something to consider.

That is a valid point as well , my posting along with yours and others is to educate the importance of renewing in a timely fashion .

And thank you for the reminder about Phila. Pa .

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    I would say it is property of PA on loan to me while I qualify for it .

My main point for posting is to inform others the importance of renewing the MD permit in time or ahead of time .

I had a 2 or 3 week delay in the 8 hr. training and mail back .

I get it , but the irony comes in you can OC without a permit . Just seems funny the whole permit system of a state that allows OC without any financial gain or revenue for the state of PA .

I like the way the VCDL Pres framed the argument...

It’s a permit to wear a jacket.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Your Maryland permit is valid even after expiration date as long as you timely applied for renewal. Hence the words on the front of it. If expired..
    Contact MSP prior to arrest.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Apparently PA doesn’t agree. If you don’t have s valIid permit, they want theirs back

Last edited:

Acorn

Nov 6, 2017
    I specifically asked in Lancaster when I picked up my PA non-resident permit. She said once Lancaster issues the PA permit, they don't need to see my MD permit again until my PA one expires(which is 2 years after my MD permit). The only thing they care about is whether or not the MD permit has restrictions.

Gotta say, I'm a fan of Lancaster more and more lately.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I specifically asked in Lancaster when I picked up my PA non-resident permit. She said once Lancaster issues the PA permit, they don't need to see my MD permit again until my PA one expires(which is 2 years after my MD permit). The only thing they care about is whether or not the MD permit has restrictions.

Adams County has the same attitude.

PA law says otherwise.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    According to Lancaster County Sheriff's webpage, they will no longer issue out of state permits or renew existing ones beginning June 1, 2018.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD

I have a hard time being a fan of a county that issued me a permit when I had a restricted permit and then denied me a renewal because I had restrictions because they got an anti-carry sheriff.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    My Maryland permit expires at the end of this month , and in today low and behold I get a call from York County the fine Sheriff tells me if I don't mail back my permit within 5 days of my Md. permit expiring they will swear out a warrant for my arrest .

He came on real strong as to put me in my place , I told him I would mail it back before May 31st and open carry in PA . He said yeah you can do that no problem , I am wondering why we have to play the games the song and dance .
    Our country is whack , I am sure somewhere in PA there is a sanctuary town/city for illegals and free-loaders . It is almost comical . SMH

No one should get a permit from York. **** them and **** their permit goon squad.

What an utter f'ing joke.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    When my md ccw expired and renewed i did not notify pa. A certified letter was sent but went back to our post office with a notice in the box. I called the po and all they would say was from pa. On a hunch i called york co sheriff and he confirmed letter was revoking my pa permit for failure to provide evidence of md renewal. He said i had been told at time of issue and given something in writing. All i could say is what can i do. Sheriff said send copy new permit and dl and he called 3 days later to say permit reinstated. Thought, now that’s how a govt should do business. And i don’t even vote in pa.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Just returned from a weekend shooting in WV, one of the students has a law firm in DC, in any event the conversation turned to CCW permits. He claimed if you have a relative in PA, you can get a carry permit, but you must apply in person. His relative lives in York (believe he said York) county and they issues his permit.

What say you?

EDIT: my cuz is going to talk to his local police chief today (15th) or early tomorrow. Will post the reply

Last edited:

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    As one would expect, he was BSing

From my cuz, just talked to sheriff department at Gbg courthouse.
    For a nonresident to apply with them, you need three things
    MD carry permit
    MD driver’s license
    Document stating why you want the PA carry permit

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    As one would expect, he was BSing

From my cuz, just talked to sheriff department at Gbg courthouse.
    For a nonresident to apply with them, you need three things
    MD carry permit
    MD driver’s license
    Document stating why you want the PA carry permit

That's been known for a long time.
    If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm guessing either :

He's implying to claim residence @ relative's address

He's implying that his relative knows someone on his local Sheriff Dept who is open to some Mordita .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom