WHY does my background check get delayed EVERY time I buy a long gun?!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    Third long gun purchase. (Not applicable I know but I have my concealed, HQL, and collectors in MD) why is it that every time I go to buy a long gun the feds say my application is delayed ? I’m annoyed to say the least.
    giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    Are you shady looking?

not quite. I work for the state. Went there on my lunch with my state badge on. I have tattoo, a sleeve to be precise. But I mean .... so? Also I should note, all long guns were purchased at different locations if that makes a difference.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Are you providing your SSN on the 4473? Do you have a security clearance? Have a common name or a relative with a similar name who is questionable?

When I started getting delayed, I applied for a UPIN. I suspect the fact that I have a cousin born in the same month and year who has a questionable background caused me delays. on the advice of Lou45, I got the UPIN and have not had an issue since.

Just my experience. YMMV.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Something in your background is a factor to take a closer look.

Any chance you have a doppelganger, or a junior that has gotten into trouble?

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    Are you providing your SSN on the 4473? Do you have a security clearance? Have a common name or a relative with a similar name who is questionable?

When I started getting delayed, I applied for a UPIN. I suspect the fact that I have a cousin born in the same month and year who has a questionable background caused me delays. on the advice of Lou45, I got the UPIN and have not had an issue since.

Just my experience. YMMV.

You know what, now that you say that it makes sense. I had an issue with an application for something non gun related and apparently there’s another person with the same name and a close birthday to me in md.
    How do I apply for a upin?

Thanks for your input !

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You probably have the same name as, or very similar to, someone prohibited. Call NICS and ask. You'll need the NICS Transaction Number or State Transaction Number from your FFL. NICS can give you a UPIN for next time, as already said above.

Did you get an expungement? If yes, you'll probably need a lawyer to figure out who has outdated info and to get it removed.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    if you dont dress the gender on the id... There might be some confusion. Pat wearing an a line skirt and pink blouse, Pat wearing jeans and red flannel. Just saying

Jlynne2

Apr 13, 2020
    Maryland
    You probably have the same name as, or very similar to, someone prohibited. Call NICS and ask. You'll need the NICS Transaction Number or State Transaction Number from your FFL. NICS can give you a UPIN for next time, as already said above.

Did you get an expungement? If yes, you'll probably need a lawyer to figure out who has outdated info and to get it removed.

I did have an expungement. From like 10 years ago. It didn’t stop me from getting my concealed though. Strange. I’ll look into that as well. Thank you !

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You know what, now that you say that it makes sense. I had an issue with an application for something non gun related and apparently there’s another person with the same name and a close birthday to me in md.
    How do I apply for a upin?

Thanks for your input !

****Yea. Imagine being named Brian Frosh, Ben Laden, Charlie Manson, or Jeff Boyardee - no doubt that could hold things back a bit....

One of my range friends had the same problem and it turned out someone else in his area shared the same name, age, physical description and had multiple felonies for drugs, wife beating, arson, and public urination, etc... He had a heck of a time getting on a plane and was always called out for additional checks, rubber gloves, etc... He was on the no fly list... That kinda sucked.....

So yea. It might not be you that's the problem.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I got delayed for years. Finally got denied. Turns out one of our wonderful “New Americans” helped himself to my identity and committed a few crimes and finally one was disqualifying. I now have a UFIN as a result.

My advice is to try to figure out what’s going on.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I get delayed about 30% of the time. I checked MD case search and found someone with my same first and last name bor the same year about 3 months before me. He had a bunch of criminal history on there. I keep meaning to apply for a UPIN. One day I'll follow through.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    I just purchased an AR online and had it sent to my FFL in Elkton. It arrived Friday and I went on Saturday to fill out the paperwork. He told me only 1 in 10 background checks were going through first try. Sure enough mine went to delayed. Today it went to "Proceed". I picked up the gun after work.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Right now with the Zombie Panic , the system is frequently slammed .

In normal times , if it happens once , could just be the computer taking a coffee break right then . But if it's a pattern , it's probably someone with similar name who's been a bad boy , and you're flagged for further human attention to make sure which Frank Smith born 19xx you actually are .

As mentioned multiple times , get a UPIN , and you'll be good . The Late Shooting & Handloading partner #1 had this problem until getting a UPIN , and his name wasn't particularly common , but apparently there was a fugitive felon with similar name and close SSN .

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I got delayed on almost every long gun purchase in the last 15 years, never denied. I had one go though with no problem and the next one was delayed. Go figure?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Everyone using SSN? Never had a problem that way and I’ve also got another Maryland resident with same first and last names with a checkered past. The 03FFL may have helped speed them up I’ve heard though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom