• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I basically sold off or gave away all my knives that weren’t hunting knives. At work i carry a leatherman cuz as a cop a combat knife is dumb. I made my skinning/butchering knives from blanks but i didn’t have a robust knife. So i bought that gerber combat fixed blade. I’m not really impressed but it does seem robust enough to get the job done.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Had a flat tire the other day, so it prompted me to go through all of the extra gear that I have packed in my trunk. Emergency rations are out of date, so I had to order some fresh ones last night.... I'm sure the ones in the car are still good, but figured I would use those on a camping trip or something and replace with fresh.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Had a flat tire the other day, so it prompted me to go through all of the extra gear that I have packed in my trunk. Emergency rations are out of date, so I had to order some fresh ones last night.... I'm sure the ones in the car are still good, but figured I would use those on a camping trip or something and replace with fresh.
    Try Datrex. Much more stable.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just scored 5 each of Keystone canned ground beef, beef, pork, and chicken. Was at Wal Mart and they had a lot.
    Expiration date of sometime 2025.
    $6.28 a can. The beef was $7.74.
    f632162e3468d1023cd2c9a2cf4846b1.jpg

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Try Datrex. Much more stable.

Thanks... will look into it!

It has been some time since I've had Daltrex in the rotation, but a few things about it. The block itself was sealed nicely, but the individual portions are just wrapped in bulk cellophane inside; they aren't individually sealed. This presumably isn't a problem if there's an actual emergency and you're starving, but if you just wanted to try one to see if it would work for you, it'll leave you hanging to an extent.

Also, the trade off for that excellent shelf life is a complete and total absence of moisture. They are dryyyyyyy. I would guess that someone who was actually starving (and thus dehydrated) could not physically eat one of those bars without some water. Practically speaking, you will want at least a pint of water to go with one of those bars.

Perhaps they have changed their packaging/moisture content over the years. Good luck!

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    This Datrex is life raft survival food. Period. Nobody said gourmet.

Good news is it’s designed to be largely exposed to elements (not directly but your trunk is close enough to a vacuum sealed on deck at sea life raft case) AND BE STABLE OVER TIME/condition.

Are they yummy? Hell no. Are there flavors? Two I think. Medium rare Steak and loaded baked potato they ain’t.

Datrex is what you get when you’re gonna throw it in the trunk if you want to survive.

Starve or Datrex; I’m Datrex all day long.

MRE doesn’t like sun or high or low temp over time. Mountain House et all freeze dried is state of the art imo. Good tolerance to poor storage...better than MRE anyhow. Datrex is long term, “hard core.” But if you say survival AND you aren’t squared away with rotating your trunk chow, just throw some Datrex in the trunk in a 50 cal ammo can and fuggetaboutit.

Consider your requirement and then act accordingly.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have a great water source and a keg crab pOt/burner but I’m beginning to rethink my water prep.

I might add a rain barrel.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    This Datrex is life raft survival food. Period. Nobody said gourmet.

Good news is it’s designed to be largely exposed to elements (not directly but your trunk is close enough to a vacuum sealed on deck at sea life raft case) AND BE STABLE OVER TIME/condition.

Are they yummy? Hell no. Are there flavors? Two I think. Medium rare Steak and loaded baked potato they ain’t.

Datrex is what you get when you’re gonna throw it in the trunk if you want to survive.

Starve or Datrex; I’m Datrex all day long.

MRE doesn’t like sun or high or low temp over time. Mountain House et all freeze dried is state of the art imo. Good tolerance to poor storage...better than MRE anyhow. Datrex is long term, “hard core.” But if you say survival AND you aren’t squared away with rotating your trunk chow, just throw some Datrex in the trunk in a 50 cal ammo can and fuggetaboutit.

Consider your requirement and then act accordingly.

I don't disagree with any of that. I was merely adding some color to the picture.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    You guys with the hard core food in your vehicles, what’s the thinking behind that? How long are you wanting that to carry you vs. having something more palatable like some power bars? Is the reason to store more calories in the vehicle or to just not have to worry about changing it out and keeping it fresh? How much water are you keeping in your vehicle?

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Just scored 5 each of Keystone canned ground beef, beef, pork, and chicken. Was at Wal Mart and they had a lot.
    Expiration date of sometime 2025.
    $6.28 a can. The beef was $7.74.
    f632162e3468d1023cd2c9a2cf4846b1.jpg

Bonus - they will work great as a laxative should the need arise..

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    You guys with the hard core food in your vehicles, what’s the thinking behind that? How long are you wanting that to carry you vs. having something more palatable like some power bars? Is the reason to store more calories in the vehicle or to just not have to worry about changing it out and keeping it fresh? How much water are you keeping in your vehicle?

I have 2 MRE’s. I’m not worried about getting caught in an ice age I’m worried about getting stuck at work for 3 days.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    More ammo cause you know why not :innocent0

A bottle of star-tron to try out.

Fogging oil and more 30 weight for the air cooled stuff. I have a multi year supply of oil/fluids/filters on hand for everything but I was low on straight weight oil and found during the 'shut down' that 30 weight became non existent at the stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom