• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MD80

Oct 11, 2019
    Hazzard County
    I got to thinking the other day....Hypothetical:

If one does not have their HQL, but enters into a sweepstakes or raffle/giveaway of a handgun or pistol format rifle, would they be able to accept the prize?

This of course takes into consideration, all of Marylands legal requirements and the ability to pass the NICS check. The way I see it, you are not purchasing it. Although, you would be paying taxes on the MSRP/ARV.

What do you guys think?

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I have read where people have purchased a handgun but could not accept it until they got their fingerprints and HQL stuff taken care of. Also, of course the NICs check. I do not know if they do the NICs first to be sure they are ok? I assume they may not if something happens with the purchaser between that time and the fingerprint/HQL stuff.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    You can ask them to send it to your local FFL while you go through the HQL process. Or the FFL could sell it on consignment for you.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Or maybe your ffl could hold it for you until you get the hql. They may charge storage though.

A couple years before the hql I won a handgun from one of the on line magazines. I had to wait an extra week or so because this particular gun was not on the list yet....but was in process of being approved. Got lucky there.

MD80

Oct 11, 2019
    Hazzard County
    All valid replies, I knew i would get some flak for not searching....However, I knew that you guys would set me straight. So thank you all!!

UncleDuke: That's what I expected from Maryland!!
    Rseymore: I have noticed that too, some will even allow substitution at their discretion.
    DutchV: Not a bad idea!
    Johnthetoolguy: No kidding, thats great!

I guess it was too hard for you to pull up MDSP’s website yourself?

From the MDSP website:

Unless otherwise exempt, as of October 1, 2013, a Maryland resident must possess a valid Handgun Qualification License before he/she may purchase, rent, or RECEIVE a handgun.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

You’re not taking possession until you have an HQL.

Unless the handgun is HQL exempt .

Most “sweepstakes” have in the fine print that winners MUST meet all state requirements in order to take possession. Means that you can win it but not take possession.

In short, your good luck in winning the drawing gets negated by living in the state of Maryland.

You can ask them to send it to your local FFL while you go through the HQL process. Or the FFL could sell it on consignment for you.

Either need to get the HQL or some rafffles have a cash option for a prize

Or maybe your ffl could hold it for you until you get the hql. They may charge storage though.

A couple years before the hql I won a handgun from one of the on line magazines. I had to wait an extra week or so because this particular gun was not on the list yet....but was in process of being approved. Got lucky there.

I have read where people have purchased a handgun but could not accept it until they got their fingerprints and HQL stuff taken care of. Also, of course the NICs check. I do not know if they do the NICs first to be sure they are ok? I assume they may not if something happens with the purchaser between that time and the fingerprint/HQL stuff.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I guess it was too hard for you to pull up MDSP’s website yourself?

From the MDSP website:

Unless otherwise exempt, as of October 1, 2013, a Maryland resident must possess a valid Handgun Qualification License before he/she may purchase, rent, or RECEIVE a handgun.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizat...ion/Firearms/HandgunQualificationLicense.aspx

You’re not taking possession until you have an HQL.

^^THIS. However, why should someone do their own 10 second search when they can come to the forum and get someone else to do it for them? Like it or not, it always seems to work so why should anyone stop?

MD80

Oct 11, 2019
    Hazzard County
    ^^THIS. However, why should someone do their own 10 second search when they can come to the forum and get someone else to do it for them? Like it or not, it always seems to work so why should anyone stop?

A unicorn could gift you a pistol and you’d still need your hql.

There are no dumb questions there are no dumb questions there are no dumb questions...ahh!

Right you are...I won't make an excuse for not searching. One might say they enjoy the saltiness of this crowd, combined with their knowledge base and anecdotes.

If a unicorn gifted me a pistol, he could also gift me an HQL to boot. Maybe he'd even throw in a wad of tax stamps!!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Right you are...I won't make an excuse for not searching. One might say they enjoy the saltiness of this crowd, combined with their knowledge base and anecdotes.

If a unicorn gifted me a pistol, he could also gift me an HQL to boot. Maybe he'd even throw in a wad of tax stamps!!

Better off a case of 9mm. It’s worth more.

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013

I had a similar experience. Won a Kimber 1911 from the NRA in 2016. It turned out to be like the single model not listed on the roster. The ffl was nice enough to hold on to it for me until it was added.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Everyone has to stop thinking buying/selling when its a transfer. Although Buyer and Seller may appear on the 77r (I don't recall), its a transfer of ownership and that is when all this crap happens.

I gifted a pistol years ago to my father back when it was paper work and did not get a letter even 2 weeks later. Went to the MSP and they said, he did not even need one cause it was a family member and a gift. Officer doing the initial transfer told me to wait for paperwork. It was still a transfer even when no $$ changed hands

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom