Anyone else having trouble "pulling the trigger" on a new purchase?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    In the past 24-48 hours, ammo prices have gone thru the roof. If you can find 22LR, minimum price is 25cpr; hot CCI is around a buck per round. 38spl is 3-4 bucks a round(!).

The bad part, or another bad part, is that there are only 2 or 3 sellers of 38 special l listed on Ammoseek. Used to be multiple pages of retailers with 50 or 100 listed on each page. Now just 3.

FWIW, GB has most calibers available. High prices for sure, but not what AS represents.....not yet. Like I mentioned in another post, get what you can while you can. I'm afraid the timeline for normalcy will be 4 years at best, if then.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    @trickg

Sigh...ok. I have the package in my hand and I'm going to walk it down to the mailbox in a moment. It'll be a 9 pound idiot stick until I can get some rounds and an adjustable gas plug for it.

I have already spoken to a good friend who has his own gun lab in his basement. He reloads everything and is excited to help me with reloads.

I hope to God your comment about walk to the mailbox was just a metaphor. Ammo prices may be nuts, but the idea that anything you Mail right now will actually get to it’s intended destination in under a month is laughable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The bad part, or another bad part, is that there are only 2 or 3 sellers of 38 special l listed on Ammoseek. Used to be multiple pages of retailers with 50 or 100 listed on each page. Now just 3.

FWIW, GB has most calibers available. High prices for sure, but not what AS represents.....not yet. Like I mentioned in another post, get what you can while you can. I'm afraid the timeline for normalcy will be 4 years at best, if then.

Over the last year or so, I've noted the shortage of 38spl; instead of being really cheap - the way 9mm had been until recently - the cost per round has been rising, and general availability diminished. It probably goes hand in hand with the walls of semi-autos one sees in the LGS, with only a few new revolvers around.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Over the last year or so, I've noted the shortage of 38spl; instead of being really cheap - the way 9mm had been until recently - the cost per round has been rising, and general availability diminished. It probably goes hand in hand with the walls of semi-autos one sees in the LGS, with only a few new revolvers around.
    That's interesting. Who'da thunk it?

Years ago I'd take my daughter to the range with me, and every time we'd go, I'd buy a box of the really cheap remanufactured .38 wadcutter target loads for her to shoot - coming out of one of the two .357s I had at the time, they were low noise and low recoil, and she enjoyed shooting them.

As a reloader I just kept all that brass, and over time I wound up with a solid amount of .38 spc brass. It's a perfect load for poly coated bullets with a few gr of Bullseye. It's one of the cheapest things to reload for.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I bought a cheap-ish 1911 in 45 recently when I realized I had 5k LPPs and the primer shortage wasn't gonna end any time soon (thanks, Biden). I don't love 45 or 1911s, but I love not shooting even less. I will probably still be buying a Sig P320X5 Max this year, but otherwise not expecting a lot of new gun purchases.

Where it's really impacted me is classes. Pre-rona, I was taking a class a month, even if said class was perhaps a little bit below my current skill level. Nowadays... I can't justify beginner-intermediate type classes anymore.

I may also go back to shooting a single gun in Falling Steel / Steel Challenge-style matches, unless I somehow refuel my 22lr stocks (which are all currently dedicated to my son's SASP usage).

IMHO, most people waste a TON of ammo at the range just aimlessly plinking away. Stopping that isn't gonna make much of an impact either way on their skill level.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico

Yeah, I noticed that too. Same with 357, there aren't many sellers listed for that either.

In reality, the ammo mfgs are probably putting the most effort towards 9 and 223/556 knowing full well they'll sell every one they can make. Everything else is back burner.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Nah, ammo will come back so that's not stopping me. However, the price of guns is stopping me from buying anything else right now. No sense overpaying because of a panic right now. That said, I have picked up some parts and an upper that I got a deal on recently. Haven't shot some of them yet, but I'll get around to it eventually.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    Same. It's a good time to do projects and conserve ammo.
    But I'm looking forward to what I can put together for next deer season.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I guess I'm luck enough to finally be at a place where financially I can indulge my hobbies a little bit. I maybe indulged a bit too much last year, but I certainly have plans on a few things this year too. If it's available, I'm going to pick it up.

I was really hoping that after the election ammo prices would come down a bit and availability would improve. That was also before I realized that Trump was going to have the election stolen from him. Unfortunately that doesn't look like it's going to happen - I'll keep my eyes open, but I refuse to pay stupid amounts of money for new ammo when I can reload and I still have components.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I hope to God your comment about walk to the mailbox was just a metaphor. Ammo prices may be nuts, but the idea that anything you Mail right now will actually get to it’s intended destination in under a month is laughable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't had that many problems. It's after Election Day and after Christmas so a lot of the pressure is off.

If CMP doesn't receive my package in a reasonable time, I'll resubmit it via a different carrier. The most irritating thing will be getting that page notarized again.

Hey, I managed to score some M2 ball so life is looking up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom