• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    In all my years of shooting, I have yet to fire, or even handle, a Bisley. I own a plow handle 5.5"; but with MD's stupid 6" requirement, I'm considering adding a 7.5" (maybe Hunter) to the collection. If anyone in the central region has one you're willing to let me check it out, I would be most grateful. I'll figure out a way for me to compensate you. I've called a few IPs, but my search has come up dry.

ETA: Mainly interested in a .44mag

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    In all my years of shooting, I have yet to fire, or even handle, a Bisley. I own a plow handle 5.5"; but with MD's stupid 6" requirement, I'm considering adding a 7.5" (maybe Hunter) to the collection. If anyone in the central region has one you're willing to let me check it out, I would be most grateful. I'll figure out a way for me to compensate you. I've called a few IPs, but my search had come up dry.

ETA: Mainly interested in a .44mag

What is the 6" requirement?

(My wife wants to know)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    6" barrel required for handguns used for hunting. I'm of the belief that the diameter of the bore, and how well you use it, can make up the difference!

Gotcha. That didn't even cross my mind!

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    6" barrel required for handguns used for hunting. I'm of the belief that the diameter of the bore, and how well you use it, can make up the difference!

As long as you don't shoot blanks!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I had the 7.5 Bisley Hunter for a few years. It's a wonderful tank of a gun but quickly became a safe queen for me. I sold it a few years ago.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For Hunting Big Game aka Deer and Bear , no minimum length for small game, varmits, etc .

In our neighboring states , it's 4in minimum , one of the reasons I would do most of my ( off of my own property ) hunting in Va .

There are other subtle differences like steel ejector rod housings and grip frames , but the main difference is the grip shape , which is subjective personal preference .

My observations , which seem to be not uncommon : The regular Blackhawk grip is more natural/ intuitive in pointing , and the Bisley is more forgiving for heavy recoil . But the dividing line of the transition point is also subjective . For *me* Blackhawk grip is perfectly fine thru full power heavy cast bullets in .41mag , and generic factory .44mag is still usable in SBH , but the Bisley would be more comfortable . YMMV

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Appreciate all the input! The plow handle has served me well for many years. I prefer the looks, the natural pointability, and how it rolls with recoil. I do agree that warm 44mag is about its limit though. I just have this wild hair to give the Bisley a try. I have smaller hands, so the lower hammer and shorter trigger reach might be welcomed. Not that I need too much of an excuse for another pistol!

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    For Hunting Big Game aka Deer and Bear , no minimum length for small game, varmits, etc .

In our neighboring states , it's 4in minimum , one of the reasons I would do most of my ( off of my own property ) hunting in Va .

There are other subtle differences like steel ejector rod housings and grip frames , but the main difference is the grip shape , which is subjective personal preference .

My observations , which seem to be not uncommon : The regular Blackhawk grip is more natural/ intuitive in pointing , and the Bisley is more forgiving for heavy recoil . But the dividing line of the transition point is also subjective . For *me* Blackhawk grip is perfectly fine thru full power heavy cast bullets in .41mag , and generic factory .44mag is still usable in SBH , but the Bisley would be more comfortable . YMMV

^^Nailed it!! ^^

Appreciate all the input! The plow handle has served me well for many years. I prefer the looks, the natural pointability, and how it rolls with recoil. I do agree that warm 44mag is about its limit though. I just have this wild hair to give the Bisley a try. I have smaller hands, so the lower hammer and shorter trigger reach might be welcomed. Not that I need too much of an excuse for another pistol!

They are awesome guns. Very accurate and with a scope added, definitely shootable w/o a bunch of abusive recoil. If you need a little boom in your life, you'll enjoy it!

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    You can convert a standard grip to Bisley if you're handy. It might be hard to find a Bisley to buy. I doubt Ruger is making any right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom