• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I tried to buy a pellet gun in Illinois once snd he wouldn't sell to me because i had a MD drivers license so my brother right away said well ill buy it. He said that would be a straw purchase. Lol. So i ordered it online when i got back from vacation.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I bought a shotgun as a gift to the farmer who lets me hunt his farm. I paid for it, but insisted he be the signer on all the paperwork. By all appearances, this looked and smelled like a straw purchase. The sale was made, however, and he got his shottie. This sale was actually made at Dick's, of all places. I don't see that ever happening again in this day and age(anywhere).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Who provides the cash is not a legal issue.

Who completes and signs the paperwork is.

Appearances are just that. They may lead the seller to decline the sale which is their prerogative.

IMO IANAL

In an honest situation such as ours, completely correct, but appearances...

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    More to come I would bet. If this is a real person wanting to get into firearms and not a bad guy then I feel bad we may have lost a fellow member/ possible firearms advocate, however, rules are rules.

+1 on the classifieds being more difficult for the antis to get into within 10 seconds of signing up.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    th

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    this is a real person wanting to get into firearms and not a bad guy

Let me punch the numbers into my Massive Parallel Cluster and compute the chance of that...

... and it says, just below monkeys flying out of my butt.

Last edited:

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    Who provides the cash is not a legal issue.

Who completes and signs the paperwork is.

Appearances are just that. They may lead the seller to decline the sale which is their prerogative.

IMO IANAL

I do not want to stir the pot here.

Would a purchase by a parent as a gift later, maybe on a birthday or Christmas, become a straw purchase? Would class of item make difference?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

Would a purchase by a parent as a gift, maybe on a birthday or Christmas, become a straw purchase? Would class of item make difference?

I think the main thing is intent.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

Would a purchase by a parent as a gift later, maybe on a birthday or Christmas, become a straw purchase? Would class of item make difference?
    I, myself, do not think this is a straw purchase, if the intended recipient could otherwise purchase the item him/herself.

Class? Not sure what you mean by that (though I once told a college professor to call me some time when she's got no class).

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    So if i'm at the store with my teenager and we look at a gun and he starts begging me, Can I get it Dad, can I please!!!! And I say I'll take it, would that be considered a straw purchase? Maybe his mom told him if you pay for it I'll buy it (assuming he is too young to purchase a gun).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom