• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Anyone been to the ranges there recently? Worth the trip for someone coming from Queen Anne’s county? It’s over an hour away but so is Delmarva Sporting Clays and these appear to be the only ranges on the shore that don’t require a membership and have rifle and pistol ranges. Everything else over here seems to be clays.

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    If I had to choose between Elk Neck and Delmarva, I'd choose Delmarva every time. It's slightly more money ($25 all vs $10 at Elk Neck), but that gets you access to a 300 yard range with berms at 50, 100, 200, & 300 and steel at 100, 200, & 300; two 25 yard pistol pits; and $10 more gets you access to the 500 yard range. All targets, stands, and spotting scopes are included.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Elk Neck is a great range.

Make the drive.

Folks will be there to keep things safe.

But there won't be range Nazis intent on squeezing every last ounce of fun out of going to the range.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    My dad meets a friend up there early just about every Tuesday morning. He enjoys it.
    I do not care much for the seats they have attached to the benches. They were designed for Sasquatch adults! Take something to put under it to raise it, or take your own seat.

treadhead88

Panzerfahrer
    Jun 20, 2009
    Cecil Co.
    Unless they changed it, the $50.00 yearly pass is good only for the year you buy it in. (January 2018 to December 2018)
    So if you buy it now, it's only good until December of this year.

Please correct this if I am mistaken.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Unless they changed it, the $50.00 yearly pass is good only for the year you buy it in. (January 2018 to December 2018)
    So if you buy it now, it's only good until December of this year.

Please correct this if I am mistaken.

Yeah it mentions it on the website. Some of the membership places around me are $100-250 per year so paying $50 now makes sense even if it’s only for Q4.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Myself and Sgt.Preston have been going there for years. We both like it...and since we're both over 65, we get an annual pass for $25. Now that's a good deal. I'd stay away on weekends ( too many hotshots ) but on week days there is NO crowd. They also have 2 shotgun platforms.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Myself and Sgt.Preston have been going there for years. We both like it...and since we're both over 65, we get an annual pass for $25. Now that's a good deal. I'd stay away on weekends ( too many hotshots ) but on week days there is NO crowd. They also have 2 shotgun platforms.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Volunteer RSO's are there on the weekends. The days of the hotshots have been mostly over for a few years.

Just remember to bring your own target stand, clay thrower, etc..

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I shot there since I was 16 years old or so. Used to be the Wild West on the weekends but the RSO’s have put an end to most of that stuff.

As others have stated stay away from weekends and go during normal working hours. Honor system for day pass at the main building just off of the enterance to the left.

I believe the target center must be 54” high unless they changed it. The rifle range can get windy this time of year. Make sure your stand is solid.

Other than that have fun. It’s a good place to shoot.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Sounds like a good place for weekday visits, which works for me since I like to avoid weekend traffic and have the benefit of working for myself. Assuming the weather is decent next week I might try to get up there.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    What you haven't been told about Elk Neck is that you have to BRING YOUR OWN TARGET STAND...

And the center of the TARGET has to be 54" above the ground...

IF you show up WITHOUT a target stand you'll be be on a wasted trip...

There is a 100 yard rifle range, a pistol range, a shotgun range & an Archery Range...

There are NO TRASH CANS, bring your own trash bag & take your trash & brass with you...

Final advice: STAY AWAY ON WEEKENDS...

Here is a copy of the range regulations...

https://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/Documents/ElkNeck_Range_Regs.pdf

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    What you haven't been told about Elk Neck is that you have to BRING YOUR OWN TARGET STAND...

And the center of the TARGET has to be 54" above the ground...

IF you show up WITHOUT a target stand you'll be be on a wasted trip...

There is a 100 yard rifle range, a pistol range, a shotgun range & an Archery Range...

There are NO TRASH CANS, bring your own trash bag & take your trash & brass with you...

Final advice: STAY AWAY ON WEEKENDS...

Here is a copy of the range regulations...

https://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/Documents/ElkNeck_Range_Regs.pdf

The target stand thing is something I’ve got to figure out. I have a smaller SUV so I need to find something collapsible that supports that height or build something that can be put together and taken apart easily.

I already planned on bringing buckets for the brass but wouldn’t have thought about trash bags so that’s good to know.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The target stand thing is something I’ve got to figure out. I have a smaller SUV so I need to find something collapsible that supports that height or build something that can be put together and taken apart easily.

I already planned on bringing buckets for the brass but wouldn’t have thought about trash bags so that’s good to know.

I made my own in an afternoon. Followed these plans: http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/how-to-build-a-pvc-target-stand/
    Still works great today and is one of the few still standing on the range on a windy day.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III

PVC works well, you can buy smaller sections of pipe, a few different coupling pieces, and ta-da!, you have a target stand that fits in a trunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom