• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I was just notified today that WV has taken all fees off getting a CCW license in the state. Same procedure from your local sheriff just no money changes hands.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I asked that question to a WV. police officer. He said that if I had a Utah, or Florida nonresident permit, I could carry conceled. I could not carry without a permit from another state that was recognized by WV. He also told me that WV. does not issue nonresident permits. Same rules for open carry. I do know that in some cases the police really don't know and understand their own laws!
    Use caution!!

He was completely incorrect.

I was stopped a while ago in Wheeling, WV (GPS in vehicle sent me the wrong way down a one way street).

I told the officer I was carrying as I handed both my permit and DL over. He glanced at the permit and said "That's fine, but you don't actually need to have one now, Constitutional carry went into effect earlier this year." He handed the permit back and only held the license as he wrote out a warning.

He did ask where it was, told me not to take it out (duh), and while he went back to his vehicle another officer stood by my door... whether std policy or just precaution I don't know. We had a brief chat about what I was carrying and how messed up MD laws are (his comment, not mine!).

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    He was completely incorrect.

I was stopped a while ago in Wheeling, WV (GPS in vehicle sent me the wrong way down a one way street).

I told the officer I was carrying as I handed both my permit and DL over. He glanced at the permit and said "That's fine, but you don't actually need to have one now, Constitutional carry went into effect earlier this year." He handed the permit back and only held the license as he wrote out a warning.

He did ask where it was, told me not to take it out (duh), and while he went back to his vehicle another officer stood by my door... whether std policy or just precaution I don't know. We had a brief chat about what I was carrying and how messed up MD laws are (his comment, not mine!).

You'd probably be surprised how frequently people automatically go to show it to you without thinking about what they're doing.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Last week I vacationed in WV and carried concealed. It was nice to have that freedom.

WV is beautiful and I hope to get back there soon.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I got my ccw as soon as I established residency in WV three years ago, but only for reciprocity reasons. The only down side I've found so far is that I have to run out of the house nekkid every time I have to return to the gulag crossing the Potomac at Harper's Ferry. :lol2:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I asked that question to a WV. police officer. He said that if I had a Utah, or Florida nonresident permit, I could carry conceled. I could not carry without a permit from another state that was recognized by WV. He also told me that WV. does not issue nonresident permits. Same rules for open carry. I do know that in some cases the police really don't know and understand their own laws!
    Use caution!!

That is blatantly false. Also since nobody took the time to provide a cite for you, I will.

Direct from WV AG Office, as of 2019.

https://ago.wv.gov/gunreciprocity/Documents/On The Mark.pdf

From Handgunlaw, see page 12, it cites the entirety of WV code for constitutional carry.

https://handgunlaw.us/states/westvirginia.pdf

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I was just notified today that WV has taken all fees off getting a CCW license in the state. Same procedure from your local sheriff just no money changes hands.

That is incorrect.

What is correct is that the fee was lowered from $75 to $25 for everybody, except, veterans are exempt from the $25 fee. But veterans and non-veterans are still required to pay the $25 fee to the county sheriff.

That was passed this past legislative session.

krieger

Sep 9, 2016
    West Virginia
    To verify check WV state attorney generals office . Also note that Wv has reduced CCW fee to $25.00. But dont expect county Sheriff departments to be happy as its lost revenue down from the previous $80 . Many were upset with Govenor and Attorney general . If honorably discharged military the fee is waived. Again verify on WV attorney general website

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    To verify check WV state attorney generals office . Also note that Wv has reduced CCW fee to $25.00. But dont expect county Sheriff departments to be happy as its lost revenue down from the previous $80 . Many were upset with Govenor and Attorney general . If honorably discharged military the fee is waived. Again verify on WV attorney general website

It was 75 and 25 to pick up. Now it is 25 and 25 to pick up. Vets only have to pay the 25 to pick up.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I'll confess I'm a little confused as to why a state that allows constitutional concealed carry ... would have an in depth discussion about which concealed carry permits they honor or don't from other states.

Likewise, WV provides a $25 trip to the Sheriff's office in order to procure a WV concealed carry license. I presume that's so that WV residents have something they can present in other reciprocally friendly states that require a permit (Maryland ain't one of them!).

The reciprocity law was left in place to allow for new agreements to take place. Some states won’t recognize the WV permit without a formal agreement, even though in WV one is not needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom