• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    We’re new to this and will be shooting as a family so probably 4 handguns, 3 ear protectors, ammo and what else should we bring? Do you suggest backpacks, duffle bags, or a hard sided case. Are prescription glasses ok or do we need goggles?
    Thanks
    Mike

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There are side shields that slip over the eyeglass temples to close that space next to your eyes at the lenses to keep brass/debris out. If you so desire. I don't use them. Don't wear goggles over your glasses. It'll be miserable.
    Wear a ball cap. That will keep brass that could be bouncing off the indoor range wall down into your face.
    I just have a smaller duffle type bag I throw my stuff in. You might want to put your pistols in a "gun rug". Little foam zippered pouches. I use my pistols, so I just usually throw them in the bag. They haven't broken yet. Some people just wrap them in towels.
    Take a little bottle of gun lube (CLP) usually. I just lube mine real well before leaving the house. But depending on how much you shoot, they'll get dry and you'll need to wet then down. Not clean them, just lube them.
    Small screwdriver. If you have handgrips that use screws. In case they shoot loose.
    Some people will chime in with all kind of tool suggestions to make repairs on the spot. If you're new, you're probably not doing that right now.
    People here like to complicate things.
    Small boo boo first aid kit for scrapes and minor stuff.
    Again, people like to complicate things and will tell you to have tourniquets and a whole gunshot wound trauma kit. An indoor range will have that. But if you have one, take it. Just eventually start building one for when you might start venturing out away to outdoor ranges farther from City centers.
    You definitely need an Uplula brand magazine loader. It definitely saves your thumbs reloading mags.
    You really don't need a lot starting out, especially if going to an indoor range.
    It goes without saying, if going to an outdoor range, dress for the weather.
    Take some cheap softie earplugs to wear under your hearing protection. Sometimes indoor range can be much louder than outdoor ranges.
    A large sharpie marker to write on your targets. I use it to mark holes so I know which shots are my new shots.
    After a couple trips you'll start start finding things you'll want to have with you.

Enjoy!
    3ef2f47ca026b9b49eb43adcd2fda08e.jpg
    75c44050f889f364d606daaee81a34d8.jpg
    5286e458e08ab976688a6a1c3092fb70.jpg

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Yes to water and snacks for the crew.
    Ear Eye protection
    Warm clothing if outside and it's cold.
    If others are carrying stuff two bags sound good.
    With four guns, ammo, ear protection you will end up with a boat load of stuff.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yes to water and snacks for the crew.

Ear Eye protection

Warm clothing if outside and it's cold.

If others are carrying stuff two bags sound good.

With four guns, ammo, ear protection you will end up with a boat load of stuff.
    Not a good idea to eat at a range. At least an inside range. Don't need to ingest extra lead.
    That being said, someone would need to eat pretty often at the range a lot.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Not a good idea to eat at a range. At least an inside range. Don't need to ingest extra lead.
    That being said, someone would need to eat pretty often at the range a lot.

I can believe that.
    I have not shot inside for over 30 years.
    You could take your snack outside or in a lounge area.
    Or go for some pit beef afterwards!

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    My advice is to not buy a ton of stuff before you go shooting a few times.

Just go. And see what you feel like you wish you had while you were there.

Then buy only those things.

Personally I toss everything in a back pack. (Unless it's a rifle day). I don't even have a dedicated gun pack. I bring a gun, ammo, eye and ear protection and I'm good. If it's a rifle day...same set up except the rifle is in a rifle bag.

I've been doing it that way for 20 years. Never felt the need for anything else.

You can overdo it on the range supplies in a hurry

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I can believe that.
    I have not shot inside for over 30 years.
    You could take your snack outside or in a lounge area.
    Or go for some pit beef afterwards!

But don't forget to wash your hands before eating.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are side shields that slip over the eyeglass temples to close that space next to your eyes at the lenses to keep brass/debris out. If you so desire. I don't use them. Don't wear goggles over your glasses. It'll be miserable.
    Wear a ball cap. That will keep brass that could be bouncing off the indoor range wall down into your face.
    I just have a smaller duffle type bag I throw my stuff in. You might want to put your pistols in a "gun rug". Little foam zippered pouches. I use my pistols, so I just usually throw them in the bag. They haven't broken yet. Some people just wrap them in towels.
    Take a little bottle of gun lube (CLP) usually. I just lube mine real well before leaving the house. But depending on how much you shoot, they'll get dry and you'll need to wet then down. Not clean them, just lube them.
    Small screwdriver. If you have handgrips that use screws. In case they shoot loose.
    Some people will chime in with all kind of tool suggestions to make repairs on the spot. If you're new, you're probably not doing that right now.
    People here like to complicate things.
    Small boo boo first aid kit for scrapes and minor stuff.
    Again, people like to complicate things and will tell you to have tourniquets and a whole gunshot wound trauma kit. An indoor range will have that. But if you have one, take it. Just eventually start building one for when you might start venturing out away to outdoor ranges farther from City centers.
    You definitely need an Uplula brand magazine loader. It definitely saves your thumbs reloading mags.
    You really don't need a lot starting out, especially if going to an indoor range.
    It goes without saying, if going to an outdoor range, dress for the weather.
    Take some cheap softie earplugs to wear under your hearing protection. Sometimes indoor range can be much louder than outdoor ranges.
    A large sharpie marker to write on your targets. I use it to mark holes so I know which shots are my new shots.
    After a couple trips you'll start start finding things you'll want to have with you.

How much do you shoot in a session?

I have never had to relube a firearm at the range.

But probably the max I have shot is about 1500 rounds over 3 days without any extra lube.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have had a number of range bags over the years. If you go to the gun shows, you will find a number of range bags available. I like that they stand up on their own when open. And have a number of pockets are areas. And I have different bags for different range sessions. A small one for an hour at an indoor range with 1 - 2 handguns. Bigger ones for more extensive sessions.

I also put most handguns in "rugs", ie soft cases.

It also depends on how long your range session will be. A hour at an indoor range does not require much. Snacks and water not really required.

All day, like a class, yes, snacks, water. Protection against sun and rain. More extensive tools along, etc.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Depending on your range you may need targets, staples, and a staple gun to hang them.
    I usually carry a pen to mark targets and a small screw driver or allen key to adjust sights.

I collect my brass so I have latex gloves and empty ziplock bags for digging thru the brass.
    Depending where you go, the type of targets you shoot, how far you shoot, and caliber you may need little binoculars.
    You are not seeing .22 holes at 25 yards on a black target unless the sun or light is directly behind or you are at an indoor range where you can retract your targets.

Consider multiple bags for family members. Guns and ammo gets heavy in a hurry.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    How much do you shoot in a session?

I have never had to relube a firearm at the range.

But probably the max I have shot is about 1500 rounds over 3 days without any extra lube.

Doesn't matter. Who knows. Sometimes I'll throw 7 pistols in a bag and roll out the door.

Someone MAY need to lube a pistol while at the range.

Some pistols need more juice than others.
    Need me to give a few more reason for someone to keep some lube in their bags?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Depending on your range you may need targets, staples, and a staple gun to hang them.
    I usually carry a pen to mark targets and a small screw driver or allen key to adjust sights.

I collect my brass so I have latex gloves and empty ziplock bags for digging thru the brass.
    Depending where you go, the type of targets you shoot, how far you shoot, and caliber you may need little binoculars.
    You are not seeing .22 holes at 25 yards on a black target unless the sun or light is directly behind or you are at an indoor range where you can retract your targets.

Consider multiple bags for family members. Guns and ammo gets heavy in a hurry.

Sounds quite the extravagant outing for a new shooter to undertake.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I agree with using the foam earplugs inside of the over the head earmuffs, especially at indoor ranges.

Binoculars are also good because it can save you a lot of time running the target back and forth at indoor ranges. Outdoors, you will need them or a spotting scope for sure.

For handguns and ammo I use one of my retired office cases like one of these. You can put targets in one section, ammo, glasses and hearing protection and so on in the other compartments. For handguns, I generally keep them in the OEM case, but a gun pouch would fit well into my rolling case. For the BGOS people, nothing about the office case says guns inside.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/789102/Samsonite-Wheeled-Business-Case-13-H/

438761041be01.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Sight adjustments and seeing where you shoot is extravagant...
    Ooooookay to each their own.

New shooters have issues with holding and shooting a pistol properly. But hey, throw them a sight tool and start drifting sights to correct their poor grip.

He didn't post what pistols he has, but I'll go out on a limb and say that none of them are easily adjustable with a jewelers screwdriver.

But again, I'll defer again to "new shooter".

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    New shooters have issues with holding and shooting a pistol properly. But hey, throw them a sight tool and start drifting sights to correct their poor grip.

He didn't post what pistols he has, but I'll go out on a limb and say that none of them are easily adjustable with a jewelers screwdriver.

But again, I'll defer again to "new shooter".

You're right. I don't know what was I thinking.

Last edited:

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If you are taking a lady with you, as much as I hate to say this, no low cut shirts. Brass will find its way to hollowed ground and it will be hot. The brass that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom