• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I went out to the range at Fort A.P. Hill on Saturday and got to fire my new M4 for the first time with real ammo and I also used a high quality red dot sight. The last time we went to the range we went to Gunpowder, and the rounds we used were the plastic rounds shooting at paper targets at 25m with iron sights - some of us do pretty well (although I have yet to qualify Expert with that setup, I get close every time) but most are barely making the grade of 23/40, and we have some people who struggle to qualify at all.

Between June and now, the unit has gotten a lot of nice optics - mostly Aimpoint RDS, but a handful of Trijicon ACOGs. I didn't get an ACOG and got the Aimpoint RDS instead, which I was disappointed about, but it is what it is. Part of it is that with marksmanship scores affecting promotion points for E4s and E5s, (I'm an E6) they want people looking toward those promotions to have every advantage, so they got the few ACOGs as a means to boost their scores.

I have one inexpensive RDS on one of my two personal ARs - a Vortex Strikefire II, but I have yet to shoot my rifle with it. With that said, the experience at the range on Saturday taught me two things:

1.) I have an astigmatism - I always knew I had a "slight astigmatism" but this was the first time it limited me in a direct way
    2.) At 50 years old, my eyes are now bad enough that I'm having a hard time even seeing the 300m popups at the range, which sucks because even into my early 40s my vision was always excellent.

For my astigmatism with the RDS I effectively see two dots - the main dot which is the real dot, and I see a slightly less bright ghost dot up and to the left. I managed to score 34/40. The RDS was plenty effective for everything 200m and closer for popups, but I had issues even seeing beyond that due to my generally degraded vision. I also had an issue with a magazine where I completely missed even firing at one of my targets due to dealing with that issue, so I missed Expert once again - I need 36+ for that. I think I'd have gotten the additional shots necessary for Expert with the ACOG.

This brings me to my main point - at this point I think I'd like to move to magnified prism optics, and obviously the gold standard is the TA31 ACOG. The best price I've found is the Exchange - they are selling them for $1100, but typically I see them for around $1300-$1400, which inspires a few questions:

1.) Are there any solid alternatives to the ACOG in a lower price range, or is this one of those things where "buy once, cry once" really comes into play?
    2.) Are there sources online where people are buying/selling/trading gently used optics?
    3.) Should I get laser vision correction to fix the astigmatism permanently?

I've always felt that there is great value to be had buying used. I buy almost all of my guns used - I can't tell you how many guys flip perfectly good firearms at a loss, sometimes with only a single box of ammo through them. I don't know if the same thing holds true for optics though, especially not for a sight like an ACOG. I'd think that once a person has gotten to that point with a proven military grade optic, they're probably going to hang onto it, but optics could be like guns with people flipping them all the time.

Thoughts?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I've had Lasik, and it was awesome, but your eyes change over time. Still, after twenty years, I don't need glasses to drive, and the first ten or fifteen years were a real upgrade.

As for used optics, I'd look at the Equipment Exchage on ar15.com. Also, Samplelist.com (owned by SWFA) has demo units for good prices.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    SWFA runs samples list. They update the list daily. If you see what you want, buy it as it will probably be gone in short order. Prices are not face-to-face level but better than new. I have a Vortex 2.5-10 I got from the list that I use on my Ruger Precision Rimfire. Said it was in as-new condition and it was.

https://www.samplelist.com/entire-sample-list/riflescopes#brand=Trijicon

I've got an astigmatism too. Exhibits as targets 'worming' as I watch them. Focusing on the site and not the target helps but I think you're right that a magnified optic will help as long as you get the field of view you need for ops. Doc told me a few years ago that my prescription is too small to be helped by lasik and it was just as likely that it would be fixed as that it would be made worse.

Good luck

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That post went all over the place, so I am a little confused.

If this is for your personal rifle, I STRONGLY recommend a Razor Gen II-E over an ACOG. You can find them used all over the place, such as forums and aaoptics.com (if you act fast enough when they go back in stock). I have a TA01NSN and a Razor, and there's like no comparison; the Razor is better in basically every way besides weight.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Try the Vortex Spitfire

Comes in a 1x

https://vortexoptics.com/red-dots/spitfire-ar-prism-scope/vortex-spitfire-ar-1x-prism-scope.htm

and 3x variant

https://vortexoptics.com/red-dots/s...rtex-spitfire-3x-ebr556b-moa-prism-scope.html

(Don't buy them from Vortex's website. The MSRP price they ask is absurd. They are $100 less from every authorized dealer)

I have an astigmatism too. 20/20 vision until you out a red dot in front of my eye then I am blind as a bat. Looks like a little red explosion to me.

But the Spitfire has the reticle etched into the prism glass. So it's not a laser in the eye. If you can see cross hairs through a rifle scope, you can see the reticle on the Spitfire

For me it is clear as day despite a reflex red dot being a total blur

And it works without the light being on since the reticle is still visible. So if the battery dies...it still works. It's just black instead of red.

The reticles are different on the 1x vs 3x

Personally I like the 1x sight., keeping in mind that I don't shoot long distance much and if I want to I can hit 500yrds with irons anyway. So I don't personally go for a magnified optic on an AR but that is me. If long distance is the majority of your shooting the 3c makes more sense. For home defense scenarios....not so much.

And I was surprised to find that it is (mostly) parallax free when you are talking sub 250yrds. Above that and even a little parallax has you off target. For defensive scenarios....it's as parallax free as you could need it to be

All in all....it's not an ACOG but at 15% of the cost you get 80% of the optic. Not a bad trade off

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

If this is for your personal rifle, I STRONGLY recommend a Razor Gen II-E over an ACOG. You can find them used all over the place, such as forums and aaoptics.com (if you act fast enough when they go back in stock). I have a TA01NSN and a Razor, and there's like no comparison; the Razor is better in basically every way besides weight.

Amazon/EuroOptics seems to have the same price as aaoptics.com and are in stock ...

https://smile.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-1-6x24-Second-Riflescopes/dp/B082YP6NKQ

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I didn't think my post was that confusing - maybe longer than it needed to be due to the lead up as to why I'm looking at other than red dot optics. The short version:

1.) I have an astigmatism which makes red dots less than ideal
    2.) My eyes aren't what they used to be, so magnified prism scopes are desirable, thus ACOG
    3.) Real Trijicon TA31 ACOGs are expensive - are there decent less expensive alternatives?
    4.) Are there good sources for finding used quality optics that I don't know of?

I'm pretty sure the National Guard would frown upon me putting my own personal optic on my issue rifle, even for a range day, and even if it was to swap the CCO red dot for a personally owned ACOG TA31. At the same time, I like the idea of putting one on my second personal rifle. Just because I'd be limited in my National Guard duties (and I've only got 2 years left - I'm not sure if I'll stay past 20) doesn't mean I don't see the value of that particular optic for my own personal use. I just can't justify the expense of putting a $1400 optic on what is currently a $600 AR build, unless I could get that used $1400 optic on the used market for sub $1K.

I'll look at the gear exchange, although on the Equipment Exchange at ar15.com, although I don't currently have an account there - I'd imagine that it's like it is here - you need a decent post count before you qualify for the classifieds.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I would look at the Mil discount from Vortex and other manufacturers if you haven't already. I think its usually 30-40% off. If you are looking for Vortex and don't want to do the Mil program, use http://www.libertyoptics.com/ To see their prices you need to add the item to your cart. They usually do decent discounts but you will have to wait a few weeks to get it. The Razor Gen II-E was $1105 new when I just checked.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Try the Vortex Spitfire

Comes in a 1x and 3x variant

(Don't buy them from Vortex's website. The MSRP price they ask is absurd. They are $100 less from every authorized dealer)

I have an astigmatism too. 20/20 vision until you out a red dot in front of my eye then I am blind as a bat. Looks like a little red explosion to me.

But the Spitfire has the reticle etched into the prism glass. So it's not a laser in the eye. If you can see cross hairs through a rifle scope, you can see the reticle on the Spitfire. For me it is clear as day despite a reflex red dot being a total blur, and it works without the light being on since the reticle is still visible. So if the battery dies...it still works. It's just black instead of red.

The reticles are different on the 1x vs 3x

Personally I like the 1x sight., keeping in mind that I don't shoot long distance much and if I want to I can hit 500yrds with irons anyway. So I don't personally go for a magnified optic on an AR but that is me. If long distance is the majority of your shooting the 3c makes more sense. For home defense scenarios....not so much.

And I was surprised to find that it is (mostly) parallax free when you are talking sub 250yrds. Above that and even a little parallax has you off target. For defensive scenarios....it's as parallax free as you could need it to be

All in all....it's not an ACOG but at 15% of the cost you get 80% of the optic. Not a bad trade off
    I've looked at the offerings in the $300-$400ish price range, so the Vortex Spitfire 3X is definitely an option. I know that the folks in my unit who did get the ACOGs were raving about them, and they are fixed 4X. The second zero target for one of my E4 soldiers who got one was rediculous - all of his shots were in a raggedy hole you could cover with a nickel. My zero target was good, but not that good - on mine I had to rely on my ability to be consistent in how I was trying to use the red dot given my astigmatism.

Oddly, he scored 31 or 32 on the actual qualification, which surprised me - apparently he's not as good at quick acquisition and trigger control on timed targets, which is I guess where my experience helps me a bit. I'd have gotten 35 if not for the mag issue. I missed pretty much every 300, and I jerked the trigger on a 200 - I knew I missed when it went off, but it was at a point where I had two pop up, and after hitting the first I was worried I was going to miss the second shot altogether, so I took a hasty shot and missed anyway.

But taking that back to the fixed power magnified optics, I'm looking at the following:

Vortex Spitfire 3X
    Primary Arms SLx 3x32
    Burris AR 332 3x32
    Lucid P7 - 4x32
    Trijicon TA31RCO ACOG

The Vortex, Primary Arms and Burris all look like they may be made in the same place but with slightly different specs. The Lucid P7 looks great, but it doesn't look like nearly as big of a seller as the other three, so reviews are limited, even if those reviews look good.

And then there's the $1400 ACOG. If money was no issue it'd be a no-brainer, but I don't have $1400 burning a hole in my pocket, so I'd have to budget for one if I got one new.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I would look at the Mil discount from Vortex and other manufacturers if you haven't already. I think its usually 30-40% off. If you are looking for Vortex and don't want to do the Mil program, use http://www.libertyoptics.com/ To see their prices you need to add the item to your cart. They usually do decent discounts but you will have to wait a few weeks to get it. The Razor Gen II-E was $1105 new when I just checked.
    Interesting - I didn't realize that Vortex did a Military discount - that's good to know.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Interesting - I didn't realize that Vortex did a Military discount - that's good to know.

They have a pretty good one on ExpertVoice

Problem is the discount is off their MSRP which is way higher than retail to begin with. I found the retail price from an authorize dealer was roughly the same at the mil discount direct from Vortex

Also they are often out of stock direct from the factory

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland

Good info.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I also have pretty bad astigmatism and have ultimately sold or traded off my Aimpoints and Trijicon (MRO) as a result.

What I have ended up with on all of my rifles are either Reflex/ holographic sights with a 3x flip up magnifier or an LPVO. Holographic sights like Eotechs or the Vortex UH1 look great to me, but I know that some folks with astigmatism have issues with these too.

My favorite reflex is currently the Holosun 510C which I run with a Vortex Micro 3X magnifier. Crispest reticle I've ever seen.

Have you considered a decent LPVO? Or is fixed power truly the goal? I also rely on contacts/glasses, and an LPVO let's me focus the diopter to my prescription which allows me to run my gun with or without glasses which seems like an advantage to me. Really good LPVO's can get pricy though, but solid budget options do exist.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Have you considered a decent LPVO? Or is fixed power truly the goal? I also rely on contacts/glasses, and an LPVO let's me focus the diopter to my prescription which allows me to run my gun with or without glasses which seems like an advantage to me. Really good LPVO's can get pricy though, but solid budget options do exist.
    My goal is to get a personal optic that I can throw on my Guard rifle for range day - something with fixed but fairly low power magnification, and something that looks close enough to the RCOs and CCOs that it won't draw scrutiny. The CCO is workable to a point, but I'd like to qualify "Expert" again at some point, and the CCO makes that just a bit of a challenge - I had to choose which dot to use, and even then there wasn't a lot of clarity, and with my eyes being as bad as they are thanks to age and the astigmatism, I have a hard time even seeing the 300 meter targets, and that's where the magnification would come into play.

As it was, even with a magazine malfunction, I managed to score a 34 out of 40, but that's two shots away from Expert, and I know I can do better with a bit of assistance from the right optic.

I did a ton of reading and research on various optics. There doesn't seem to be anything that directly competes with the ACOG, but the two optics that seemed to really hit the mark at a lower price point were the Vortex Spitfire 3X, and the Primary Arms Prism 3X Gen III with the ACSS reticle, which seems to be a direct competitor with Vortex, is likely made by the same factory, and even though it's priced below the Vortex, it seems to edge it out in reviews.

I ended up choosing PA Prism 3X, and I ordered that a few days back. When it gets here my wife it grab it, throw wrapping paper on it, and it will wind up under the tree - merry Christmas. With that said, I still want a genuine ACOG at some point - it's the optic that all others are compared to at the moment. Having an optic in hand gives me some peace of mind - I'll zero it on my Carbine length 5.56 AR, and doing a re-zero on range day after swapping it to the top rail of my issue rifle should go pretty quickly. Or, if I stumble into a good deal on a used ACOG, then that's a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom