Starting to plan my escape to WV...how's Martinsburg?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Meh....Looked in WV for land and didn't really like what I saw. 40 ac. might get you 4 ac of useable land. Bought 20 in central Pa instead.

Depends on what your definition of "usable" is. I want 1/2ac for the house, a bit more for shooting, and that's it. Everything else can be vertical for all I care so long as it keeps some dumbass from settling right next to your house location. I definitely don't want to spend my time there mowing.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Depends on what your definition of "usable" is. I want 1/2ac for the house, a bit more for shooting, and that's it. Everything else can be vertical for all I care so long as it keeps some dumbass from settling right next to your house location. I definitely don't want to spend my time there mowing.

Very much this. I'm not going to start farming at my age, beyond a garden patch or so. The point of 40 acres is the buffer ... and perhaps some venison along the way.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    We are seeing the infiltration of the urban liberals even up here. They are buying plots all over the place as get away spots. My road, which used to be a sleepy unmarked two-lane road that you would see another vehicle on occasionally now has constant traffic. The china virus seems to be making the cockroaches scatter from the cities into the country.

A lot of my neighbors and myself are refugees from NOVA. Fortunately all left for the same reasons I did and are not bringing the liberal virus voting habits with them.

I don't see the allure of WV..there are more registered democrats than Republicans and it wouldn't take much to turn it bright blue..just a few lies from any Democrat administration to keep coal mines open would do it..it might appear on the surface to be red, but one of the 2 senators is a gun grabber (Joe Manchin) ..

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I don't see the allure of WV..there are more registered democrats than Republicans and it wouldn't take much to turn it bright blue..just a few lies from any Democrat administration to keep coal mines open would do it..it might appear on the surface to be red, but one of the 2 senators is a gun grabber (Joe Manchin) ..

Oh man, you really don't have any idea of how things work in WV do you?

The majority of registered Dems in the state are old-timer Byrd Democrats. Legitimate blue-collar Dems (the kind that don't really exist elsewhere anymore) that are redder than most of the Republicans on this board.

Promises to keep the mines open wouldn't sway things. Most of the southern coalfield Dems are well past retirement age and they had 30+ years of hearing Dems make promises about mining jobs that they never kept, ever. Which is why, when Clinton failed to stop steel dumping and coal dumping by foreign powers, shuttering foundries, mills, and mines across the country, but especially in WV, the state swung red for W. and has been red for 20 years. The only other run by a party in presidential elections in WV that long was when Roosevelt and Truman were in office. The state saw nothing but ruin from Clinton and Obama, they've seen nothing but progress under Reagan, Bush, W, and Trump.

What's more, Appalachians, but specifically West Virginians are extremely suspicious of anyone coming in and promising anything AT ALL. We're a colony, not a state, so we don't trust anyone who says "I'm from the government, I'm here to help" which is what the Democrat line has been for the past 20 years.

It's not swinging blue anytime soon. Manchin is only a Democrat because of the UMWA vote which he needs to succeed in the southern are of the state.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008

That's my sentiment, too. Except that as an N-SSA member, I've got year-round access to our range, which is an 800-acre facility. I can actually do OK in a townhouse...provided that I've got a clear 10 meter shot for air pistol training in the winter.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    It's not swinging blue anytime soon. Manchin is only a Democrat because of the UMWA vote which he needs to succeed in the southern are of the state.

I might add that he is only in office because of name recognition. He will never get re-elected in this state (unless he flips to Republican, which he probably will and uses his name recognition again).

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I might add that he is only in office because of name recognition. He will never get re-elected in this state (unless he flips to Republican, which he probably will and uses his name recognition again).

1000% This. A. James Manchin was well liked in certain circles, especially with the job creation program he helmed in the early 1980s that brought 28k new jobs to the state which was hurting from the energy crunch. He also helped clean the state up literally with the REAP program which literally pulled 100k+ junker cars from the landscape along with numerous appliances that had been surreptitiously dumped along roadsides and in rivers. Joe has used the family name of his Uncle to run some pretty lackluster terms in the gubernatorial and senate settings.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

They said the same thing the last time.

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    There is more to it than that. But after living in MD for 36 years, then escaping to WV has shown me how bad things really are in MD. Sadly I can understand why you are responding the way you are. I did the same thing, till I left and realized how much I had missed out on, due to the MGA and their games.

Leave MD forever and go to a free state and you'll begin to understand. It isn't easy to put in words that people can understand, what I feel, now that I'm not a MD resident. The only easy way to explain it is "freedom".

Right behind you.... I only waited as long as I did for the youngest to graduate HS...

When we moved to the Mid-A from FL, looked at all the states... everything was pretty much even in regards to moneys (taxes), figured WV was too far and my time was more important to me.... Then MD changed thier gun laws... pissed me off... talk about buyers remorse... Add in that company now wants to concentrate on projects in rural areas vs DC/Balt metro.... drive time there no longer matter... WV here I come!!!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Right behind you.... I only waited as long as I did for the youngest to graduate HS...

When we moved to the Mid-A from FL, looked at all the states... everything was pretty much even in regards to moneys (taxes), figured WV was too far and my time was more important to me.... Then MD changed thier gun laws... pissed me off... talk about buyers remorse... Add in that company now wants to concentrate on projects in rural areas vs DC/Balt metro.... drive time there no longer matter... WV here I come!!!
    It was the best decision I ever made. During all this panic, MD shops have to deal with 77r stuff, mass HQL apps, etc... Meanwhile, I just walked in, said I want that handgun, after NICS clears, I walk out the door. A fellow member was with me last weekend when I snagged 2x G17 gen 3's. He asked if I had a waiting period and had to come back for them. All I said was watch this.

I can buy anything I want, the taxes are lower, the air is cleaner (at least where I am), good neighbors, it's quiet and peaceful, and life moves a bit slower out in those hills.

Conundrum

Oct 19, 2007
    WV
    It was the best decision I ever made. During all this panic, MD shops have to deal with 77r stuff, mass HQL apps, etc... Meanwhile, I just walked in, said I want that handgun, after NICS clears, I walk out the door. A fellow member was with me last weekend when I snagged 2x G17 gen 3's. He asked if I had a waiting period and had to come back for them. All I said was watch this.

I can buy anything I want, the taxes are lower, the air is cleaner (at least where I am), good neighbors, it's quiet and peaceful, and life moves a bit slower out in those hills.
    Just got to watch out for the Mothman. It will sneak up on you.

Conundrum

Oct 19, 2007
    WV
    And it figures the local DMV in WV is appointment only with nothing available until mid/end of February.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Only have to worry about him during the holidays and over towards Pt. Pleasant.

White things, however, are said to roam the state. Far less benign or benevolent than the Mothman.

In all seriousness though. Anyone looking to escape in the near future, there have been some pretty good properties come up for little money.

https://www.landwatch.com/hampshire...-recreational-property-for-sale/pid/408722415

34.5 ac with a house that could be restored here: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/250-Lower-Pine-Grove-Rd-Baker-WV-26801/2078183927_zpid/

10.8ac with septic and power ready to go: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Doe-Hill-Rd-Sugar-Grove-WV-26815/2120248564_zpid

27ac in the quiet zone: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4-Willie-Mullenax-Rd-Arbovale-WV-24915/2077455455_zpid

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

No kidding it will, that was good beer you snagged for me. I still have one can left for when we are on PSN.

And it figures the local DMV in WV is appointment only with nothing available until mid/end of February.

Are you kidding me? I know it is a hike, but why don't you look at the Ranson location, near me?

Conundrum

Oct 19, 2007
    WV
    No kidding it will, that was good beer you snagged for me. I still have one can left for when we are on PSN.
    I'll be on Monday late afternoon/early evening after my house closing at 1300HRS. I'll have some Mothman with me.

DaemonAssassin said:
    Are you kidding me? I know it is a hike, but why don't you look at the Ranson location, near me?
    I'll check all of the other offices too. Now, for tags on a car, I can make an appointment for later this month. Just licensing services are backed up until February.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I used to frequent W.V. quite a bit and hunt there. Had a hunting cabin in a small town there back in the 80's and 90's. That was near Thomas and Davis and was a quiet town right near Garrett County and Kempton Maryland. Was all of a few dozen houses. Also further west in Bruceton mills and Kingwood, Albright W.V. I have a son with a farm in Kingwood and no restrictions or permits there to build. I really like the towns close to Hagerstown MD and go south into W.V. Places like Berkley Springs, Paw Paw and Springfield are nice too. My brother has two land plots of 5 or 6 acres each in Springfield W.V. He wants to sell me one of them. They have only three house even close to him and the North Branch of the Potomac River is across from him. They have some restrictions though an building. Its quiet though and may see only a few cars an hour come by. There are new communities being built now in town of Springfield. These are private high dollar neighborhoods though. I would stay clear of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom