• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Hey guys,

Redoing one of my rifles. Any AR that I've ever owned has had non magnified optic on it, normally eotech xps-2s. They are quicker, I like them more, and I don't generally shoot past a hundred yards so I don't feel that I need one.

But I'm redoing one of my rifles and would like to put a magnified optic on there. I'm not talking about a fixed 10 power scope or anything, just something for intermediate range and something durable and reliable. Looking to keep it under 500 bucks. I don't know whether illuminated reticle or not, so I'm open to ideas.

Almost certainly will never go past 300 yards because that's the longest range I go to, and its a 556 lol. Normally it will be between 25 and 200.

Thanks

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    After a month of research and a lot of help from guys on here, I went with a Vortex Viper PST II 1-6X. I had a ~$1500 budget and came in well under that at $600 from Cabelas. Haven’t shot it yet but playing with it outside I am happy with the decision so far.

I am also a fan of the EXPS2’s but couldn’t justify the cost of an EoTech LPVO when the Vortex met all my needs at half the price.

I emailed EoTech asking some questions about their LPVO’s - I have yet to get a response. That factored into my decision.

Last edited:

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    You sure you need a magnified site for 200 yards? That should be simple red dot or iron site distances. Maybe consider a 3x magnifier in front of the red dot?

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    The Vortex PST is a good choice. Too keep it under your budget, you may want to look at the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Any 1-6 optic will work. At 1X a lot of them are essentially red dots. The SWFA 1st focal plane scope comes to mind check that out. Primary Arms has several variable scopes in there line with the very useful ASCC reticle. I like a variable optic over a fixed 4X like an ACOG or something.

The other side of the coin is a magnifier for the eotech.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I have a YHM upper with a 1-4 Bushnell AR that will bang steel at 350 all day. It was like 150 bucks. I also have like 3 Burris M-Tac and I really like them but they're more expensive.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I have used the following with great results:

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x
    Swampfox LVPO 1-10x
    Sightron S-Tac 2-10x (with micro red dot mounted for close in stuff)

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6X on my answer to an AR-10. Mounted it this afternoon. Still needs leveled and torqued down.

Attachments

• C0CBF736-721F-4882-96F7-205120544492.jpg
      C0CBF736-721F-4882-96F7-205120544492.jpg
      75.9 KB · Views: 272

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have a few 1-X scopes, as others have said, the Vortex PST2 is about as good as you can do under a grand. It's an awesome crystal clear scope, daylight bright dot, quality inside and out, 90% a Razor for 1/2 the price. The Strike Eagle is probably the least expensive that doesn't have massive distortion at 1x, it's probably the best budget scope. The 1-8 isn't worth it imo, not as clean at 1x, and gets dark/loses contrast above 6x anyway. I have a Steiner P4Xi that has probably the best 1X image south of the Vortex Razor series(4x is great too), and a daylight bright dot, a lot lighter than the PST2, but only 1-4 and costs more than the PST2 when off sale.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have two Strike Eagles and one old Millet (not made anymore). The 1-8x SE weighs less than the 1-6x SE. When the magnification is cranked on either, there is very little wiggle room for cheek placement. I prefer my Nikon 2-8x BDC, it is pretty forgiving at the max magnification. If I need to shoot close, offset red dot or irons take care of business.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I like vortex for a number of reasons (customer service if ever needed is excellent btw). The strike eagle is a great lightweight option if breaking into the lpvo market. Recently upgraded an lpvo to include an over the top rmr and that set up is hard to beat.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Viper PST Gen II 1-6x is probably your best pick in that price range.

That Vortex is a good scope. The daylight illumination is very bright. True 1x. It’s pretty much as fast as a red dot on 1x.

SWFA 1-4x is pretty good for a bit cheaper. Although the illumination is not bright enough to be visible in the daylight. But the diamond reticle makes it pretty easy to shoot fast with. Crisp clear glass.

I have looked through a strike eagle in the store once, and the glass did not seem clear to me. It looks distorted, fish eye lense.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Thanks so much for the replies everyone.

I've settled on the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6.

Questions:

1. Mil dot or MOA?
    2. What is a bomb proof mount that you recommend? I'm assuming it doesn't come with one.

Thanks

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Thanks so much for the replies everyone.

I've settled on the Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 1-6.

Questions:

1. Mil dot or MOA?
    2. What is a bomb proof mount that you recommend? I'm assuming it doesn't come with one.

Thanks

Mil or MOA is up to you, one isn’t better than the other it’s personal preference.
    I will admit that there are better mounts out there but I have mine in a one piece Vortex mount and haven’t had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I went with the Vortex Precision Matched rings but its on a Browning BAR not an AR so that might not be your best choice for that application.

I have loosely mounted the scope but have not leveled or torqued it down yet.

Wheeler torque screwdriver and scope leveling kit just came in. If anyone in the Northern, Mid-Calvert County needs to borrow it, hit me up.

Attachments

• 9A2D2669-C235-4A0F-9D9A-9F93F653335C.jpg
      9A2D2669-C235-4A0F-9D9A-9F93F653335C.jpg
      32.4 KB · Views: 218
    • 40FEF00F-2461-4E78-AD65-9B52CC5A8E92.jpg
      40FEF00F-2461-4E78-AD65-9B52CC5A8E92.jpg
      65.1 KB · Views: 229

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members