• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I have a new Henry rifle on which I will be mounting a scope. I have all the parts and a new FAT Wrench for proper torquing - I'm ready to go. My only concern is under the scope base. I emailed Henry and the rep advised me to degrease all mating surfaces including screw holes, mounting surface, and scope base. This makes sense, but what's stopping rust from developing under the base over time? What's your experience with this? This is my first serious optic mounting and I'd like to get it right.

Thanks

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    “ Thread Lock generally will not adhere to oily surfaces.” - Jack Weigand

https://www.jackweigand.com/scope-mount-installation-tips.html

I totally get your question and it is a logical one. Once you have everything together and if you’re anticipating shooting in inclement weather or even high humidity no reason you can run a seam of silicone grease around the joints where right angle surfaces come together.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    With proper thread engagement, you should not need loctite. The reason to degrease is that torque values are given for dry (degreased) surfaces. There are multiplier values for all different coatings and lubricants, but the short version is to just use the manufacturer specified values on dry parts.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    With proper thread engagement, you should not need loctite. The reason to degrease is that torque values are given for dry (degreased) surfaces. There are multiplier values for all different coatings and lubricants, but the short version is to just use the manufacturer specified values on dry parts.
    This^^^

I always oiled the exposed metal parts, but degreased the screws and threaded bores with 90%+ alcohol. This keeps nasty surprises under the scope bases to a minimum and still provides dry torque values and ease of disassembly.

LocTite on scope base screws is an unnecessary mess and just a leftover practice from fragile and difficult-to-engage slotted-head screws. About half of the gunsmithing class I took in the '70s was about getting slot-heads as tight as possible, getting them out without breaking the head, and how to drill/mill them out once the screw head is broken by you or others. The move to Allen-head screws improved torque values, but these small screws STILL could not be torqued to full value and LocTite was still advisable. Fast forward to this century and the modern Torx-head screws that CAN be torqued to full value and hold as designed without slopping LocTite on everything.

Loctite is a valuable product for many OTHER things, but not for scope bases anymore.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Thank you for the replies. My biggest concern is still rust developing between the underside of the scope base and the top of the barrel where the base mounts. I ended up taking a hybrid approach that I was comfortable with.

I degreased all holes and screws.
    I wiped a lightly oiled cloth over the barrel where the base mounts, so there is some oil there.
    The scope base directions specifically recommended using blue Loctite on the base screws, so I did that.
    Installed the base and torqued the screws to spec.

I'm pretty obsessive compulsive about this stuff but I'm satisfied with the approach at this point. I did a lot of reading online and some people coat the underside of the base in Loctite. Others do nothing or lightly oil like I did and have not had issues. I will only be hunting with the rifle in MD and don't plan to in heavily inclement weather. I also store my firearms in cool, low humidity conditions, so I think it will be fine.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I see it as a nonissue. Oil coated or wiped on the arm during maintenance will migrate where moisture would seep. Ever take a rusted assembly apart and notice all the unrusted metal underneath?

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I see it as a nonissue. Oil coated or wiped on the arm during maintenance will migrate where moisture would seep. Ever take a rusted assembly apart and notice all the unrusted metal underneath?

Exactly. Don't overthink this.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you are really worried, after assembly and time for the Loctite to set, put a drop of oil at the seam. It will wick in and coat all the parts that need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom