AR pistol to SBR... can I keep my folder?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I've been told it will allow being fired once. No way I would try, but...

It very well may, but not continually, and if we restrict stuff "because it can do it once" a whole shit ton of stuff would get banned.

Get rid of the "It can do it once". It IS NOT designed to be fired folded (once or not), so it DOES NOT qualify as a folding stock.

I'm really getting tired of BGOS, not only here in Maryland, but nationwide.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It very well may, but not continually, and if we restrict stuff "because it can do it once" a whole shit ton of stuff would get banned.

Get rid of the "It can do it once". It IS NOT designed to be fired folded (once or not), so it DOES NOT qualify as a folding stock.

I'm really getting tired of BGOS, not only here in Maryland, but nationwide.

BGOS is something I tend not to suffer. I was only trying to provide information. Either it can be fired while folded or it can't. I've been told it can. That's all.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    A5 buffer tube and a B5 systems bravo stock.

The b5 stock has the retainer pin/spring about .5 inches further forward, resulting in a slightly longer LOP when fully extended.

I used one to get my 10.3 inch to 29.25 with a standard carbine buffer tube.

I suspect an A5 buffer plus B5 stock would get you there with a 10.0 inch barrel. It’s a darn good stock too.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have read it right here on this site that a LawTac folder doesn't count as a folding stock. Something about it not being designed to fire with it folded. Usual I am not a lawyer here, but I'm not sure on this one.

Can you cite this? I can’t find anything that states that on their website.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Indeed , I would be pleased for such a logical concept to be true .

Any cites from MSP LD , or ATF to that effect ?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    On whose website? Lawtac? It can be fired once but obviously won't cycle. And I recall LawTac saying they don't recommend doing it at all.
    Yup. Being as the little plunger thingy is plastic. Try it twice and...

There is another folder company that touts the ability to shoot(un-cycled), but LawTac does not promote nor recommend it with their folder.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    BGOS is something I tend not to suffer. I was only trying to provide information. Either it can be fired while folded or it can't. I've been told it can. That's all.

Can it be fired continually when folded. If the answer is NO, then it does not qualify as a folding stock, only a folding storage accessory.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Can you cite this? I can’t find anything that states that on their website.

Per discussions with MSP (no there is nothing in writing) it was done as a discussion, if you can't continually fire the firearm with the stock folded, then it does not count as an evil feature. The lawtac is a strorage device, not a folding stock, firing device.

Law Tac said:
    The Law Tactical Folding Stock Adapter was designed for low profile transport of AR rifles in non-permissive environments. The adapter is ideal for any situation that requires a smaller profile weapon for transport and storage

Directly from their website, it is a STORAGE and TRANSPORT device, not a device meant to make a more compact operating firing platform.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Can it be fired continually when folded. If the answer is NO, then it does not qualify as a folding stock, only a folding storage accessory.

So are you saying the LawTac folder is GTG on any post 2013 AR?

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Per discussions with MSP (no there is nothing in writing) it was done as a discussion, if you can't continually fire the firearm with the stock folded, then it does not count as an evil feature. The lawtac is a strorage device, not a folding stock, firing device.

Directly from their website, it is a STORAGE and TRANSPORT device, not a device meant to make a more compact operating firing platform.

Guess that means the Deadfoot Arms folder is a no go...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Guess that means the Deadfoot Arms folder is a no go...

If you mean the modified cycle systems, then yes, they qualify as an evil feature.

Not so much banned unless you also have a flash hider or a grenade/flare launcher mounted.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    For a standard carbine buffer tube, what if someone 3d printed a 1" extension for the tube profile with two additional positions, with a through-hole for a machine screw along the buffer's axis. Then the person TIGed a nut onto the rear of a standard carbine buffer tube, so the plastic extension and screw could be attached.

You'd have to pull on the latch like you were removing it for disassembly to switch between the aluminium and plastic sections, but you'd still be able to move the stock an additional 1" without tools.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    For a standard carbine buffer tube, what if someone 3d printed a 1" extension for the tube profile with two additional positions, with a through-hole for a machine screw along the buffer's axis. Then the person TIGed a nut onto the rear of a standard carbine buffer tube, so the plastic extension and screw could be attached.

You'd have to pull on the latch like you were removing it for disassembly to switch between the aluminium and plastic sections, but you'd still be able to move the stock an additional 1" without tools.

Are you referring to getting to the 29" OAL for an SBR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom