• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Final answer, yes that is legal so long as he doesn’t travel in to Baltimore city or MoCo.

There are, I believe a few other municipalities in MD grandfathered in for their laws on transport/open carry of a long gun.

Basically it means it must be in a case in the trunk. Not sure how that would apply to a pickup. Probably need a bed box.

At any rate, just laying there or even secured to a long gun Mount, but openly visible isn’t the best idea. If you are not a person of color, not likely to get shot for it. On the other hand, might still make an officer real nervous.

And beyond that, unless this is only for to and from that farm without stopping, leaving guns or Ammo in plain sight is a good way to need to buy a new gun and/or Ammo and a replacement side window.

This is good advice- your vehicle should show no sign of being involved in firearms and rifle should be stowed covered in the back/trunk.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I try to remember one thing above all, the person pulling you over, or questioning you for what ever reason, may not know the law.

The real winners will be the attorneys. Good Luck OP.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Yes you can, except for Grandfathered ordinances, most notably Balt City, MoCo, and Leonardtown .

2. Being * Wise* is a separate discussion .

Any such discussion on MDS quickly devolves into heated discussion , where each faction is emphatically giving answers to different questions .

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    Thread bump, but does anyone know the ordinance for balt city? I had an attempted car jacking yesterday while at a stop light with my toddler in the car. I carry a mix of non lethal in the truck, but so far my best defense has been vigilance. Yesterday happened so quick that I barely saw it coming. I’m not ready to be a victim. It’s time to up the options in the truck.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Thread bump, but does anyone know the ordinance for balt city? I had an attempted car jacking yesterday while at a stop light with my toddler in the car. I carry a mix of non lethal in the truck, but so far my best defense has been vigilance. Yesterday happened so quick that I barely saw it coming. I’m not ready to be a victim. It’s time to up the options in the truck.

Yea, stay out of the city.
    You said it happened so fast that you barely saw it, how would get to a covered unloaded firearm to respond? Serious question.

The police would see you as the threat, if they see the firearm, they will most likely arrest and let the courts sort it out. Please do not start cop bashing as this is not intended in my comments. These guys have a tough enough job.

If you can get a CCW in the PRK of MD, go for it. Otherwise I would not keep a firearm in my vehicle in the city. But thats me. IANAL.

RD- your take?

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    Getting out of the city is the eventual end, as well as this state. But I still live here for now, so options are better than none. I do agree, having an unloaded firearm isn’t an option. I didn’t have time to reach for it much less load it. This city sucks and the fact that a man driving a toddler to and from a sitter has to even contemplate this stuff tells me to gtfo of the city ASAP.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland

Sweet Jesus man, I'm sorry to hear that.

Yes, an unloaded, cased firearm in that circumstance is nothing but an extra gift for a carjacker. Glad you had the non-lethal means of defense.

I hope you can bug out soon.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Pony up the $ for a genuine Taser .

And of course : Doors Always Locked , windows always fully up . Always maintain an opening to move vehicle , and remember the vehicle itself is 4,000 lb impact weapon .

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I keep a blade clipped to my door pocket and another in the closest cup holder at all times.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    So you're assuming that the carjacker does not have a firearm. Otherwise you are just bringing a knife to a gunfight.

I'm not licensed to carry in MD. A blade, two fists, and a foot long flashlight is better than nothing in CommieLand.

FWIW I don't go into the city either.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Can you tell us what street was that? Not that it does make any difference...

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    Can you tell us what street was that? Not that it does make any difference...
    Fayette. About two blocks east of Hopkins. Pepper blaster is a good idea for some situations. I had a can of bear spray in the door for a while, but I took it out thinking I could end up spraying more of it in the truck than out of it. Call me Charlie Brown, but I got caught on the GW bridge in NYC this summer in traffic during a protest. That was different in that I had time to figure out a retrograde. This was lightning fast. I pinned the gas this time and blasted through a red light with no issue. What spurns this question of the group is the “what if” I need a plan B. Avoidance is key, but options always help. I appreciate all the feedback.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Fayette. About two blocks east of Hopkins. Pepper blaster is a good idea for some situations. I had a can of bear spray in the door for a while, but I took it out thinking I could end up spraying more of it in the truck than out of it. Call me Charlie Brown, but I got caught on the GW bridge in NYC this summer in traffic during a protest. That was different in that I had time to figure out a retrograde. This was lightning fast. I pinned the gas this time and blasted through a red light with no issue. What spurns this question of the group is the “what if” I need a plan B. Avoidance is key, but options always help. I appreciate all the feedback.

In the interest of helping the rest of us be prepared for this kind of "encounter". could you explain how it went down? At others noted above, I try to always make sure that doors are locked and windows up, but that might help, given the situation.

JoeR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom