• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Given that losing the dot is the biggest problem new dot shooters have, I dunno how a smaller window is gonna help that. This feels like a dot designed from the discredited Gabe Suarez school of thinking... "use the irons to find the dot".

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Given that losing the dot is the biggest problem new dot shooters have, I dunno how a smaller window is gonna help that. This feels like a dot designed from the discredited Gabe Suarez school of thinking... "use the irons to find the dot".

I was thinking more along the lines of it sitting a little lower, roughly where your traditional sights might be. I have no idea though, just speculating.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I was thinking more along the lines of it sitting a little lower, roughly where your traditional sights might be. I have no idea though, just speculating.
    Sitting lower doesn't really do anything in terms of acquisition or retention. I guess it marginally reduces height over bore, but that's not a real problem with more traditional MRDSs either.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I was interested until I saw the dingus hanging off the back of the firearm. One thing I appreciate about Leupold is that occasionally they’ll swing for the fences on an unusual concept like this or the D-EVO. Doesn’t seem to work out too often, but at least they give it a shot. I’ll definitely be following reviews to see what those say, but don’t plan on purchasing one for now.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I was interested until I saw the dingus hanging off the back of the firearm. One thing I appreciate about Leupold is that occasionally they’ll swing for the fences on an unusual concept like this or the D-EVO. Doesn’t seem to work out too often, but at least they give it a shot. I’ll definitely be following reviews to see what those say, but don’t plan on purchasing one for now.

Totally agree. They're the most innovative manufacturer for sure.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I just bought a D-EVO, as a matter of fact.

Leupold definitely marches to their own tune, and I do think that's a commendable trait. The problem is that they don't quite make it to success as often as they should. The D-EVO has a somewhat picky eyebox, the Freedom RDS was infamously fragile, the reticle choices on the lightweight (and otherwise impressive) Mark5HD line are not up to par, they don't have a low-end 1-4x with a true 1x, the LCO was ludicrously overpriced, etc. It's like they get 90% of the way there and then go "screw it, release as is".

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    It does seem like a small field of view and it could be difficult to find the dot. It can be hard to find the dot on the larger size red dot sights. I also am not sure about the dot co-witnessing with the front sight. That was the big marketing point when they first came out with red dot sights for AR-15’s, but I have always felt like the iron sight was occluding my view of the red dot. Apparently I was not the only one with that opinion, because now the mounts that are lower 1/3 co-witness are pretty standard on AR’s. I wish Leopold good luck. I own a bunch of their hunting scopes, but lately I have been buying other brands.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Yep, they never seem to release a "gen 2" version.
    You and erwos make great points. It wouldn’t take a lot of market research or social media engagement to figure out what they are doing well and what they are doing poorly, and how to improve upon products that don’t necessarily need to be thrown out with the proverbial bathwater. Meanwhile you have a company like Vortex that is more willing to redesign an optic based on consumer feedback. The UH-1 Gen 1 was a pretty good optic, but the USB port (which I think they envisioned would alleviate concerns about battery life on a “duty” or “night stand optic”) was a bit of a dud, it lacked true night vision compatibility, and the reticle ghosted. So they release a gen2 with features more in line with consumer demand, and I bet they’ll release a Gen 3 with a cleaner reticle (for those who like to sit in their basements and stare at holographic reticles to justify complaints that they are pixelated instead of looking through them at actual targets) before Leupold ever makes minor tweaks or updates to many of their products that just need slight improvements to be successful.

One of my favorite examples of Leupold’s failure to improve decent products to make them great is with their LCO. Meanwhile Sig (staying with relatively American products) has a similar form factor with the Romeo 8 that is a very strong seller and has a fair amount of praise heaped upon it.

Perhaps these aren’t entirely fair comparisons, but I think it makes for interesting discussion. Often they make the mistake of being too conservative with some product lines, and other times they are too out in left field and resist dialing it back a bit. Kind of a weird duality, almost as if there are multiple generations within the company at odds, and ultimately the leadership seems to default to keeping what they got with some products, and to cutting losses instead of investing in product revisions on their more innovative releases.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    It does seem like a small field of view and it could be difficult to find the dot. It can be hard to find the dot on the larger size red dot sights. I also am not sure about the dot co-witnessing with the front sight. That was the big marketing point when they first came out with red dot sights for AR-15’s, but I have always felt like the iron sight was occluding my view of the red dot. Apparently I was not the only one with that opinion, because now the mounts that are lower 1/3 co-witness are pretty standard on AR’s. I wish Leopold good luck. I own a bunch of their hunting scopes, but lately I have been buying other brands.
    I’m thinking the tube may help with alignment and sight picture, kind of like how an aimpoint acro is relatively easy to pick up. Not sure how much given the small size of the tube, but I guess we shall see when the reviews start rolling in.

It may also serve as a sort of ghost ring rear sight, for those who want inline BUIS.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’m thinking the tube may help with alignment and sight picture, kind of like how an aimpoint acro is relatively easy to pick up. Not sure how much given the small size of the tube, but I guess we shall see when the reviews start rolling in.

It may also serve as a sort of ghost ring rear sight, for those who want inline BUIS.

This what I was thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom