• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JChris

Jan 10, 2021
    Clarksburg
    What would the tax stamp be for? In your example, it would not figure into the problem. As for the rest of your example, I think it has been covered. The general consensus is "not recommended".

The general consensus being, you should not simultaneously possess a AR15 rifle & a AR15 style pistol;
    because parts are interchangeable?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The general consensus being, you should not simultaneously possess a AR15 rifle & a AR15 style pistol;
    because parts are interchangeable?

Incorrect.

The point is, don't have ONLY a rifle lower and a pistol upper. Unless you have a tax stamp.

If you have a pistol lower, you may have any number of pistol or rifle uppers.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Well that begs the question doesn't it:
    If I have rifle lower in the house, and a 8" pistol upper in the house, even with a tax stamp floating about; it will never add up to 29.01" minimum length

What does the tax stamp say for COAL and barrel length?

You could have a pre-2013 tax stamp, or even post-2013 before they decided SBRs had to be 29".

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Look at it this way.

If you have only a rifle lower and at least one pistol upper, what can you do with the upper? If you put it on the lower, you have an illegal SBR.

They assume you are smart enough to not put the pistol upper on a rifle lower, IF you have a pistol lower to use.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    I know people who stow their 'extra' ARs in their safes with the uppers separated from the lowers. I see no danger in this.
    Hypothetical: I’m certainly not advocating you do something illegal, but if all pistol uppers were stored in the home/safe attached to a lower with a pistol brace wouldn’t this be legal? Even if rifle stocks were lying around as spare parts. I mean, lots of people have spare parts in the house. As long as there was at least one rifle upper in the house how could this be considered constructive intent?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hypothetical: I’m certainly not advocating you do something illegal, but if all pistol uppers were stored in the home/safe attached to a lower with a pistol brace wouldn’t this be legal? Even if rifle stocks were lying around as spare parts. I mean, lots of people have spare parts in the house. As long as there was at least one rifle upper in the house how could this be considered constructive intent?
    As long as the lowers with the braces on them qualify as pistol lowers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom