• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Ladies and gents,

For the last two mornings, I've spent about a full hour cleaning up multiples of multiples of threads on the same topic.

Yes, it's an inevitable fact of life that it occurs, but the scale of the problem is always magnified this time of year as everyone rushes to think that they are "breaking" some political or gun related news while the General Assembly is in session

You can help us out by doing a couple of things:

1: Searching for existing threads
    2: Label any new threads clearly as to the content
    3: Place any new threads in the correct forum. There ARE forums here other than the Water Cooler ;)

Yes, the level of moderation with regards to the political/gun stuff steps up this time of year because of the exigencies of the legislative session. If your thread or post disappears, don't take it personally.

It's because it's either a duplicate or it has conflicting information in it.

Again, it's not personal. :thumbsup:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Hint: if you've gotten your subject from another gun site, an email alert or mass forwarding by a shooting buddy, there's a good chance it's already been posted.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Hint: if you've gotten your subject from another gun site, an email alert or mass forwarding by a shooting buddy, there's a good chance it's already been posted.

Ironically, some of the very things you're talking about....originated here :D

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    My thread was locked and the link you provided to the thread had only a few references to the subject and the video I posted was no where to be found in your link. I did a search prior to posting the thread and found nothing with that video or really much content.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I saw one thing the other day that could cause some confusion.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=50314

clearly stated, etc.. but we were pointed to a MSI update thread that would have been hard to initially find the discussions.. while I appreciate the effort MSI puts into this.. the update thread and the discussions could have been kept separate or merged FROM the MSI thread..

just my 2c

edit: I guess it wasnt a clearly marked thread title.. whatever I am hungover and cant read yet..

shepard

Jan 7, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I did a search today(multiple words) before I posted and came up with nothing.I wouldn't have started a new thread if I found one on the subject

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I did a search today(multiple words) before I posted and came up with nothing.I wouldn't have started a new thread if I found one on the subject

Hints:

- Make sure your search covers the whole post not just the title/subject.
    - For Youtube videos search on the code at the end of the URL ex. KX7643U
    - Search on unique names in the source article ex. "Dr. Seymour Butts"
    - If you're a noob, < 50 posts you can't see the Water Cooler

Last edited:

Saginaw

Jan 13, 2013
    Fort Meade, Odenton
    Ladies and gents,

For the last two mornings, I've spent about a full hour cleaning up multiples of multiples of threads on the same topic.

Yes, it's an inevitable fact of life that it occurs, but the scale of the problem is always magnified this time of year as everyone rushes to think that they are "breaking" some political or gun related news while the General Assembly is in session

You can help us out by doing a couple of things:

1: Searching for existing threads
    2: Label any new threads clearly as to the content
    3: Place any new threads in the correct forum. There ARE forums here other than the Water Cooler ;)

Yes, the level of moderation with regards to the political/gun stuff steps up this time of year because of the exigencies of the legislative session. If your thread or post disappears, don't take it personally.

It's because it's either a duplicate or it has conflicting information in it.

Again, it's not personal. :thumbsup:
    Guilty will correct.

I realize now that’s what my dad met by the definition of insanity is doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    search term control?

It appears that when using the search function it is OR for all the terms I provide. Is there a way to make it AND so only threads or posts with all the terms show in the results? Am I missing seeing a button or check box someplace?

Rick

NRA Life Member
    Feb 25, 2016
    Eastern Shore
    It appears that when using the search function it is OR for all the terms I provide. Is there a way to make it AND so only threads or posts with all the terms show in the results? Am I missing seeing a button or check box someplace?

You should be able to use:

Maryland AND shooters

Maryland OR shooters (this is the default if you don't use any operators)

Maryland NOT shooters

"Maryland Shooters" (search for an exact phrase by using quotes)

Even though these all should work, I've always had better success using Google's search parameters, e.g.,

"Maryland Shooters" -site:mdshooters.com

Hope this helps.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Finally, "cracked" the search terms code here

Use "advanced search" in the drop down. Lets you be more specific in terms etc.

So I have learned I get the desired search results doing this in the advanced search page. https://www.mdshooters.com/search.php

In the "search by key word" field put in your first word selection i.e., "word1" then + then "word2" with no spaces between them. The search term would look something like this [magazine+capacity+advisory] if you wanted only posts with all three of those words in them. Don't forget to change the search time limit near the bottom of the page too.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    If Joe Schmuckatelli dies and someone has a thread "Joe Schmuckatelli-RIP" with no space between Schmuckatelli and the 'dash' before RIP, that thread will not come up if you search on Schmuckatelli.

I have been a 'Dupe' violator because of that.

I wish the MDS search function would find Schmuckatelli whether or not there is a dash right after it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom