• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    If I had a place, I'd be game, but unfortunately, I'm stuck hunting public as well. I had one visit to a private place this year and that's where I nailed my buck.

I think things have just been weird this year. Warm weather later than usual, more people out and about thanks to many folks being able to play hookey easier thanks to COVID, rut starting right at the beginning of the month but gun season starting at the very end, etc. etc.

Have you ever hunted Little Patuxent State Park to hunt? There are quite a few nice parking lots in different areas of Montgomery / Howard Counties. I usually go near Lisbon not far from Woodbine on Route 94. Also Annapolis Rock road off of Route 108. Its plenty of land and river divides the counties. I have been going there for like 45 years. Usually get two deer per year there and quite a few bucks.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Have you ever hunted Little Patuxent State Park to hunt? There are quite a few nice parking lots in different areas of Montgomery / Howard Counties. I usually go near Lisbon not far from Woodbine on Route 94. Also Annapolis Rock road off of Route 108. Its plenty of land and river divides the counties. I have been going there for like 45 years. Usually get two deer per year there and quite a few bucks.

I have not. I've only ever hunted some private land, McKee Besher's, and Monocacy NRMA. I'll look into it though, thanks for the info and heads up!

mauser58

Dec 2, 2020
    More of him. Also a mini 8 who wanted to ham it up for the camera.

Also the giant fox that has been menacing my chicken coop some. Almost connected with him a couple days ago, but he took off as I got to the door with my 22

Its amazing what you can get on the game trail cams. I see other deer hidden in the brush in the pics. Looks like another with the fox. One to left side and is a spike buck . Also in the buck pic like two above that there are two other deer hidden almost in the brush. Looks like an interesting place

mauser58

Dec 2, 2020
    My first antlered buck! Got him with my big scary rifle. .308 I think 150 gr soft point. Spined him and he just dropped like rock and didn't even move. He has a big body on him. Got him at 50 yards when he put his head down. He was facing me, so I took a hail mary shot for the spine. I dont think I've ever made a better shot on any critter. It was 5PM and i could barely see him but got the scope on him.

Congratulations on the Buck.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Was lucky enough to get out for Sika down near Blackwater yesterday. Got this 5 from just under 200 yards with 308. Over gunned but the Nosler Ballistic tip did its job, dropped got up and dropped for good 10 yards from shot spot.
    Nice! Congrats! Best eating animal as far as I’m concerned. I have never had ribeye in the sky though. I hear that tops it all.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Nice! Congrats! Best eating animal as far as I’m concerned. I have never had ribeye in the sky though. I hear that tops it all.

Thanks !

Love it. Wife will not eat whitetail but will happily enjoy Sika steak.

Never had ribeye of the sky either. Buddy who hunts all over does say it is amazing.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Was lucky enough to get out for Sika down near Blackwater yesterday. Got this 5 from just under 200 yards with 308. Over gunned but the Nosler Ballistic tip did its job, dropped got up and dropped for good 10 yards from shot spot.

Nice stag! Congrats! :thumbsup:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Its amazing what you can get on the game trail cams. I see other deer hidden in the brush in the pics. Looks like another with the fox. One to left side and is a spike buck . Also in the buck pic like two above that there are two other deer hidden almost in the brush. Looks like an interesting place

Yup. Wish there was more space, but my neighbors are okay with me bow hunting. Getting a new neighbor soon though. Hope they are good with it too, or it shuts down where that big buck is standing as it’s only about 100yds or so from that neighbor’s house. Wooded area is about 100-150yds wide with the creek at the bottom. Back half of my property is that creek bottom and woods.

I’ve been dropping does, and a 5-pt last season, in my side yard in a clearing that’s about 50yds in diameter with my chicken coop at the corner of it. Throw some corn out there. Last season and this one it’s a group of does and fawns coming in to the corn and browsing on clover. Occasional buck moves through, but none are regulars. The 5-pt last season I caught right at last light as he was taking a break from chasing tail for a bite to eat. I’d seen him the evening before chasing a doe up the hill and in to the woods.

Just haven’t had much chance to really hunt back in the woods along those travel corridors where I know there are plenty of decent bucks moving through.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Nice little swamp donkey. :thumbsup: I'm so jelly!

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I'm trying a new spot in one corner of a big soybean field that's been harvested. The corner juts out so I have a good view of two different good areas. One area is on the north side and there's about 200 yards to a corner of that field. The other area is to the south and the field goes about 500 yards. Tree lines border the areas of field. I saw several nice does come out of the south field first then checked the north field. Two pretty nice does were there and I had a good broadside shot at one but let it walk. Right at last light a much bigger deer came out on the south side and I couldn't make out if it was a buck or doe. Hopefully I'll see it again tomorrow night if it doesn't snow too much here.

There may be a huge monster buck in this area. I missed a shot at it on the last huntable day of the season last year. Someone put up one of those permanent stands on stilts by where it used to come out at so I hope it changed it's routine.

I shot a small doe the night before last on the south side. I want to get 2 does for my nephew who has back problems and can't really hunt. He and his wife would really be able to use any venison I can get them. I'm aging the meat right now and will butcher/package it for them in a few days

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Update. I got the head skinned out and removed the lower jaw. The teeth have enough staining and wear that this buck may well be 3.5 yrs old. Just as I thought. Def a cull buck. I hope he is good eating.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Update. I got the head skinned out and removed the lower jaw. The teeth have enough staining and wear that this buck may well be 3.5 yrs old. Just as I thought. Def a cull buck. I hope he is good eating.
    Hard for me to tell from the pic, you might be right though. He's at least 2 yo. He looks healthy(given his present state:D). He should be great eating.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

What? Backstraps aren’t on the grill yet? :-)

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    What? Backstraps aren’t on the grill yet? :-)

I'm aging them a little lol. But I will cut them in sections and freeze tomorrow. Freezing seems to tenderize some more. Thinking of making jerky with some of the roasts. I got 61 pounds of boned, trimmed meat off him. Which is close to the heart girth chart that puts him at about 114 dressed. I did not try to trim the fore shanks. He may have been a little less like 110 dressed. I am still excited like a little kid 3 days later!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm aging them a little lol. But I will cut them in sections and freeze tomorrow. Freezing seems to tenderize some more. Thinking of making jerky with some of the roasts. I got 61 pounds of boned, trimmed meat off him. Which is close to the heart girth chart that puts him at about 114 dressed. I did not try to trim the fore shanks. He may have been a little less like 110 dressed. I am still excited like a little kid 3 days later!

Nice! Hang on to that feeling. You'll still have it tingling a bit when looking at his head/antlers on the wall later (or at least I still do from my first buck hanging on the wall).

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    Took this guy with 2 mins left in shooting light. He came out with 6 does skylined at 240 yards and was the only one who filed down the hill and closed the distance to about 170 and turned. Ran about 60 yards, but fortunately covered the cornfield in blood which made for an easy track in the dark.

Attachments

• 8B2379A0-EAD4-4898-B5E5-7AC4CF3CA68F.jpg
      8B2379A0-EAD4-4898-B5E5-7AC4CF3CA68F.jpg
      157.1 KB · Views: 229

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Took this guy with 2 mins left in shooting light. He came out with 6 does skylined at 240 yards and was the only one who filed down the hill and closed the distance to about 170 and turned. Ran about 60 yards, but fortunately covered the cornfield in blood which made for an easy track in the dark.
    Nice one! He's still got some neck to him. Not too rutted out by the looks of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom