• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sniiped

Dec 28, 2015
    Anyone know how to get ahold of Dan? The range is getting out of control. I took my son to the range for his first trip today. We showed up and saw a family shooting in front of the firing line. I don’t mean their toes were hanging over the line, they weren’t on the concrete at all. Mag dump after mag dump. I’m no fudd, let the double taps go, but just dumping mags is over the top. The one that bothered me the most was weapons handling while the range is cold. Yeah I spoke up, but if it’s happening while I’m there it’s probably happening all the time. I see the range is becoming more popular and that’s a great thing, but the new shooters aren’t learning all the range rules or if they know them they just don’t give a shit. Either way is a problem. Rant over

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Anyone know how to get ahold of Dan? The range is getting out of control. I took my son to the range for his first trip today. We showed up and saw a family shooting in front of the firing line. I don’t mean their toes were hanging over the line, they weren’t on the concrete at all. Mag dump after mag dump. I’m no fudd, let the double taps go, but just dumping mags is over the top. The one that bothered me the most was weapons handling while the range is cold. Yeah I spoke up, but if it’s happening while I’m there it’s probably happening all the time. I see the range is becoming more popular and that’s a great thing, but the new shooters aren’t learning all the range rules or if they know them they just don’t give a shit. Either way is a problem. Rant over

I might be wrong but I think you would need to call DNR. I know they are the ones checking passes and writing fines.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I'm old and I have access to the that Ass H*le Al Gore's Internet but it took 1.5 sec to find the answer, never had any real training other then OJT.

https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Documents/MyrtleGrovemap.pdf

Dept. of Natural Resources. Wildlife & Heritage Service. Myrtle Grove WMA. 5625 Myrtle Grove Rd. LaPlata, MD 20646. 301-743-5161.

Sorry if I offend anyone some times I have a couple adult Beverages and my Just don't give a shit mode stops working :rolleyes:

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    I avoid the weekends there like the plague... its like the wild west.

Weekdays are usually OK with plenty of "regulars" who try to keep things safe

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    It's a shame they can't institute a volunteer rangemaster program. Especially on those days. Their ignorance is going to result in the loss of that great resource one day, and that would be terrible. There are not that many ranges in Charles County.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Back when I was going to Myrtle Grove we had a number of volunteer Range Safety Managers as well as a few who would volunteer to show how to shoot and point out everything you were doing wrong even after you thank them to Shut the FU*K Up.

I didn't mind people pointing out a Safety concern but there use to be an old guy there that was a bit of a Lech with the young Female shooters.:rolleyes:

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Was that the guy everyone complained about? Used to set up at the first bench with an umbrella and played range master all day long

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    This is sad to hear, I grew up just down the road and used to go with my dad as a kid occasionally (30+ yrs ago now) but I don’t recall ever seeing anything as dumb as I keep hearing about recently.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Yea sounds like him self appointed Lord High Master and caller of the Cease Fire and Range is Hot

ENDuRUN

Jun 13, 2021
    I haven't gone yet this year, but that's disappointing to hear. I've seen a few people handling firearms when the range is cold and addressed that politely, but that's about as bad as I've seen it there. Yikes. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law have both expressed that while they don't want to own a gun, they would love to go shooting. That's always an enjoyable time for me, but I think I'll make sure to take them on a weekday.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Just an FYI. My son found what appeared to be a Remington 700(or like) Mag bolt in the parking lot at Myrtle Grove today. We left it on the picnic table just in case someone returned for it. If it's someone on this forum I hope it's still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom