What Are Your Favorite AR Configuraions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    What are some of your favorites? Either own or would like to.

I like:

1. A4 configuration; 20" flat top with carry handle sights. 1 in 9 twist.
    2. Dissipater Configuration: 16" barrel with sight tower at rifle length, carbine length gas under the handguards. A2 fixed butt stock. Metal drop-in hand guards. 1 in 9 twist.
    3. 14.5" mid-length gas system light weight barrel SBR with collapsible stock, front sight tower, fixed rear iron sights, metal drop-in hand guards. 1 in 8 twist.
    4. Kino configuration; 12.5" barrel SBR with sight tower at mid length but with low pro gas block at carbine length under standard milspec handguards. Fixed rear iron sights. 1 in 8 twist.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I like a 10.5” barrel. A suppressor still brings you to roughly a 16” barrel length. Decent ballistics.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I like a 10.5” barrel. A suppressor still brings you to roughly a 16” barrel length. Decent ballistics.

Agreed, an SBR around 10" is probably the most practical suppressed configuration there is, especially in 300BO. I hate FSBs, optics with low pro blocks under long handguards is the way to go.

20210214_203839.jpg

20201101_164721.jpg

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have two go-to barrels for 5.56 usage:
    1. The old DD 11.5" barrel (larger gas port, which I know some people hate, but I like for the extra reliability with trash ammo)
    2. The Criterion 18" lightweight profile barrel w/ rifle gas

Otherwise, actual configuration is broadly similar: M4E1 Enhanced upper, Aero gen2 handguard of appropriate length, A5 buffer system, adjustable BCG, and a quality steel GB. Muzzle device depends on use case, but generally either a ASR FH or Lantac Dragon ASR.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I’m a simple man. I like a 16.1 inch LWRC (DI or Piston) with an EoTech EXPS 2 (Trijicon VCOG for longer shots), LWRC skirmish BUIS, Surefire Scout Pro Dual Fuel light, Vickers’ sling, and a DD vertical grip. If only I still had one.

Last edited:

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I gave all my weapons to a charity called CHAZ. It was supported by Kamalla Harris. Had to be safe.:innocent0

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    #1 for me - but with 20” barrel and collapsible stock , A2 front sight and flat top.

If not, Mid length carbine will be fine.

No pistol setup.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I think a mid-length gas, 16 inch is one of the best "all around" set ups. "If you can only choose one", so to speak. Terminal ballistics, general handiness, gas system is generally easier on internal components lending itself to longer service life of critical parts (BCG's), etc.

1/8 twist I feel is superior to 1/7, especially if you will be rocking a steady diet of 55/62gr, but will still handle the 77gr stuff with ease. But this is splitting hairs.

Oh and a VLTOR A5 style buffer system on EVERYTHING.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I’m a sucker for an A2 dissipator. 16” barrel, normal basic bitch rifle length handguard and a steel magazine. Just feels right to me.

Duckncover

Jan 14, 2021
    howard county
    My sr15 (16in) has an aimpoint t2 on a scalarworks lower 1/3 mount, bcm stock, grip and kag forward grip, surefire up front at 45 degrees right side, unity hot button, and magpul 2 point sling. Love it.

My bcm has the same exact setup except its 11.5 w an oss 556 can up front. Love it even more

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Boring Old School .

A2 ( 20in Gov't , A2 sights , stock handgaurd, etc ) ( Grandfathered )

With HBAR , 16 inch for balance , GI stock just cause it looks right on a carbine , stock A2 Iron sights .

Only way to improve either would be A1 rear sight , but with the rest still A2 .

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If I win the lottery, I pledge to move out of the state and build one instance of each configuration mentioned here. OR - I could get NFA versions and still stay in Maryland! (Well - you know if I win the lottery).

Say - I need to check that lottery ticket I purchased three weeks ago in Western Maryland :D

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA

Thanks! Sadly, probably going to have to wait as I have a bunch of home improvement projects with priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom