• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ed Anger

Jan 16, 2021
    Gaithersburg, MD
    In addition to the 4th amendment, what I hate about game wardens is the guilty until proven innocent BS. Just because you have 6 shells doesn't mean you're going to use more than 2. Just because you're walking in the woods with a rifle doesn't mean you're going to shoot a deer. Buncha Commies

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Calling it your job don’t make it right to be a jerk although guess they have run ins with some idiots . Just think they could do a lot better figuring out things without acting like the gistopo.

When it comes down to it, same with regular police. Most have to deal with real A-holes or dangerous folks from time to time.

But some manage to be decent people. Some sour over time. And some were just Ds who joined because they like having power over people and are bullies at heart. IMHO most departments do a terrible job weeding out that later before they ever join up and then almost never remove them once they are in.

A small minority, but a few bad apples spoil the bunch. If departments AND unions did a better job policing their own, it would be way less of an issue.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Lazarus I agree completely. Tough job buttttt, I don’t argue with them /police or give them a hard time but I don’t engage in friendly conversation either . I have explained to some about less than pleasant encounters with other DNR they just shake their head . At that point can I go and have a day. LEO tough job I’m not gonna be the jerk . But you said it all.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I personally have had some DNR police rub me the wrong way on a few occasions. I then had a run in with some younger DNR police a few years ago while deer hunting. I was not too fond of them. My son is a DNR cop in another state but he dont mess with people unless you screw up royally. He dont place cameras on your private land either. He dont believe in it himself. He has placed a few on Public land because of poaching or trespass with ATV's and tearing the place up. In Tennessee there is an open court battle going on now about cameras on placed on private property. Its the open Fields Doctrine. I think it will be a win for the property owners and will lead a ban on cameras in all other states one by one. If the lawsuit happens then all other states one by one will follow suit.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lazarus I agree completely. Tough job buttttt, I don’t argue with them /police or give them a hard time but I don’t engage in friendly conversation either . I have explained to some about less than pleasant encounters with other DNR they just shake their head . At that point can I go and have a day. LEO tough job I’m not gonna be the jerk . But you said it all.

Pretty much my attitude. I’ll give a smile and just as much info as they ask for. I won’t be rude. Wish them a nice day and that’s that. If one is particularly friendly I’ll be a bit nicer than that, but neither of us are there to be the other’s friend. The real jerks I skip the smile and the “have a nice day”.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I'm one to be critical, so have to tell about a positive experience as well.

Met some watershed police yesterday, I called them as I found a deer just outside our barbed wire fence. She was on the ground, alert but couldn't move under her own power. Normally I'd just put her down but she was on the liberty watershed so I called DNR to ask for guidance and they put me in-touch with watershed police. About an hour later they called and I brought them onto the farm. When we all got out of our vehicles I was open carrying and neither asked me about it.

Two officers, one younger, one middle age. Nice guys, we talked cwd and the meat eater podcast, how hunting season went, how shed hunting is going, about the watershed itself and people on atvs.

They decided to dispatch the deer, I was happy as she was suffering and the coyotes would end her much more harshly.

Anyway, decent guys. Younger was a hunter, older enjoys hiking the trails and checking them for obstructions. I wouldn't want to find myself afoul of them, but I was happy to meet them.

PlumberEd

MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2020
    Taneytown
    I'm sure most are good people who do a difficult job. My interactions with them was positive, I was respectful and so were they.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'm one to be critical, so have to tell about a positive experience as well.

Met some watershed police yesterday, I called them as I found a deer just outside our barbed wire fence. She was on the ground, alert but couldn't move under her own power. Normally I'd just put her down but she was on the liberty watershed so I called DNR to ask for guidance and they put me in-touch with watershed police. About an hour later they called and I brought them onto the farm. When we all got out of our vehicles I was open carrying and neither asked me about it.

Two officers, one younger, one middle age. Nice guys, we talked cwd and the meat eater podcast, how hunting season went, how shed hunting is going, about the watershed itself and people on atvs.

They decided to dispatch the deer, I was happy as she was suffering and the coyotes would end her much more harshly.

Anyway, decent guys. Younger was a hunter, older enjoys hiking the trails and checking them for obstructions. I wouldn't want to find myself afoul of them, but I was happy to meet them.

Hard to believe the watershed police are so busy they took an hour to call you.

My interaction with DNR has been good although I dislike the guilty until proven innocent method of operation but there’s no fighting that when you’re in the field. I have picked up some good tips on both hunting and fishing on where the action is.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Just ran into 2 DNR.

Was grilling and our property backs to liberty and a power line stretch that people atv illegally. I watch two guys atv to the top of a stretch, park and start glassing our fields. I jump in truck and haul out, ask them what they're doing and these guys, dressed like construction workers, say riding and looking. I'm armed so I stay on my side of the fence and ask where they rode from, they reply our trailer on the road, I was thinking the balls on these dude, so in a last ditch reply I yell I'm calling DNR. They start walking over, assumably to cuss me, when they pull badges and yell "we are DNR". I start laughing and they cooled and we talked a little. They asked why I was hot, and I said you were glassing my fields 2 weeks before turkey season and I assumed Poacher's. Swapped numbers, talked a few minutes and they went on their way.

mauser58

Dec 2, 2020
    My son is a Wildlife Officer or Game Warden in NE Tennessee. I call him every few weeks to see if everything is ok with him, grandkids and wife. He happened to be out on patrol and was checking people fishing . He was checking licenses and one guy seemed nervous. It started to pour down rain so my son walked up through the woods to his truck to check the guys license. Well the guy was a resident of NJ and lied and bought a resident Tennessee fishing license. Then as I am chatting with him as he is on computer he says oh hell this guy also has three warrants for his arrest in Virginia. So now my son is checking with dispatcher to see exactly what the warrants are for. The guy has not come up out of the woods yet to get his license back as he said he was leaving and will be up in a few minutes. These guys have warrants for a reason. They dont want to go to jail and dont plan on it. Hope it went ok as I let him go to do his job. You guys may think this is rare but its not. It happens to him each week. He has to go back and confront the individual and arrest him. The person you are arresting is usually a criminal that has one thing on his mind and that is to do whatever to escape and not be arrested. You have no phone service either in the woods there. They have to walk to truck and rely on radio with dispatch

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    mauser, to clarify, you have spoken to your son and he is ok, correct?

mauser58

Dec 2, 2020
    I am sure he is ok even though I got off of the phone so he could do what he had to. Unfortunately he runs into the same similar scenario quite a bit. I always tell him stay safe and be careful every time. He is usually working when I call him or he calls me.

mauser58

Dec 2, 2020
    My son texted me late last night and was just getting home 1230 after a long day again. He said he had two more arrests because of they had warrants out for their arrest he found while checking their fishing license. It seems these wanted individuals go fishing and do not think they will be seen or caught or licenses checked.

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm glad he's safe. The few game wardens that I know all have similiar stories.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My son texted me late last night and was just getting home 1230 after a long day again. He said he had two more arrests because of they had warrants out for their arrest he found while checking their fishing license. It seems these wanted individuals go fishing and do think they will be seen or caught or licenses checked.

Too bad Maryland DNR can't/won't do anything about people here illegally illegally catching fish.

mauser58

Dec 2, 2020
    Once fishing comes into full swing in a few weeks there will be arrests. So where or how do you figure the DNR in Maryland are not doing anything for illegal fishing? Have you ever signed up for emails and DNR reports. If so you will see weekly people arrested or giving tickets or court dates to appear for illegal fishing activities. What pisses me off is most are groups of people from South America doing mass poaching for Rockfish. They catch many especially at Kent Narrows poaching in boats and from sure at Kent Narrows bridge. They get caught with dozens and dozens of tiny Rockfish and play dumb to the DNR. Like to know why you feel the DNR are not doing anything

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Once fishing comes into full swing in a few weeks there will be arrests. So where or how do you figure the DNR in Maryland are not doing anything for illegal fishing? Have you ever signed up for emails and DNR reports. If so you will see weekly people arrested or giving tickets or court dates to appear for illegal fishing activities. What pisses me off is most are groups of people from South America doing mass poaching for Rockfish. They catch many especially at Kent Narrows poaching in boats and from sure at Kent Narrows bridge. They get caught with dozens and dozens of tiny Rockfish and play dumb to the DNR. Like to know why you feel the DNR are not doing anything

Its just not the South Americans. The Russians are all the time catching rock playing possum like they're carp fishing.
    They're just not smart enough to poach geese yet and stuff them inside a magnum decoy till they clear out of the area for good so they're not as much of a threat at this time.
    Them southerners, may just be a bit more pesky cuz they're hungrier and natural born risk takers.

mauser58

Dec 2, 2020
    If you see the Bastids poaching then call the cops or DNR quick and get any info if you see it happening. I have to abide by the laws and they come to our country and rape our natural resources? Hell I am not letting them. I will confront them myself. That is just me. I read an email I got last week from the DNR and they are using satelite cameras it said where I live and all over the complete bay now. They said that the officers cant be everywhere at once in the patrol boats so they can see any fisherman or craft in the water and start watching it. Could be you they are watching. They are in their house, vehicle, office or wherever on their computer and checking boats and fisherman this year with the new technology. If they see and infraction or poaching or maybe drinking then they will direct an officer in a patrol boat to you. I am sure others have read about it recently. Yes you are being watched it sounds like and may not know it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom