• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Used to live in Port Tobacco and used to go to Fred's occasionally for ammo and odds and ends. Have not been to Fred's in probably 8 years. I went in to look at
    1911 types but I was a bit put off by surly attitude of the sales guy who didn't want to be bothered. Took my business elsewhere.

Hope that is no longer the case.
    Any thoughts?

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    My first experience with Freds was about the same as yours was with the attitude of not wanting to be bothered.
    I started going back there a few years ago and found a whole different attitude. They hade a change of employees that have a much better attitude and are much more helpful.
    Some of the prices are very high while others are actually great. I picked up some .45 acp ammo that was fairly high but, I bought it because I didn't want to go shopping around several other stores looking for a better price. On the other hand I called them recently to see if they had a gun in stock that I wanted to check out. They did not have it in stock but, they said they could order it for me and have it in 3 days they quoted me a price that was much lower than any other shop around that had that gun in stock.
    I know there are a lot of people around that hate that shop but, it's not a bad little shop IMO especially for a local shop.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    I am now in Calvert County on the
    Bay - and, love it.

So, Fred's is a bit if a ride...given partimer's
    input, I may go...or go lots further, to
    JLowes. Never been there, but seems to
    have a good rep for respectful service,
    and honest and fair pricing.

I want to buy my first "little black rifle" (to join my Garands, carbines, and M1A)
    but think I better wait a while for the current "panic" to die down. Would prefer
    to spend locally (Fred's?), but also
    would like to support JLowe if he really
    is as good as I understand him to be.

Simple solution?
    Buy one at each!

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    There are several decent little shops in St.Marys also if you go there often.

I like going to engage in Rockville when possible (2 hour drive for me) not to take anything away from any other IP's. I have been to several of our IP's on the site and have found all of them to be great. I just like to spend money at engage because they have been doing so much to fight against sb281.
    I stop by Freds because when it was in waldorf it was on my way home from work. I just wish there was a decent gun shop in calvert.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Did not know about Rockville, but I am a little hesitant given the general anti-gun
    attitude up there - that, and the doggone speeding and stop cameras at every intersection. Lots wrong with the general direction of Maryland IMHO, but that is
    accentuated in Montgomery County.
    Will have to see what is down there in St Mary's...credit due to JLowe who does not seem to have raised prices to take advantage of the current concerns.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Got my Colt 6721 today at JLowe's.
    It sure was a ride from Calvert to Aberdeen,
    but John was pleasant and very accommodating...also, combat wounded
    Army infantry vet (Iraq)...so, he got
    my business...and, happy I did it.

Will try to stop by Fred's to see how
    things are going there. Fred's is
    much closer and is more a full-service
    store to take care of the odds and ends
    the new acquisition will require.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The new shop seems to be coming along nicely. 2 story structure within the footprint of the old store. The only part they left standing was the range which was a new building adjacent to the main store. It looks like it didn't take much damage from the fire (probably due to its independent ventilation/HVAC and a firewall in between).

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Went through White Plains just now,
    and saw that the temporary location
    was still open and the parking lot very
    busy. Did not have time to stop in,
    doggone it.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I stopped by today. The new store is pretty nice. All of the archery stuff is upstairs and the now have an indoor archery range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom