• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Not looking at a full-time indoor range and wondering what others have done for temporary, casual air rifle plinking that can be stored afterwards. Don't want to go wild with external canisters and plowing down lots of cash, maybe up to $300 for rifle, targets and initial Co2 cartridges and ammo.

Guess one of the reasons for indoor use is that Co2 performance apparently drops below 40° F.
    -How much of this is true for anyone with experience outdoors?

Airsoft, pellets and BBs. I listed those in order of what I think has the least amount of possible collateral damage.
    - Are pellets and BBs in rifles with muzzle velocities from 450-500 fps okay for indoor use?
    - How about full auto? :D
    - Anyone have experience with pellet fragments coming back and having shards/shrapnel around the area where people can step/sit on?

Sound is subjective and wondering if you're not in a basement, is it noticeable outside or the room next door? Single shots and striking a target and of course full auto would be a giveaway.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I have had issues with CO2 and long term storage of guns so I have gone away from it. Too many times I popped a cylinder in, then had to leave for a bit to come back later to a dead cylinder. Or, if the gun isn't left with a cylinder in it under a little pressure I had seals go bad.

So, all that said, I prefer single cock airguns. Can leave them for years with no issue and if I opt to shoot 100rds that day I don't need to go find more CO2.

The nitro pistons are supposed to be less temp sensitive than springers so a little thing to keep in mind.

With a good backstop (box or bucket with papers or rags in it) you're fine indoors with pellets. BB's may bounce back more but I don't use those enough to really comment.

The Beeman P17 pistol for around $40 is a deal and worth looking at for a pistol. Pyramid Air is my go to for these things, they have nice search criteria to let you narrow your options down.

I prefer .177 for plinking, cheaper than .22's normally and I think a bit more accurate.

Unless you're getting into magnum airguns you can shoot them inside nice and quiet.

The full auto stuff is fun but not for me after more than a few bursts.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Pellet backstop is very simple , as long as you don't miss .

A corrugated box with a layer of electrician putty makes a good, quick pellet stop. Can’t find the pic presently, but my daughter used a two target wide box made out of 1x8 lumber with a Masonite front to back the targets while she was shooting precision air rifle here at the house. The putty did a great job absorbing the pellet energy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    What about using a section of rubber mat? Something like a bath mat but maybe 3x thicker? I used to shoot a ton of BB's and pellets in my basement as a kid and I think it was Crossman that had a cardboard box with a rubber mat as a backstop. It worked flawlessly, the projectiles dropped straight down and made for easy cleanup.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    2'x2'x1' box filled with old magazines is what I'm using in my basement for BBs. I have a large Rubbermaid tote on the floor in front to catch any that decide they don't have what it takes to enter or stay in the box. Fine for full auto.

I tried it with a couple pellets, but I didn't like the splatter that I saw. I don't want to fill the area with lead dust and pieces.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I use a Box packed with rags, several magazines, catalogs behind them plus a piece of 3/8” plywood behind box. Fastest thing I shoot is a nitro piston rifle and it does not penetrate far enough to hit plywood. Full auto bb rifle at 5-600 FPS never makes it past rags.

Pellets aren't the issue like bb’s are. Steel balls will definitely bounce back if hitting a hard surface more then lead pellets.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Appreciate the info and wondering about:
    - Anyone have experience with pellet fragments coming back and having shards/shrapnel around the area where people can step/sit on?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Appreciate the info and wondering about:

Yes. See my post above. In my opinion, a cardboard box filled with stuff and a target of sorts stapled to the outside does have a splatter effect. My pellets (~8gr) were in going around 600 fps, and I could actually see it happening. There is probably a better solution that I've just not tried yet.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Yes. See my post above. In my opinion, a cardboard box filled with stuff and a target of sorts stapled to the outside does have a splatter effect. My pellets (~8gr) were in going around 600 fps, and I could actually see it happening. There is probably a better solution that I've just not tried yet.

Missed that and thanks for the additional details.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Google bb bullet trap...

Lots of in-expensive traps (with & with out swinging targets) for sale...

You can be reasonable certain of no bounce backs...

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I have a 2x2x2 cardboard box, I have about 1ft airspace inside box, to catch pellets, dust ect, and a few layers of cardboard at the rear of box. Most pellets enter the cardboard at the rear, those that don't end up in the airspace inside the box.

This is my refreshed box, I just turned it around after 50 Co2 (12gram) cartridges worth of pellets. I can even reuse many pellets. This is with a Gamo PT85 pistol, as close as 10 ft sometimes.

Attachments

• 20210128_071145.jpg
      20210128_071145.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 150

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Picked up one of these years ago, Dimensions = Steel 18"W X 12" H X 10" D.
    Has two knock down targets and a center "RESET TARGET" bullseye.
    Have had NO ricochets as the interior baffle is angled down

Cheap and effective $29.99.

Attachments

• Trap.jpg
      Trap.jpg
      11.7 KB · Views: 141

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I kinda learned from everyone I knew shooting 10M precision indoors, witnessed them one by one going away from CO2 and went single pump, match entry level grade for pistol and 3 position / sporter rifle:

1) Venturi V10 w truly match grade pellets will outshoot the shooters and same def goes for;

2) Daisy 753S one ragged 3/4” hole all day long and you’re still not as good as the Lothar barrel) and

THE BEST backstop material I’ve found is the carpet mats that are close knit carpet on one side and heavy, dense *ss rubber on the back
    . Been using a cardboard shopping box that an art portrait was delivered in but, I can see me getting bored and whipping up something out of 1/8” plywood that will allow me to angle the mats down and back ...

Venturi V10 Match Grade Pistol: https://www.amazon.com/Air-Venturi-Caliber-Competition-Target/dp/B082MP7HMC

Daisy 753S Match Grade Avanti: https://www.amazon.com/Daisy-753S-M...s=Daisy+253s+air+rifle&qid=1611843381&sr=8-12

^^^That is the lowest I think I’ve ever seen the 753s , may have to snag another one at that price, justa cuz ....

Attachments

• 6B04E86E-0387-4123-9285-982D65154BFB.jpg
      6B04E86E-0387-4123-9285-982D65154BFB.jpg
      26.8 KB · Views: 156
    • 2A8E9577-023E-4F67-8FA0-D7477605F022.jpg
      2A8E9577-023E-4F67-8FA0-D7477605F022.jpg
      18.3 KB · Views: 153

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Personal experience. A co2 gun will cause you to adjust your point of aim as cylinder empties.
    Nitro piston, same shot as the last. Each shot has the same point of aim and same FPS as the first.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Some good visuals, thanks. Pellets do some damage and protecting the area back to the shooter seems to be prudent.

ezracer,

Do you have any shrapnel landing out of that box on the floor? Is that all you use or do you have that in another box in case of flyers? I'm assuming you also have a backstop behind that?

Bugthor

Oct 27, 2018
    Aberdeen Area
    I just posted in "Getting Started with Air Guns" thread a description of my basement range set up. I shoot up to 950FPS with no issues. I shoot some of the hypervelocity pellets when no one is home to hear the sound barrier crack for fun. If you have 30ft and a good back stop, you'll have tons of fun. A snow day like today is perfect for plinking in the basement. Lots of great folks here on the forum can assist as well.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    I just posted in "Getting Started with Air Guns" thread a description of my basement range set up. I shoot up to 950FPS with no issues. I shoot some of the hypervelocity pellets when no one is home to hear the sound barrier crack for fun. If you have 30ft and a good back stop, you'll have tons of fun. A snow day like today is perfect for plinking in the basement. Lots of great folks here on the forum can assist as well.

Thanks again and will check out the other thread.

I did come across this with some good information.

https://www.usashooting.org/library..._and_College_Programs/LeadMgtGuideUSASCMP.pdf

TTBJ

Apr 10, 2018
    Howard County
    What about using a section of rubber mat? Something like a bath mat but maybe 3x thicker? I used to shoot a ton of BB's and pellets in my basement as a kid and I think it was Crossman that had a cardboard box with a rubber mat as a backstop. It worked flawlessly, the projectiles dropped straight down and made for easy cleanup.

I useing old carpet pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom