• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I don't have any official announcement, but I've seen 4 different people on different forums point out:

1) No more 40sw or 357 in the caliber pull-down on sig sauer site
    https://www.sigsauer.com/firearms/pistols.html

2) Calls/questions to Sig's tech support line confirming that Sig is not producing any new firearms chambered in 40sw/357sig

I am heavily invested in 357sig and was REALLY hoping a 357sig MPX would come out soon after they released the 40sw version they promised, but now that's not looking good. It was usually a direct conversion for anything chambered in 40sw to switch to 357sig, so the demise of both seems to be the nail in the coffin.

I'm sure other companies could pick up any demand for the 357sig, but you almost have to figure if the company that developed the round drops it, that it'll fade into the obsolete cartridge realm of many before it..

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah i really like the round and have a handful of glocks in 357 sig. i think i have 2 cases of fmj and a case of HP's, prob enough for a lifetime. the g31 is my bedside gun.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    They’ve been dropping them for a while. They haven’t made P320s in those calibers for a while and the conversion kits have been out of stock every time I looked. They’ve committed to only 9mm in all of their newer pistols and the 45/10mm offerings only exist because they still make 1911s.

I guess I’ll need to pick up replacement barrels for my 40s and 357s before they stop making them.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Bummer. It's a nice shooting cartridge. I have a couple of conversion kits for my Glocks and they are great shooting guns. I have range friends with significant investment in .357 SIG firearms.

Maybe other manufacturers will somewhat take up the slack or as others have said - it may become yet another obsolete or rare cartridge for old guys in the future to argue about when feeling grumpy!

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    That's what happens if something doesn't sell. Both those cartridges are fading in popularity.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I wonder if maybe the demand for guns due to the pandemic/riots/Biden made them decide to only do 9MM, 45ACP, and 10MM for the time being so they could produce more at a quicker pace? They already gutted all of their lines by discontinuing a bunch last year and limiting 45/10MM to Legion models so they don’t have to produce high numbers of them.

I have to imagine a lot of people were not buying .40S&W/.357 Sig when the panic buying originally started and only moved to them once they couldn’t find a 9MM in stock. They know they will be able to sell the 9MM faster then the .40/.357 models. Why run multiple lines (or worse switch between calibers on the same production line) to produce 9MM, .40S&W, and .357 Sig when you could limit them to one caliber and produce more at a faster pace.

Hopefully if things start to go back to the way they were somewhat pre-pandemic Sig will bring back .40/.357 models at least in the P series.

I would bet Glock is not producing many, if any, of their .357 Sig models at the moment either.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    If I was starting over, today I would be issued 9mm and I would never have gotten into .40 S&W or .357 SIG. As it is, I have enough to last me the rest of my life because I don't shoot as much as Jerry Miculek.

Most agencies/departments have gone to 9mm and the US military has been in 9mm for decades, and that is where real bulk sales and production will tend to be for the foreseeable future. All of the other handgun calibers will continue to exist, but as much smaller percentages of the total market.

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    It’s a shame to watch the 357 sig moving closer to being obsolete. I love my G31 and it’s always on my side when out doing farm chores. I’m confident to dump a coyote with it out to about 50 yards.

I wish I had got into reloading for it before all this nonsense started and components where readily available. I don’t target practice with it but only having a hundred or so rounds on hand for it causes me anxiety. The ammo was never in the cheap category but I saw a box of 50 for sale the other day and I’m still picking splinters from the bottom of my jaw.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I'm surprised to see 40 getting canceled along with 357. Didn't know 40 was at that level of unpopularity

m1carbine

Mar 10, 2015
    For the last couple of years, the 40 sales have been based around law enforcement and they have been switching over to 9mm following the FBI's lead. Civilian sales of new 40 cal handguns have been suppressed by the number of police trade in guns. Prior to the COVID surge, trade-in 40s were going for $200-$400 for good to nearly new condition Glocks and Sig classic guns.

With the current demand, pausing 40 production to divert the capacity to 9mm makes sense for business reasons.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm surprised to see 40 getting canceled along with 357. Didn't know 40 was at that level of unpopularity
    I think that 40 S&W is kind of a solution in search of a problem. At this point it's pretty much accepted that for a defense cartridge, it's pretty much a wash between 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. People who like larger magazine capacity gravitate toward 9mm, people who want a larger cartridge skip the 40 and go right to 45.

My second polymer framed pistol I made a point to get in 40 S&W, but I find that on my range trips, I almost never take it anymore. I'm not sure why, although it could simply be that I have superior pistols in both 9mm and 45 ACP. (My 40 is a Walther P99)

Also - and this is totally anecdotal with no actual evidence to back it up - I find recoil on the 40 to be mildly unpleasant compared to both 9mm and 45 ACP. It definitely has a hard snappy recoil that I don't experience with my 45s. In any case, it doesn't surprise me that those two cartridges don't get a lot of love.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I think that 40 S&W is kind of a solution in search of a problem. At this point it's pretty much accepted that for a defense cartridge, it's pretty much a wash between 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. People who like larger magazine capacity gravitate toward 9mm, people who want a larger cartridge skip the 40 and go right to 45.

My second polymer framed pistol I made a point to get in 40 S&W, but I find that on my range trips, I almost never take it anymore. I'm not sure why, although it could simply be that I have superior pistols in both 9mm and 45 ACP. (My 40 is a Walther P99)

Also - and this is totally anecdotal with no actual evidence to back it up - I find recoil on the 40 to be mildly unpleasant compared to both 9mm and 45 ACP. It definitely has a hard snappy recoil that I don't experience with my 45s. In any case, it doesn't surprise me that those two cartridges don't get a lot of love.

Also with many LEA going back to 9mm including .gov the driving force behind .40S/W is now a toyota camry.

m1carbine

Mar 10, 2015

I have found that 40's are snappier as well. This is primarily for Glocks, from the 40 being shoved into a 9mm platform with no adjust for the greater impulse. Glock only addressed this with the gen 5 40cal guns by building them on the 45 gap platform instead of the 9mm.

I don't have a problem with the 40cal, but 9mm and 45 auto are softer shooting to me.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    For the last couple of years as a LEO I was issued a .40...I liked the round...hated the pistol...a Smith & Wesson Boat Anchor model. Once bullet technology has improved to the point where a 9mm can be as effective as a .40 and one could carry more round in the same sized pistol that was at least somewhat more controllable it was a slow decline for the .40. Law enforcement agencies have a lot of compromises when choosing a caliber and pistol combination...cost is one plus ease of training for the smallest and least capable recruit. Once the FBI went back to the 9mm it was all downhill for the .40.

Now...the 10mm is something else...its popularity has grown and it's an awesome round though not for everyone. The same goes for the .45...it has never lost popularity but it's not for everyone either.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I have found that 40's are snappier as well. This is primarily for Glocks, from the 40 being shoved into a 9mm platform with no adjust for the greater impulse. Glock only addressed this with the gen 5 40cal guns by building them on the 45 gap platform instead of the 9mm.

I don't have a problem with the 40cal, but 9mm and 45 auto are softer shooting to me.
    I think that the P99 in 40 S&W is probably similar to the original Glock 40 - that, and it's lightweight. I think that contributes to the snap.

For the last couple of years as a LEO I was issued a .40...I liked the round...hated the pistol...a Smith & Wesson Boat Anchor model. Once bullet technology has improved to the point where a 9mm can be as effective as a .40 and one could carry more round in the same sized pistol that was at least somewhat more controllable it was a slow decline for the .40. Law enforcement agencies have a lot of compromises when choosing a caliber and pistol combination...cost is one plus ease of training for the smallest and least capable recruit. Once the FBI went back to the 9mm it was all downhill for the .40.

Now...the 10mm is something else...its popularity has grown and it's an awesome round though not for everyone. The same goes for the .45...it has never lost popularity but it's not for everyone either.
    I find the love affair folks have for the 10mm to be an interesting development, and I'm not sure why there is the belief that 9mm/45ACP is suddenly not enough gun. Then again, there are plenty of folks out there chomping on the bit to get their hands on a 500 S&W Magnum. I'm not one of them. I have a 44 Mag, and that's enough for me. (For that matter I also have a 41 magnum, and that out-performs the 10mm every day of the week in all aspects but capacity.)

Meditator

Dec 9, 2007
    Bethesda MD
    I agreed on P99 in 40 cal being light weight. I HAD two of them : QA and DAO. Never enjoyed shooting them.

My Ruger SR40C on the other hand is much more enjoyable even with factory (dual) recoil spring, which I now upgraded.

Talking about 10mm, since the Glock 20,29, 40 can also feed 40 cal ammo also, this is my cheap practice. The large frame makes it easy to handle what ever recoil the 40 cal has. The affordability of ammo was/ is why I prefer the Glock (10mm) over my SRH which I have now owned for over 10 years and have yet put a single round through. (yes I have almost 150 rds of 44 magnum which I bought over time).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom