• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    There are obviously a lot of threads on the subject but I’m hoping the brain trust might have some good suggestions based on my requirements. I don’t have a lot I need to lock away at this point though I expect my small collection to grow - currently would just need to keep three long guns plus stashing a handgun when I’m gonna be away for a bit. But given that I’m in one of the least gun friendly places in this state, I’d kinda like to keep ALL of the scary gun stuff stashed, which currently would include about 4k rds of ammo, some AR parts, “high capacity” mags, etc plus cash and important documents. I have a spot next to a closet in my basement storage room that I can frame out and put a removable panel on so that this thing is hidden, and if a guest or contractor is in the house they would have no idea I have either guns or a safe.

I don’t want to break the bank but I can afford an investment, and wouldn’t mind an optional biometric lock in case I need to quickly access the scary black gun. The biometric rifle safes I’ve seen online recently mostly look like light cheap crap.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    Let me sum up the ensuing replies to your thread.

"Buy the biggest most expensive safe you can get."

"You NEED a 195 gun safe"

"If it doesn't cost at least $3275 it's not even worth buying."

FWIW, I have a 21 or 24 (twenty something) Liberty Centurion aka Liberty ProVault with electronic keypad lock and it's been awesome.

PS, the centurion is rebranded under many other names/manufacturers, as are some of the other liberty safes as well. Always find out who actually makes whatever safe you're thinking about.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable

FWIW, I have a 21 or 24 (twenty something) Liberty Centurion aka Liberty ProVault with electronic keypad lock and it's been awesome.

PS, the centurion is rebranded under many other names/manufacturers, as are some of the other liberty safes as well. Always find out who actually makes whatever safe you're thinking about.

That is what I’ve been expecting- That spot in my storage room could probably accommodate something big. I certainly expect the “family” to grow but it would take me nearly a decade to hit 20 at my current rate. Of course if have too little space now I might regret it in 5 years, especially if I’m hiding ammo and other stuff.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      5.5 KB · Views: 243

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Or something like this that does not scream "GUNS ARE IN HERE!!!!!"

Look at office surplus or Government surplus for the best heavy duty version, they can be had for a couple hundred $. Shelves can be removed, doors lock, key or padlock.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...08a1b815707f19c68884d80cdd083a6f&gclsrc=3p.ds

That would be a lot cheaper- I’m thinking worst case scenario like Karen across the way invokes a red flag law and the authorities use the new county law that means immediate confiscation. “Sorry boys, nothing here, I keep all my stuff at the family farm out of state.”

Edit: not referring to any existing law but sure feels like something is coming down the pike soon.

Last edited:

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I've been really happy with my Liberty Lincoln 50. Big enough for now - and pretty heavy. I wish the steel was a bit thicker on the sides, but meh - safes just buy time.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

This is exactly what this thread, like just about every safe thread before it, is going to come down to.

I'll reiterate a couple of things though:

1.) Safes last a long time
    2.) Gun collections grow - sometimes fast, sometimes slow, but it's rare for a gun collection to get smaller. They invariably get bigger.
    3.) "Buy once, cry once" definitely applies to gun safes

I'll also give you some of my personal experience.

Back in 2008 I did extensive research online, along with looking at some safes at a gun show to find what I believed was going to be the best safe for me. I ended up buying a Heritage Tradition Series safe from the Safe Depot in Timonium. Exterior dimensions on mine are 30x30x72, it has a 5/8ths plate steel door, 1" locking bolts all around, and hardened steel drill plate, 1750 degrees for 90 minutes, and an electronic keypad.

It's a decent sized safe - I like the fact that it's 6' tall.

At this point it's pretty damned full. It wasn't nearly that full in 2008 and I thought I had a lot of room to grow.

Looking back, I wouldn't have gone any less expensive - At the time I think that Heritage was about the best bang for the buck going, rated #2 behind Fort Knox. I would have loved to have gotten a Fort Knox safe, but they were just enough out of my budget that I went with Heritage instead. Right below that (IMO at the time) were Liberty Safes, and I was seriously considering the Liberty Lincoln model.

So with that out of the way, refer back to what I quoted from Xshot.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Do your research and you'll be happy you did. Short answer..........Liberty. Lincoln or above. Combine with a reputable alarm company and/or offsite secure storage facility (NOT RENTAL STORAGE FOR PETE'S SAKE!!!!!) and you are golden.

I've been using them for years and they are the best non-commercial money can buy. There is a HUGE back log currently though. Bought 2 Lincoln 50's this past August and was told that they would not be shipped until March. Last month, that got moved back until June. EVERYONE is buying because they know what's coming.

With safes as with most things, buy cheap, get cheap. Why would I (or you) go cheap to protect potentially $100,000s worth of firearms?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have a Liberty Lincoln as well and really like it. I bought the biggest one I had space for, wish it was bigger. They do indeed fill up.
    I would keep your ammo elsewhere like a locked cabinet if you need to. I have some full mags in the safe but don’t keep my ammo in it, that’s what ammo cans are for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I’m going with the 8 foot wide 50-gun model made out of Damascus steel with retinal scan locks, and a Boston Dynamics robot arm that inserts a magazine and pulls the charging handle and tosses you a gun upon opening. Just need Doge coin to reach $1 first.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I have a Liberty Lincoln as well and really like it. I bought the biggest one I had space for, wish it was bigger. They do indeed fill up.
    I would keep your ammo elsewhere like a locked cabinet if you need to. I have some full mags in the safe but don’t keep my ammo in it, that’s what ammo cans are for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a good point, I can keep that stuff hidden elsewhere if necessary.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would not store ammo in the safe.

Look at the take down ones if you move often. Also, much less low key than a team of guys moving a huge safe into your place which you seem a little concerned about.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I have a 10 gun cabinet (Stack-On) that I am covering with wood for shits and giggles as a gift for a friend, I'll post pics when its done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom