• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I am very interested in a Remington Model 11 Shotgun.

It has a two digit date code stamped -"MM" - which translates to 1943.

If that is the case, it is missing the month - is that normal?

I have found some reporting that during WWII they abbreviated the date codes but I haven't found anything definitive to back that up.

The serial number is 495331, which also falls into 1943 if my research is accurate.

Any help or explanation why the month is missing from the date code would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.10.51 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.10.51 AM.jpg
      50.7 KB · Views: 326
    • Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.14.08 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.14.08 AM.jpg
      41.7 KB · Views: 334
    • Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.16.02 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.16.02 AM.jpg
      52.4 KB · Views: 327

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I am also watching that sportsman on GB and was scratching my head about that last night. I plan to call the seller today to see if the barrel serial number matches the receiver. That will put my mind at ease and I would feel better bidding on it. There are a lot of trench and riot guns out there that have been put together to try to get a premium because of the military stampings.

This one looks to be correct other than the strange barrel date code. Pretty nice looking Sportsman.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I am also watching that sportsman on GB and was scratching my head about that last night. I plan to call the seller today to see if the barrel serial number matches the receiver. That will put my mind at ease and I would feel better bidding on it. There are a lot of trench and riot guns out there that have been put together to try to get a premium because of the military stampings.

This one looks to be correct other than the strange barrel date code. Pretty nice looking Sportsman.

I found an article on the Remington Society forum that briefly mentioned there were exceptions to the Month/Year date code stamps but it didn't go into any detail.

I emailed the seller 4 days ago asking for the better pic of the date code. Last night he updated his GB listing and added to closeup picture.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 5.05.57 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 5.05.57 AM.jpg
      74.1 KB · Views: 260

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    There’s a Remington Model 11 16 Gauge in the family dating to 1941. Someone at PG County Trap & Skeet saw it from a distance and complimented it. Are these guns sought after?

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    My father gave me My first Shotgun a Rem M 11 in 16 Ga. I believe the Year was 1960 He had bought it from an Old Soldier at Old Soldiers Home in D.C. for $30 USD. It was only Slightly used and had the Rem Curse...Heel chipped Stock. but some whittling, Sandpaper, and few coats of hand Rubbed took care of that. It's still out there in the Safe, along with Dad's 1897 Winchester Pump 12 Ga. Take Down Model. Tose took a lot of Game in those days. Lost Dad in Dec 1966, I was in Viet Nam on the other side of this Rock we call Earth! Now I have been Fighting Prostate Cancer and feeling the 73 years on my bones. Looking forward to Rabbit Hunting with Dad and Our Best Beagle "Judy Socks" if God Forgives Me for the Sins of this Life!

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    Those date codes were hand stamped. My gut feeling is even if you are a conscientious worker, when you have a hundred barrels to stamp before the end of your shift, a few get missed. Occam's razor. It probably isn't a conspiracy or issue of national security.
    Or what if the date code is WW = August of 1928? Then the barrel isn't original to the receiver.

Last edited:

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Those date codes were hand stamped. My gut feeling is even if you are a conscientious worker, when you have a hundred barrels to stamp before the end of your shift, a few get missed. Occam's razor. It probably isn't a conspiracy or issue of national security.

I agree 100% but I'm trying to stick to the "buy the gun, not the story" axiom as well. Seeing that Brickman's is marked the same way makes me feel a little better bidding on it. Still waiting on some more info from the seller before I go all in.

Based on the best of my research using the "MM" date code and the serial number, I believe it was manufactured in July 1943 which definitely puts it in the cool category in my book. I have a '43 1903A3 and M1 Garand. This '43 would go nicely with those.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.16.02 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.16.02 AM.jpg
      53.5 KB · Views: 173

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Or what if the date code is WW = August of 1928? Then the barrel isn't original to the receiver.

This is my thought. Waiting for a call back to see if the barrel serial number matches the receiver. On all model 11 and sportsman shotguns produced under military contract there will be a barrel serial number stamped into the flat spot under the barrel lug. It will match the receiver serial number or it is not original to the shotgun and worth a whole lot less money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom