• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    As anyone who has a Sub2000 knows... KelTec's Sub2000 trigger leaves a bit to be desired. It stutters a bit on pull... and the pull is a heavy one, 7.5 to 10 pounds stock... Also, the stock trigger is a plastic one that tends to be a bit of a bite in the trigger finger to make things even more challenging. It is injection molded plastic and has a cheap sharp feel to it that requires some sandpaper to take the sharp edges off.

Take heart... There is a fix for both issues.

This set of springs have been developed by MCARBO and reduce the pull to a respectable 5.25 pounds. That is 2.25 to 4.75 pounds less pull. And it is definitely an improvement.

http://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

My Gen1 Sub2000 had a heavy pull which caused the plastic trigger to flex under pressure as it was pulled. The edges were sharp and uncomfortable.

The new MCARBO Sub2000 trigger is a must have for the completion of the upgrade. It is made of billet aluminum and anodized black to match the rifle. Unlike the stock plastic trigger... it is a smooth pulling, non flexing, crisp breaking trigger that is not hard on the trigger finger.

http://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec-sub-2000-target-trigger.aspx

MCARBO is a Veteran owned and operated business which began manufacturing precision firearm parts in 2012. Their products carry a lifetime guarantee and I can say, from my own experience, that they are a company which values customer service and opinion.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Sub2ks are a blast to shoot but the triggers could definitely use some improvement! Looks like they even post their install videos so you can see what is involved before ordering.

Thanks for the heads up!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    There is a sub culture for these KelTec firearms. I have a P11 that I've done a great deal of work on. I would carry this pistol to protect my life. The trigger is a lot smoother and it functions flawlessly.

A bit of cheap help with these firearms. I believe they sell a trigger shoe for most of their firearms. Until you can get into the firearm to do some real gunsmithing, that shoe will make take 3-5 of pull off of their stock trigger.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Visited the site and watched the videos. Appears they have a good product. Likely will try this upgrade. The trigger pull is very annoying on my Gen 1 Sub 2K. However has been ultimately reliable. If things continue to go the wrong way, I will not hesitate to use it as my GBH gun. Thanks RD for the heads up!

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    RD, have you shot it yet with the upgrades?

I have a Gen2, on which the trigger pull doesn't seem all that bad, but could be a little smoother/less gritty. I did do the sandpaper smoothing on the trigger edges though, which made huge difference in comfort level. But since this Gen2 is the with me at all times "thing", I am not all warm and fuzzy knowing I am ultimately depending on a plastic trigger.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    RD, have you shot it yet with the upgrades?

I have a Gen2, on which the trigger pull doesn't seem all that bad, but could be a little smoother/less gritty. I did do the sandpaper smoothing on the trigger edges though, which made huge difference in comfort level. But since this Gen2 is the with me at all times "thing", I am not all warm and fuzzy knowing I am ultimately depending on a plastic trigger.

I just completed the upgrade before posting... I did a function check with the stock trigger and springs prior to the upgrade. I wanted a reference point to work with.

After the upgrade, I checked function again... And it is noticeably better. The springs are a good upgrade. The springs and trigger are a great upgrade. A much lighter, smoother and solid trigger pull.

One word of caution... That little sear spring is a "jumping spider" until you get it all back together. It likes to pop off of the pin when you least expect it to do so.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    So it's not a sausage finger friendly mod? I'm out. LMAO.:lol2:

No... It is a simple mod and your gorrila fingers can do it... :lol2:

But, once the spring is in place... You need to make sure you cover it well as you reassemble the rifle. Or, you will be searching for it on the floor of your shop. :D

The upgrade is worth the effort. :thumbsup:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Maybe so.....if you knew where to source them and what tension they needed to be, etc...which explains why they're $30. ;)

Unless you mean a dozen of the ones that I'll be shooting all over the living room, lol.

Yes, just the tiny springs that'll be shooting all over the living room.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    https://youtu.be/hvbUnf63iFg
    Curious what you guys think of this action cover? Seems like a pretty solid idea. The cover dangling from the trigger guard isnt ideal.

Attachments

• 20211118_221637.jpg
      20211118_221637.jpg
      44.8 KB · Views: 179

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    [Kev308];6480903 said:
    https://youtu.be/hvbUnf63iFg
    Curious what you guys think of this action cover? Seems like a pretty solid idea. The cover dangling from the trigger guard isnt ideal.

I’ve never really understood what all the hoopla is with the Sub2k. I mean it looks cool and everything, but loading a single 9mm round like a break action shotgun just takes waaaaayyy to long for me.

I should have sold mine when prices were high.

/s

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    I’ve never really understood what all the hoopla is with the Sub2k. I mean it looks cool and everything, but loading a single 9mm round like a break action shotgun just takes waaaaayyy to long for me.

You should have bought the upgrade called the magazine. ;)

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

/s

The trick is to dremel the latch off so you can just flip the barrel up and back down with your hand remaining on the grip.

You end up looking like a uncoordinated caricature of Chuck Connors, but its totally effective.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Just placed an order for one of the "absolutely necessary plates." 14.99 plus shipping. Most times I carry the sub2k in a designated bag, but figure I might as well have one in case it has to been thrown into a messy spot.

/s

Huh? I have 30 round mags for mine. I dont care for mine too much either though, only keep it as a truck gun. It's extremely awkward for me to get a proper sight picture with it for some reason. Red dot would fix that but it won't fit under the seat with a red dot even with the flip mount.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Huh? I have 30 round mags for mine. I dont care for mine too much either though, only keep it as a truck gun. It's extremely awkward for me to get a proper sight picture with it for some reason. Red dot would fix that but it won't fit under the seat with a red dot even with the flip mount.

I was just goofing around when I posted that. I have 33 round mags for mine too. I can ding steel at 100yds using the stock sights but I did get the flip RDS mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom