• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiev9

Aug 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Is anyone here a member of Gilbert Indoor Range in Rockville? What's it like? Does it get overcrowded in the evenings and weekends?

I've done much research over the web for a place to shoot my pistol in the evenings, but can't seem to find a better deal than this place. I have no problem paying them $300/yr for membership considering how many times I'll visit in a year, but the fact I'd have to purchase bullets (and targets) only from them bothers me a bit.

Does anyone know of any indoor pistol ranges near Gaithersburg where you can bring your own ammo? I know there's one in Fairfax, VA at NRA HQ, but the money saved in ammo would probably balance out with the gas I'd use up driving there.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Is anyone here a member of Gilbert Indoor Range in Rockville? What's it like? Does it get overcrowded in the evenings and weekends?

I've done much research over the web for a place to shoot my pistol in the evenings, but can't seem to find a better deal than this place. I have no problem paying them $300/yr for membership considering how many times I'll visit in a year, but the fact I'd have to purchase bullets (and targets) only from them bothers me a bit.

Does anyone know of any indoor pistol ranges near Gaithersburg where you can bring your own ammo? I know there's one in Fairfax, VA at NRA HQ, but the money saved in ammo would probably balance out with the gas I'd use up driving there.

ontargetdot.com

A bit farther, but I think that you'll enjoy it more than Gilbert's

sbarber7973

Certified Fat Bastard
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2007
    Hyattsville, MD
    Gilbert's is too expensive for just a pistol range, I Have never been to On Target but I have heard that they are reasonable, and have a excellent range.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Select Fire is a nice range but I personally find the staff to be always a bit rude. I went there recently and finished my range session in about 25 mins. I stood at the counter waiting for the clerk to finish with another customer and when he was ready for me he requested the range transmitter. ( this is a remote looking thing attached to a piece of plexiglass) I realized I left it in the range so I put on my ear muffs and went back to retrieve it. When I gave it to him he said that will be 18 dollars.I said 18 bucks for a 1/2 hour ??
    he exclaimed you went over the 1/2 hour so you get charged for an hour.

I said you were with another customer and I had to get the transmitter..

His response was the system is computer automated so I can't do anything about it.

I would not shoot at Select-Fire if they charged a dollar an hour.

This is not the 1st bad experience that I have had there ..They always seem to have the Chip on the shoulder attitude and they obviously don't need repeat customers by the way they treat the ones that visit.

Wow ...that feels better.. I say drive to On-Target ...clean..good lighting and they always seem friendly..

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    One thing I like about MD Small Arms in the Forrestville area is, unless they changed it in the past few months, they do not charge by the half hour and they let you use your own ammo.
    IIRC correctly, even though it is more to rent a lane and only use it for a half hour than at On Target, I have spent a few hours at a time there and walked out spending less than I would have for an hour at On Target.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Select Fire is a nice range but I personally find the staff to be always a bit rude.

1st place award for understatement of the year. Those a-holes will never get a pennny of my money, even if they are they last operating firearms related business in the entire state of MD.

I want them to go out of business.....badly.....so that a bunch of us can buy the place and run it the way it should be.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    I'm also looking for a place to shoot and Cresap looks great except for the no shooting a rifle while standing rule. I'm curious as to the reasoning behind that.

It's just how there setup is, their rifle lanes are benches, there is no space between them so you can't really approach the line standing. There muzzle loader lanes are standing however.

As to gilbert, I was a member for a year when I was first learning to shoot, I didn't ever wait more than 5 minutes for a lane, and that was only on the weekends and still very rare. Shooting there was godawful expensive, you have to use their ammo and its marked up significantly. All in all it was a nice enough range for me to learn on, but I'm not going back anytime soon.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    I'm a current member of Gilbert's. Like others have said, it's a nice place but you pay a lot. It comes down to weighing the considerable costs against considerable convenience.

The perks are only driving 10 or 20 minutes, being able to shoot comfortably even in 100 degree heat, 10 degree cold, and rain, not having to wait for ceasefires to hang up targets, and discounts on classes and some guns and accessories.

The downsides are the price and restrictions on ammo used (slugs only for shotguns, limited rifles you can use, buying what they sell, etc.). I do a lot of .22 shooting so the ammo prices don't hurt me that badly most of the time, but it can sting a bit when I see the bill from a day with the 1911.

Their busy times are in the afternoons on Saturdays. Evenings have always been more quiet, especially during weeknights.

We don't really get much choice in MoCo outside of choosing to pay more at the counter or at the pump and in time but the IWLA option intrigues me quite a bit. Care to give some more details about the Rockville chapter IDriveB5 (both shooting and non-shooting stuff)?

eddiev9

Aug 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I guess I'll have to go with Gilbert. It's close by home and work so I figure the convenience involved would make up for the price. I'd mostly stop by after work on weekday evenings, so it shouldn't be so crowded...I hope. I'll give it a shot for a year. Thanks, everyone.

Hope to run into you there, Simon.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Gilbert's is convenient, and the staff if somewhat friendly (with some rare exceptions). I stopped going because the "lead free" ammo they now use (Fiochi) is way dirtier re:lead residue on hands than the old stuff (Magtech clean range). If it's on the hands, it must be blasted in the air with each shot. Since I also can't bring my own 5.56 lead-free ammo, that sealed the deal and I let my membership lapse. (I am the resident health nut).

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Drive from G-Burg on 198 to ft meade, jump on the BW go 2 exits north and get on 175. From G-burg 45 minutes at best non-rush hour (getting out of G-burg was always the bitch when I was driving from there). I think its worth it to hit OnTarget. On my second year membership - people are friendly, bought my kimber and sig there. At 1130 Saturday there were only 4 people shooting at the 16 lanes. You bring own ammo if you want and can shoot handgun caliber rifles if you want. And the membership is cheaper. Take the drive.

BlindViper

Mar 15, 2007
    felton, pennsylvania
    One thing I like about MD Small Arms in the Forrestville area is, unless they changed it in the past few months, they do not charge by the half hour and they let you use your own ammo.
    IIRC correctly, even though it is more to rent a lane and only use it for a half hour than at On Target, I have spent a few hours at a time there and walked out spending less than I would have for an hour at On Target.

Last time I went its was like 15$ for a lane for as long as you want it. Targets are cheap ammo is pricey. If you rent a gun you must buy the ammo from them. They stock sigs, glocks, s&w, taurus and springfield. They have some hi-point carbines not sure it they are for rent or forsale. Also have a consignment section good deals from time to time. Only issue I have there is the side sight mounted gun shooters that miss the target at 5 yds.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Last time I went its was like 15$ for a lane for as long as you want it. Targets are cheap ammo is pricey. If you rent a gun you must buy the ammo from them. They stock sigs, glocks, s&w, taurus and springfield. They have some hi-point carbines not sure it they are for rent or forsale. Also have a consignment section good deals from time to time. Only issue I have there is the side sight mounted gun shooters that miss the target at 5 yds.
    I know what you mean, one time this jackass in the lane next to me actually turned to me with the muzzle of a malfunctioning Raven .22 pointed at my belly asking me if I could help him get his gun to work because the round in the chamber would not go off when he pulled the trigger :mad54:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Whats the ammo prices like at gilberts? Just moved to MoCo =(

Ammo is priced on a sliding scale commensurate to membership type. If you sign up for a year, the ammo isn't too bad price, but no bargain.

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    Whats the ammo prices like at gilberts? Just moved to MoCo =(

Ammo is priced on a sliding scale commensurate to membership type. If you sign up for a year, the ammo isn't too bad price, but no bargain.

Like he said, no bargain there. I don't care for the place much. There are other choices in our area. Look at the map in this thread.

MDShooters Firearms Map
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=135949

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=39.16586934793297,-76.94632510546876&z=10

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom