• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reed99

Nov 13, 2021
    Anyone know anything about this? Got an email today about it, seems like it would be a good thing for teaching and practice.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have one. It is quite good for practicing trigger control and grip. My main gripe about it is that it doesn't really understand the idea of an acceptable sight picture; it wants perfection, and that is not always a useful thing in practical shooting. (That is to say, it will punish you for a faster but worse trigger press, even if you would have hit your nominal target - there is no way to specify that you're shooting an A-zone at 7 yards or whatever)

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I really need to get the Mantis hooked up to my Sig and practice using it. I bought it a few months ago when ammo prices were insane but have never used it.

But I do have the app downloaded on my phone if that counts for something!

Cal68

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I bought one a couple years back and used it a few times. It does what it says, excellent feedback on what’s going on. I love the replay function for each shot where you can see playback of hold, fire and recoil. Very cool.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have one. It is quite good for practicing trigger control and grip. My main gripe about it is that it doesn't really understand the idea of an acceptable sight picture; it wants perfection, and that is not always a useful thing in practical shooting. (That is to say, it will punish you for a faster but worse trigger press, even if you would have hit your nominal target - there is no way to specify that you're shooting an A-zone at 7 yards or whatever)

I bought one a couple years back and used it a few times. It does what it says, excellent feedback on what’s going on. I love the replay function for each shot where you can see playback of hold, fire and recoil. Very cool.

So, it sounds like it is worthwhile for improving your shooting in the long run?

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I think it is pretty awesome. My two favorite uses are the draw analysis (only on the X10), and using it to evaluate hardware changes like a new trigger.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    So, it sounds like it is worthwhile for improving your shooting in the long run?

I think so. I was impressed. It will definitely nitpick with you. I was looking at one session and saw that my grip was such that, on recoil, the muzzle was forcing down quickly after the shot, like I was over compensating, making it hard to rapidly recover the sight picture. The next session, I eased up a bit and then I was letting it go high. It picks up a lot of stuff and I can see where it might get frustrating trying to “make it happy”. On the other hand, it gives you lots of goals in practice. Neat gizmo though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zCXQMm_A08

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Wish I could chime in on the utility of this training aid but...I just bought a couple of these: one for my wife and one for my son-- for Christmas. I also purchased the AR accessory add on pack for my son. I've never used one-- only watched the videos. My wife is looking forward to breaking it out and working with it. Anything that motivates her to continue to take interest in shooting is a win for me. I have a feeling my son will figure out every little trick you can do with this tool and maximize its capabilities. Hope to give a report in a few weeks.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I just got my MAX-9 last week. It doesn’t have a rail to mount the MantisX. So I designed and printed a magazine floor plate adapter to allow me to mount it on the pistol and still practice. Also allows me to practice drawing from concealment.

8d87e063ac28e2d0ee4c01410388e979.jpg

171cf5092a79106e35ca6290a99de857.jpg

730a9e1c91d6765d4634b384d934229e.jpg

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I used to have one. I had a flinch that kept showing up every once and a while. I did lots of dryfire with the mantis keeping me in check. I quit using it after that. It's very good feedback if you don't know why you're not shooting well and don't have access to instruction and correction that comes with it. It's a good value in training tools.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I just got my MAX-9 last week. It doesn’t have a rail to mount the MantisX. So I designed and printed a magazine floor plate adapter to allow me to mount it on the pistol and still practice. Also allows me to practice drawing from concealment.

8d87e063ac28e2d0ee4c01410388e979.jpg

171cf5092a79106e35ca6290a99de857.jpg

730a9e1c91d6765d4634b384d934229e.jpg
    Brilliant!!!

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    @AAToolAA
    Floor plate adapter sounds great. None of my CC holsters accommodate anything attached to a rail. And velcro... I'm not convinced.
    Have you considered printing a universal expanding insert for the handgrip area behind the mag, with a rail section?

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Where do you find the files for the floor plate, or did you just design it from scratch?? I need to get learned on that process. I got the Microcenter deal and the printer hasn't stopped running since. I did the starter pig, dog, cat, (ran out of starter filament during the cat), then did the digital sundial, very cool and am now printing the M1 Garand. That one cost a few buck for the files, and I also bought the M9 while I was at it.

More on topic, I believe I posted a review of the Mantis X10 on here somewhere when I got it.

ethiojazz

Mar 2, 2021
    Been using Mantis for training

Almost all of my dry fire training with my pistols have been with Mantis... Definitely helps on trigger control and minimizing on target movement..

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    @AAToolAA
    Floor plate adapter sounds great. None of my CC holsters accommodate anything attached to a rail. And velcro... I'm not convinced.
    Have you considered printing a universal expanding insert for the handgrip area behind the mag, with a rail section?

So far I've been making unique floor plates for each gun/mag type. I've done them for my Glock G26 which has a Laser/Light combo already on the frame rail. Also done one for my Shadow2, because it was cheaper than buying a new holster to accommodate the Mantis X on the forward rail.

I'm not exactly sure how your suggestion would work, but the idea of making some sort of universal adapter that attaches to the bottom of standard magazine floor plates is actually not a bad one. Almost ALL of the magazines I own, have about a 3/16" hole in the bottom that locks the plate in place using the spring retainer. I'm thinking that maybe designing a new PicRail adapter with a #10 Screw sticking out of the back which could easily be then inserted into just about any magazine floor plate could work. The user would probably need to remove the spring retainer. While not practical for live fire practice, it would certainly work for just about every dry fire exercise I could think of. I may create a model and test it out. If it works, I'll print one for you if you want it.

Where do you find the files for the floor plate, or did you just design it from scratch?? I need to get learned on that process. .

I had seen someone selling them on Amazon/Ebay for Glock mags a while back. They were cheap like $15. However the design didn't exist for the Shadow2 which was the first gun I printed for. It was pretty easy for me to remove the CZ Floor Plate and just measure the dimensions. I made a simple 3D model in Fusion360 then created the PicRail detail on the bottom.

Now that you have a 3D printer, the next thing to concentrate on is creating your own 3D models of your own designs. Once you get the hang of it, you'll really get some use out of it. The design I posted last night is good, but I noticed that there are some sharp corners that I don't like as I grip the gun. So, I just designed a new one that is a bit of a better fit for my hand. That took me about 20min and I'm printing now as I type this post.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Updated mag floor plate design feels much better in my hand. Dimensions are close to the 12 round magazine with the extension.

ddbf33c2bab88e6933228bddffefaf83.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom