• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UPSguy

WWII enthusiast
    Dec 31, 2020
    Carroll co
    Hey so i’ve been getting conflicting info online… i understand there is an inspection date on REAl military MRE’s. But that doesn’t always tell you when they are made? How long is it safe for consuming after said dates? Thanks!

Oh, and if anybody has a good source on where to get a good deal on the real military ones that would be awesome too! Thanks!

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hey so i’ve been getting conflicting info online… i understand there is an inspection date on REAl military MRE’s. But that doesn’t always tell you when they are made? How long is it safe for consuming after said dates? Thanks!

Oh, and if anybody has a good source on where to get a good deal on the real military ones that would be awesome too! Thanks!

Keep them in a cool dry place and they can last many years after the inspection date. The inspection date is 3 years past the production date.
    I used to get good deals on them on Ebay by the case and then I would turn around and see the accessory packs, spoons and water heaters separately and get most of my money back...

UPSguy

WWII enthusiast
    Dec 31, 2020
    Carroll co
    Keep them in a cool dry place and they can last many years after the inspection date. The inspection date is 3 years past the production date.
    I used to get good deals on them on Ebay by the case and then I would turn around and see the accessory packs, spoons and water heaters separately and get most of my money back...

Awesome, thanks for the info! Yeah have seen some. Looks like a case at a time is best way to go. I’ve got some already but didn’t know how long they would lst. Good idea with parting them out! Thanks!

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    So, check my understanding:

I have some MREs dated 2017 manufacture.
    They have been stored in household reasonably (60s-70s) temperatures.
    So, they should be good through 2022.

Beyond that, how do I tell if they are still good or not?
    Open them one at a time, and give them a sniff test?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There are YouTube videos of people opening MREs, rations, bully beef, etc. from WWII and even WWI.

That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    In the late 90s I used to get the dark brown packaged MREs from the late 80s and early 90s. Only thing I ever found bad was a dried up bottle of Tabasco. I’ve had the newer tan packaged MREs several years after the inspection date and they’ve been good. Packaging style will tell you the decade it was made. Various MRE components will have a 4 digit date code on them to narrow it down further. 4030 for example would be the 30th day of 2014.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    This is not an endorsement of this activity, but…. :D

My mom had some mid 80’s vintage MRE’s that I liberated from the army in the late 80’s / early 90’s. When we cleaned out her house and moved her to the retirement community, my son opened a couple and ate them. :sad20: Him and his college buddies finished them off over several weeks. None of them died. ;)

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    So, check my understanding:

I have some MREs dated 2017 manufacture.
    They have been stored in household reasonably (60s-70s) temperatures.
    So, they should be good through 2022.

Beyond that, how do I tell if they are still good or not?
    Open them one at a time, and give them a sniff test?

If the pouch is bloated then throw it away. If it looks normal, prob affect the taste of whatever it is but thats really not great tasting product to begin with so you have that.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    There is a procedure to extend the shelf life date on them. The Vet Techs in the Army are responsible for inspecting them. May be able to find the policy/manual out there if you look.

Really though, they last a long time if stored right.

If you ever come across one and the bag is puffed up like a balloon do NOT open it unless you literally are starving to death as something (obviously) went bad in the bag. Maybe the rest is alright but again, unless you're dying, I would not open that one.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    When the MREs first were issued back in the 80s, we were told that the lasted 12 years in controlled warehouse storage.

But hot or freezing conex containers would cut their shelf life in half. Also the shelf live really referred to taste not food safety

The content packets are hermetically sealed with enough preservatives to turn them into the military's answer to the Twinkie and First Can of Spam.:D

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    As for C-Rats if you have any Pound Cake, I show you how to make "Ranger Fudge"

I may have a can of Beans and Mutherf*ckers and Beanie Weenies somewhere in the garage to trade you.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    When I was a Cub Scout in the 70’s, we ate WW2 c-rations. The pork and beans were fine.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    What I've been doing over the last 10 years or so is testing one entree by age using the included heater. Some entrees have lost their appeal, others are fine. Have been accumulating MREs since 1981, have never seen an entree package bulging. I believe the vacuum packing wouldn't leave any room for bulging.

Peanut butter can be hit or miss but crackers, fruit, hot sauce and candy have never gone bad, yet.

Of course all the other contents such as the accessory pack, heater will last for decades

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    There are youtube channels full of people testing WW1 and WW2 rations. I'd assume g2g unless signs of obvious bacterial infection. But I process roadkill at least once a year so don't take my advice on the matter of food saftey.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There are youtube channels full of people testing WW1 and WW2 rations. I'd assume g2g unless signs of obvious bacterial infection. But I process roadkill at least once a year so don't take my advice on the matter of food saftey.

Yeah, I’ll eat road kill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom