21 SURRENDER OF THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON, TRANSPORT
    22 THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON DIRECTLY TO THE LAW
    23 ENFORCEMENT UNIT, BARRACKS, OR STATION IF THE PERSON HAS NOTIFIED
    24 THE LAW ENFORCEMENT UNIT, BARRACKS, OR STATION THAT THE PERSON IS
    25 TRANSPORTING THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON IN ACCORDANCE
    26 WITH A COURT ORDER AND THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON IS
    27 UNLOADED.
    28 4–304.
    29 A law enforcement unit may seize as contraband and dispose of according to
    30 regulation an assault [pistol] WEAPON transported, sold, transferred, purchased,
    31 received, or possessed in violation of this subtitle.

Yes, the way I read it, it explicitly states what a person may do with the now registered 'assault weapon': continue to possess or turn it in to the police. Transporting it would allow the police to seize it as contraband. In another thread some members of MDS claimed that the language used is more nuanced than what it appears to say, and that it does actually allow transport. No one cared to explain how so, so I'll stick to my interpretation. This bill is insane and cannot be allowed to pass.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Again, I'll just post this here:

10 (2) A LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER MAY CONTINUE TO POSSESS,
    11 SELL, OFFER FOR SALE, OR TRANSFER AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR A COPYCAT
    12 WEAPON THAT THE LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER LAWFULLY POSSESSED ON OR
    13 BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013.
    14 (3) A PERSON WHO LAWFULLY POSSESSED AN ASSAULT LONG
    15 GUN OR A COPYCAT WEAPON BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013, AND WHO REGISTERS
    16 THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON WITH THE SECRETARY OF
    17 STATE POLICE BEFORE NOVEMBER 1, 2013, MAY:
    18 (I) CONTINUE TO POSSESS THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR
    19 COPYCAT WEAPON; OR
    20 (II) WHILE CARRYING A COURT ORDER REQUIRING THE
    27 UNLOADED.
    28 4–304.
    30 regulation an assault [pistol] WEAPON transported, sold, transferred, purchased,

Yes, the way I read it, it explicitly states what a person may do with the now registered 'assault weapon': continue to possess or turn it in to the police. Transporting it would allow the police to seize it as contraband. In another thread some members of MDS claimed that the language used is more nuanced than what it appears to say, and that it does actually allow transport. No one cared to explain how so, so I'll stick to my interpretation. This bill is insane and cannot be allowed to pass.

It's very confusing however I see it another way.
    It seems that in the first clause a licensed firearm dealer may sell, transfer...... etc before October 31.

Then at the bottom it prohibits the sale transfer and so on if it is in violation of the subtitle which is after the 31st.

In the same way if you register the weapon in the correct time period you would not be violating the subtitle. Violating the subtitle (not registering) would make it contraband and subject for confiscation if transported because at this point in time you are not allowed to possess if you did not register.

I'm not a lawyer or understand the nuances in legalese but this is what I'm seeing. It is confusing non the less and needs clarity from the ones who wrote the bill as soon as possible.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Part I: Does this APPLY to me!

4–303. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(1) transport an assault weapon into the State; or
    (2) possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault weapon.

Well do I own an Assault Weapon? (YES/NO) If NO, then it does NOT apply to me.

If YES, and I had not submitted to the will of the state to register like a sex offender then: I cannot transport an assault weapon into the state, possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault weapon. (b)

So what does that mean for me, since I own an evil assault weapon and I registered like a sex offender?

First, nowhere does it state that you cannot transport your weapon within the state.
    Since a registered Assault weapon would be allowed to remain in your possession as allowed subsection (b),

You cannot do the following:
    Transport an assault weapon into the State.
    Sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault weapon.

NOTHING ELSE IS PROHIBITED.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    First goes the 2nd, then the 4th, then the 1st. Only in MD, guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County

19 COPYCAT WEAPON; OR
    27 UNLOADED.
    28 4–304.

Ok, first off IANAL but I think people are not interpreting 4-304 correctly. Earlier in the statue it used the phase "transport into the state", but in 4-304 the "into the state" is missing. Is this why everyone is saying we can't transport our weapons to the range? The key here is line 31 "in violation of this subtitle". If you register your weapon by the deadline, you will NOT be violating the statue. If you fail to register your weapon by the deadline, then yes, the police will confiscate it. As I see it all this does is give the police the right to confiscate banned weapons that are not registered.

I do think it's important for someone attending the upcoming hearing to ask this question for we 1) have and answer, and 2) that answer is on record.

TimGB

Jul 10, 2011

19 COPYCAT WEAPON; OR
    27 UNLOADED.
    28 4–304.

When I read it, I thought the ability to transport the registered/grandfathered "assault weapon" was implicit although I agree it was not spelled out clearly. I think people are reading the line about being able to transport with court order to surrender as implying that is the only time you can transport. I am thinking that is meant to cover the case where you are surrendering an "assault weapon" that is not properly registered or has been revoked/expired so as not to make the activity of surrendering it illegal.

mtb

May 24, 2011
    For transport of every other weapon type they spell out where you can transport them. Here they do not use that same text; the text they do use says only with a court order to take the gun to the police.

Ken

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    There are multiple reasons this Bill violates the 2nd amendment and should be opposed. If we argue over certain "bits" of the bill, I believe it indicates we have already conceded to its passing and are begging them to throw us a bone. One year ago, we were very close to getting our CCW rights restored, now they want to gut the entire 2A. I don't believe public sentiment has really changed that much in Md. to support this and we need to bring this to light. If the state sent an armored carrier to "transport" my AR to the range free of charge, I still OPPOSE the bill.

mtb

May 24, 2011
    I think everyone here opposes it. It is just worse than most people think. People need to get down to Annapolis on the 6th!

Les Gawlik

Ultimate Member
    Apr 2, 2009
    Just keep in mind that some of these extreme provisions are bargaining chips to be tossed away. I received a forwarded email (not sent to me) from a state delegate that it is guaranteed "something will pass". So they allow us to transport to or from a range, like current handgun laws, keep all the registration stuff, and call it a day. We breathe a sigh of relief, and they march us a little further into servitude.

This has nothing to do with Sandy Hook, children or even guns, for that matter. This is all about getting MOM to energize his base and test the waters for 2016. He first has to get on the national stage to participate in the primary process. He has been a D spokesperson (my party, as of last Wednesday) for some time, but is not known outside of Maryland.

This is geared to get national attention. The Monica Media will, I think, be out in force, and it won't be to show how decent and patriotic we are. MOM will do everything possible to portray us in a false light to "justify" draconian restrictions. Either way he wins. Crime has been trending down. If that continues, he can claim credit. If it doesn't, he can give an "Our achievements to date are impressive, but there's work to be done" speech.

Smart people would be trying to figure out how to give MOM some favorable press without losing our 2A rights. We are just pawns in their game.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There are multiple reasons this Bill violates the 2nd amendment and should be opposed. If we argue over certain "bits" of the bill, I believe it indicates we have already conceded to its passing and are begging them to throw us a bone. One year ago, we were very close to getting our CCW rights restored, now they want to gut the entire 2A. I don't believe public sentiment has really changed that much in Md. to support this and we need to bring this to light. If the state sent an armored carrier to "transport" my AR to the range free of charge, I still OPPOSE the bill.

This will make it that much easier when a suit is filed.....

If this thing gets passed, I am praying they pass the biggest turd they can. The lawyers and courts will have a field day. MD needs to get its pee-pee spanked in regards to how they view the 2A.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Just keep in mind that some of these extreme provisions are bargaining chips to be tossed away. I received a forwarded email (not sent to me) from a state delegate that it is guaranteed "something will pass". So they allow us to transport to or from a range, like current handgun laws, keep all the registration stuff, and call it a day. We breathe a sigh of relief, and they march us a little further into servitude.

This has nothing to do with Sandy Hook, children or even guns, for that matter. This is all about getting MOM to energize his base and test the waters for 2016. He first has to get on the national stage to participate in the primary process. He has been a D spokesperson (my party, as of last Wednesday) for some time, but is not known outside of Maryland.

This is geared to get national attention. The Monica Media will, I think, be out in force, and it won't be to show how decent and patriotic we are. MOM will do everything possible to portray us in a false light to "justify" draconian restrictions. Either way he wins. Crime has been trending down. If that continues, he can claim credit. If it doesn't, he can give an "Our achievements to date are impressive, but there's work to be done" speech.

Smart people would be trying to figure out how to give MOM some favorable press without losing our 2A rights. We are just pawns in their game.

While I agree that this is about MOM, I think if that is the case then he is grossly misreading the electorate. Obama didn't get elected because of a shift in the electorate like all the meatheads in the media are saying. He got elected because he is a cult of personality. If he would have been open about how strict he wanted the new AWB to be, he would have never won Ohio and probably Pennsylvania.

I think if he gets an AWB ban passed here it will be just as toxic, if not more so, as Romney passing healthcare in Massachusetts. Cuomo is in the same boat.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    There is nothing in this law that changes transport for long guns, or changes the status of "registered assault" weapons to be treated as handguns for transport purposes. It also doesn't say you can "posses in the home".

This bill sucks bad enough for so many reasons, but I don't think this is one of them.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring

MOM needs to wake up with a dead hooker in his bed in a room full of reporters to de-rail his political machine. Otherwise he has his bases covered.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Since I'd be a criminal anyhow. I pleed the 5th Amendment.

nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

SB 281 does infringe on 2 Amendment rights. DC vs Heller also says this.
    . The handgun ban and the trigger-lock requirement (as applied to self-defense) violate the Second Amendment . The District’s total ban on handgun possession in the home amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of “arms” that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense. Under any of the standards of scrutiny the Court has applied to enumerated constitutional rights, this prohibition—in the place where the importance of the lawful defense of self, family, and property is most acute—would fail constitutional muster.

The way I read this is any total ban of firearms is and entire class of 'arms" as stated above.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Whether or not we can transport our ARs and AKs to the range is not important now. We need to fight the bill tooth and nail to the bitter end. If we cannot win this battle, we can worry about the details then. At least they give us one month to sell.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    SB 281 does infringe on 2 Amendment rights. DC vs Heller also says this.

Correct. This IS a class of arms that Americans turn to for self defense. Our lawmakers are too arrogant to believe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom