Your suggestions on a handgun for my wife?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USN24

DoubleO7
    Oct 21, 2010
    Washington County
    Your suggestions on a handgun for my wife?

My wife has been asking me about getting a gun for her to protect the family when I'm not home. I already have a .45 six shooter, which she is familiar with. I guess my question is does she need a semi-automatic handgun? She has said it's too hard to get to my gun if an intruder breaks in. Keep in mind we have small children, and having them easily accessible is one of my greatest fears.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Also, what are your thoughts about keeping it loaded in a gun case? And where should I put it?

I have two little ones. I keep a 1911 cocked and locked inside of this http://www.thesafeplace.com/handgun-safes/fort-knox/handgun-safe.html

Bolted to the floor inside of my closet, about 3ft from my night stand. They don't make them any better and the locking mechanism is perfect for quick, reliable access.

I could easily fit a 2nd full size 1911 in it. You could put something for you in it and a 380 or something for the Misses.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I might suggest a compact 9mm. Like a Glock 19, M&P9c, P229, SR9c. Whatever one she's most comfortable with.

As for storage, a small quick access storage safe like Brian above me suggested is the best option.

Lawman1800

Jul 29, 2012
    I would suggest something like a Glock 19 loaded in a bio-metric safe like the small gun vault. You can program you and her fingers into the system and open it quickly with the swipe of a finger. Always keep your defense guns loaded with a round in the chamber. Unloaded guns are dangerous. During the stress of an actual home invasion you want to be able to just grab and gun and be ready to do what you have to do. Light mounted on the pistol is also a great idea.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Take her out and let her handle the handguns in which she is interested. Let her pick the one that feels best in her hands and best suits her needs.

Like buying shoes, it pays off to try em on first. :thumbsup:

Don't forget the criminal penalties in MD for having firearms that children may be able to access. A safe, gun box or fortified storage area is a must.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    I would suggest something like a Glock 19 loaded in a bio-metric safe like the small gun vault. You can program you and her fingers into the system and open it quickly with the swipe of a finger. Always keep your defense guns loaded with a round in the chamber. Unloaded guns are dangerous. During the stress of an actual home invasion you want to be able to just grab and gun and be ready to do what you have to do. Light mounted on the pistol is also a great idea.

I agree but I don't like biometric safes for HD.

The last thing I want between me and my 45 in a defensive situation is an electronic mechanism. I just don't trust them. YMMV.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I have a Glock 23 with a S&W light in a small stack on safe in my night stand. In the same safe is a browning hi power. A glock with one in the chamber helps me sleep at night. No fumbling, just open the safe (easy 4 digit code on silent mode) and bam im ready. No noisy racking of a slide either.

Lawman1800

Jul 29, 2012
    I've heard glock's don't have safeties, but keeping one out of the chamber would probably suffice, right?

Safeties can get you killed man. Under stress you want her to just pick the gun up and fire if need be without having to worry about any extra steps.

hwalker71

Jan 24, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Just some friendly suggestions:

Go with what she knows: If she's already comfortable with a revolver get her a .38 that can handle +P ammo. Hollowpoint .38 +P ammo is a good defensive round without excessive recoil. You could also take her to a range to rent a few different handguns to see what see might like.

Next, safety: There are any number of handgun safes that are mountable just about anywhere. You can go on Amazon and look at a vast selection. My recommendation are his and hers safes with push button combos that you both know. This way each of you could get to the others firearm if necessary. Also the safes would allow to keep the firearms loaded or at least have speedloaders/loaded magazines available.

Finally, training: I would be a fool if I at least didn't recommend a defensive shooting course for BOTH of you. It never hurts to have extra training and it will probably be great fun for the both of you. I'm not sure what they offer in your area but if you ask around the forum you'll get plenty of recommendations.

I hope the info helps (without me sounding bossy) and I wish you the best of luck.

USN24

DoubleO7
    Oct 21, 2010
    Washington County
    I have two little ones. I keep a 1911 cocked and locked inside of this http://www.thesafeplace.com/handgun-safes/fort-knox/handgun-safe.html

Bolted to the floor inside of my closet, about 3ft from my night stand. They don't make them any better and the locking mechanism is perfect for quick, reliable access.

I could easily fit a 2nd full size 1911 in it. You could put something for you in it and a 380 or something for the Misses.

I really like this idea! What if my kids find it, is it easy for them to push the buttons and maybe unlock it by accident? I know I know, I'm extra cautious, just want to be sure.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I've heard glock's don't have safeties, but keeping one out of the chamber would probably suffice, right?

They don't have traditional safeties. They do have safety mechanisms built in. Look up "Glock Safe Action Trigger". Also I am of the "safeties are inherently dangerous" crowd. By this I mean they can fail. They create false trust. Also remembering to disable a manual safety in a high stress situation isn't easy.

Lawman1800

Jul 29, 2012
    They don't have traditional safeties. They do have safety mechanisms built in. Look up "Glock Safe Action Trigger". Also I am of the "safeties are inherently dangerous" crowd. By this I mean they can fail. They create false trust. Also remembering to disable a manual safety in a high stress situation isn't easy.

:thumbsup:

USN24

DoubleO7
    Oct 21, 2010
    Washington County
    Just some friendly suggestions:

Go with what she knows: If she's already comfortable with a revolver get her a .38 that can handle +P ammo. Hollowpoint .38 +P ammo is a good defensive round without excessive recoil. You could also take her to a range to rent a few different handguns to see what see might like.

Next, safety: There are any number of handgun safes that are mountable just about anywhere. You can go on Amazon and look at a vast selection. My recommendation are his and hers safes with push button combos that you both know. This way each of you could get to the others firearm if necessary. Also the safes would allow to keep the firearms loaded or at least have speedloaders/loaded magazines available.

Finally, training: I would be a fool if I at least didn't recommend a defensive shooting course for BOTH of you. It never hurts to have extra training and it will probably be great fun for the both of you. I'm not sure what they offer in your area but if you ask around the forum you'll get plenty of recommendations.

I hope the info helps (without me sounding bossy) and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the advice. I'm very familiar with close quarters combat, from my experience in the military. I've gone over different scenarios with her as well. But having her go through a class wouldn't be a bad idea!

G

George

I bought a Bersa Thunder 380 for my fiancée. I keep my handguns loaded with a second magazine loaded in my safe.
    I also have kids, Just keep the keys inaccessible to them at all times.
    As others have said I do not trust a biometric safe. sweaty fingers, a new cut on the fingers, bad batteries, etc. can stop them from reading the fingerprints.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    I really like this idea! What if my kids find it, is it easy for them to push the buttons and maybe unlock it by accident? I know I know, I'm extra cautious, just want to be sure.

It's a simplex lock that you can set yourself (5 button, you can even use combos like button 1, button 4, button 2+5). It would be next to impossible for a young child to accidentally enter the combo in the right order (without hitting the wrong button before or after the sequence, which kills it) and subsequently turn the knob in the correct direction.

As an extra layer of security, I press one of the "wrong" buttons after closing it. That means I have to turn the knob counterclockwise before entering the code when I have to open it. I do this for the .000000000000000000001% chance that someone stumbled upon it, entered the right code and turned the knob. I practice getting out of bed and opening the safe regularly and it doesn't add any measurable amount of time to the process.

Simplex locks are perfect for HD safes. Extremely reliable, no electronics... they always work. The one I linked to is the best one on the market. 10 gauge steel, lifetime warranty. Just put four lag bolts through the bottom and you're set!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom