• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The Peoples Republic of Takoma, the state's largest undocumented HOA, has come out from under its flat rock and issued orders.

Aside from trimming overgrown veg, they want me to "fix" a retaining wall that doesn't need repair. The thing is, the wall was not properly tied into the end post when constructed, probably 80 years or so ago. I had a further bit of wall erected on the driveway side, after an old oak fell, and the stump which held that part of the yard in place finally rotted away. The way the corner pillar was built, it couldn't be tied into on that side either.

The thing has increasingly developed a lean - see pictures - and I suspect it could somehow be reset or replaced without having to build new walls. I'm not up to the job, but no doubt someone here could do it.

Additionally, there's probably some scraping/painting to be done, if anyone's interested.

Attachments

• 20210702_184204_resized.jpg
      20210702_184204_resized.jpg
      76.5 KB · Views: 493
    • 20210702_184134_resized(1).jpg
      20210702_184134_resized(1).jpg
      130.7 KB · Views: 495

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    As someone who just wrote a $6500 check for mason work, my guess is you’re in for more then you think. Keep in mind what was code a long time ago is no longer code.

Water and vegetation is not your friend

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    On what authority do they issue this order? It was built before code was a thing. Code is not retroactive otherwise no old homes would be left standing.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    On what authority do they issue this order? It was built before code was a thing. Code is not retroactive otherwise no old homes would be left standing.

If it's bordering a public sidewalk, it could be a safety issue.

If it's in the middle of his property and they're complaining because they don't like the look of it, they should FO.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    That's not going to be a small job to do correctly. Masons are one of the most in demand trades right now, so I hope someone can hook you up.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Cheaper to pull it down.

Was the original permit for said work okayed by Tooklosema Park?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    If it's bordering a public sidewalk, it could be a safety issue.

If it's in the middle of his property and they're complaining because they don't like the look of it, they should FO.

"Could be" and speculation aside, 1) what is the exact basis of their claimed authority for this specific alleged violation, if any, 2) exactly what facts do they allege that support a claim of violation, and 3) what evidence do they have to support their allegations?

We should all be getting tired of bureaucrats' bulls*t and overwhelm them with pushback.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Mud jack?

Interesting. (I seem to recall that this sort of thing being considered to shore up the famous Leaning Tower of Pizza. Or maybe it was sauce jacking?)

The only part of the wall that looks problematic is the one column at the end of the run. Is it likely I can find someone to undertake such a small-scale project?

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    Wasn't leaning like that when we installed the retaining wall.

My solution would be to remove it and build a new one from the same type of wall block as your retainer, but then it won't match the front wall.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Wasn't leaning like that when we installed the retaining wall.

My solution would be to remove it and build a new one from the same type of wall block as your retainer, but then it won't match the front wall.

PM sent.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I would get the longest concrete drill bit that I could find and hopefully bolt that thing back to proper vertical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom