• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Was chronographing some handloads in my Remington 700 VSSF (.223) when bolt handle came off in my hand. I was going up the line in increased powder charges when on the next increment after firing, the bolt lifted with no noticeable resistance but couldn't extract the spent case. After pulling and pulling on the bolt handle reluctantly took a rubber mallet did a couple of increasingly harder hits on the bolt handle to extract the spent round. Of course stopped firing that load and went to the next load to chronograph. I fired the next 15 rounds with no problem and gave the rifle a rest to cool off.

After resuming with the 700 VSSF upon the forward motion of the bolt to chamber a round the bolt handle came off in my hand. Fortunately that didn't happen on the down stroke of the bolt or it may have been a bit[h getting a live round out of the chamber.

I guess it is a matter of cleaning up the bolt and handle and rewelding. I've had the rifle for over 20 years and have hardly fired it. I don't want to send it back to Remington (not sure if they are even still around let alone if it would even be a warranty repair especially since it involved a handload). Anyway who would the MDS brain trust recommend as a local ( to central MD) gunsmith that could make this repair?

Attachments

• IMG_5326.JPG
      IMG_5326.JPG
      97.4 KB · Views: 526

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Another vote for John. I had him thread my R700 bolt so I could screw on an oversized bolt handle - worked great.
    He also put on an SPS barrel and did some extra work he found it needed out of necessity for free. He's good people.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    John does great work.

But you may be looking at a few months to get in the queue.

Short Action Customs in Ohio does Rem 700 bolts. I had them install a new knob, and they reinforce the arm. One week from shipping to getting it back.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Is it just me or is that something that really shouldn't have happened at all? Is this something Remington would fix due to manufacturer defect?

I realize that banging on a bolt handle with a rubber mallet is a bit extreme but aren't good welds supposed to be a permanent fusing of two parts? It looks like there were all kinds of gaps between the two pieces. Then again, I don't know much about welding, so this might be perfectly normal.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I also recommend John at Duffy’s. I would imagine Remington would just send a new one. They have always been great about this type of thing regardless of age.

Years ago a bunch of us were doing late season deer drives in deep snow. A buddy must have let his 870 slug guns barrel drag through the snow and obstructed the barrel. When he took a shot it Elmer Fudded the end of the barrel. Remington replaced it no questions asked!

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    Just to pile-on, John at Duffy's is fantastic to deal with. Fair pricing, great communications, honest about timeline, and immaculate work.

Scott's Gunsmithing

Industry Partner
    Mar 21, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD
    In 6 months or so - that always seems to be the caveat with Scott's - excellent work, but be prepared to wait for it.

Seems to me like this world needs more gunsmiths.

For much work, we usually quote 2 - 3 months. Yes some jobs can be longer. Small jobs are usually only 2 - 4 weeks depending on the job and whats currently in the pipeline. And, if you need the firearm sooner (hunting season, upcoming competition, Police service firearm, etc) effort can be made to expedite the process. that doesn't usually mean same day or next day, but is often in just a few days to a couple weeks.

beau aka sxs

Dsnyder

MDS Supporter
    Jun 23, 2015
    Baltimore
    Does anyone know how the handle was originally attached? It looks like it was some type of silver solder to me.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I have about a dozen of these Remington handles in my gunsmithing room. I bought them from GunPartsCorp. I believe. I use them on Mauser Bolts when I build my sporter rifles. I use a wire feed welder for mine. I dont think brazing would be wise as too much constant heat on the bolt to braze handle on. Looks like a wire feed weld but light. No flow or penetration

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    They are silver sodered on. GreTan does this work. It has to be timed correctly or you wo t have primary extraction. Whatever you do, don't send it to Dan in Alaska. He will screw you over. Ask me how I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom