• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goodlife61

Sep 29, 2021
    I’m considering machining up a scope mount for a competition build. I feel like I should build in a little elevation. The question is how much? I intend to attempt longer range with this than I have experience with currently.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I’m considering machining up a scope mount for a competition build. I feel like I should build in a little elevation. The question is how much? I intend to attempt longer range with this than I have experience with currently.
    Most quality mounts these days are employing a 30MOA rail, minimum of 20 MOA.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Look at the maximum elevation travel in the scope and compare that against the trajectory of what you’ll be shooting and at what ranges you’ll be dialing to and it will help you find your answer.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    20 MOA rails are pretty much the standard. Although more and more people are putting on 30 MOA rails.

You do need to make sure you can zero your scope at 100 yards with the particular mount.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Do a google search for scope shim calculator. Usually you figure about .001" for one inch @100 yards but it varies slightly according to scope ring spacing.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you have the capability to machine it yourself, get a chart together, and see what works based on the range you intend to shoot. It's true 20MOA is kinda standard-ish, but you have an opportunity to do something cool, like center your elevation within a certain range. A 308 running out to 1,000 yards will be about 20moa drop around 700 yards, and 40moa about 1K, so a 20MOA makes sense, bring it down 20MOA to shoot close, then up to center and then up 20MOA for targets around 1K, so you are within 20MOA adjustment along the total range. That will be different if you are shooting a flatter caliber closer, where a 10MOA or even a 0MOA base might make sense, or a greater MOA base might make sense if you are shooting something big really far, and never shoot close besides sighting in at an offset.

or just ask E.Shell, his advice is gospel

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom