• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Mud Turtle, you raise a valid point.

The problem is, I don't think there was a problem with the optic the OP had installed on the rifle when we met at the range. He mentioned prior issues and may have corrected those by swapping out the optic.

I took my rifle toolkit and we checked ring & base torque before doing anything. I then took the upper off, laid it on sandbags and bore sighted it. The existing POI vs POA was probably 4 feet apart at 50 yards. I spun the turrets and got it close.

After bore sighting, the OP fired two shots almost touching at 50 yards, about 4" out at 1 o'clock. I dialed the correction and the OP put the next two in the center. The rest of the shooting was just refining technique and we made another click or two adjustment when we went to 100.

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Mud Turtle, you raise a valid point.

The problem is, I don't think there was a problem with the optic the OP had installed on the rifle when we met at the range. He mentioned prior issues and may have corrected those by swapping out the optic.

I took my rifle toolkit and we checked ring & base torque before doing anything. I then took the upper off, laid it on sandbags and bore sighted it. The existing POI vs POA was probably 4 feet apart at 50 yards. I spun the turrets and got it close.

After bore sighting, the OP fired two shots almost touching at 50 yards, about 4" out at 1 o'clock. I dialed the correction and the OP put the next two in the center. The rest of the shooting was just refining technique and we made another click or two adjustment when we went to 100.
    Ed,
    Thanks for your explanation and thanks for helping this fellow.

Mud Turtle

Jan 11, 2009
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Ed,
    I hope that you masked up and socially distanced when you assisted hidaro with the sight-in.

Attachments

• greta-thunberg-AP.jpg
      greta-thunberg-AP.jpg
      41.6 KB · Views: 238
    Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Good on you Ed , glad everything is good for the OP .

Once again , basic fundamentals will usually either solve the problem , or point to an actual issue .

Sarguy7777

Kwitcherbitchin
    Feb 26, 2012
    Odenton

I love that about the AR platform/optics, or any rifle where you can see down the breech from behind. It's so trivial to get on paper with your first rounds if you just set it stable, center your eye behind the bore, pick an object that you can see, and zero your optic to that object. I don't remember where I learned that but I've been doing it for years and it's saves so much time and ammo!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I love that about the AR platform/optics, or any rifle where you can see down the breech from behind. It's so trivial to get on paper with your first rounds if you just set it stable, center your eye behind the bore, pick an object that you can see, and zero your optic to that object. I don't remember where I learned that but I've been doing it for years and it's saves so much time and ammo!

Heck yes. I’ve only ran in to optics being so far off as to cause an issue sighting in a small number of times. But with bolt guns and ARs it makes it real easy if you can get the rifle/upper reasonably stable to bore sight it.

And the worst that comes to worse is a 16” target and clover leaf it. If the first shot isn’t on target. Put a round on the top center of the paper. Then bottom center. Right edge. Left edge. Check the paper each time. Still not, put it. At each diagonal corner. Still not, move the width of the paper out and repeat. Won’t catch it if you are several feet off, but so far my worst was only off by about 18” left and 3” low at 50yds (I had thought the scope was at mechanical zero and turns out it wasn’t)

If it is possible with the platform if the first round isn’t on target I’ll pull the bolt and bore sight it, but I usually give things the benefit of the doubt for one round first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom