• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RSshootingsports

Industry Partner
    Mar 13, 2011
    Centreville MD
    We charge $35 for all transfers. Our customers pay the MSP their $10 directly when we’re filling out the 77r. We would be more than happy to handle all of your transfers for you.

cornstalk

Mar 13, 2013
    Everything firearm related is a ripoff in the state of MD. If you shop around you might find a dealer who will help you. I once bought a handgun out-of-state and then tried to have it transferred to an in-state MD dealer. They all wanted over $100 because it did not come with the MSP mandated spent shell casing, which had to come that way from the factory. You couldn't just go in the back and fire a round into a trap, without some special certification, and only a few dealers had them, and wanted an arm and a leg. A couple of dealers were mad at me for not buying from them and flat refused to do a transfer, certification or not. I started calling every dealer listed online and finally found one that did it for around $25-35 and ignored the missing spent casing. MD finally did away with that requirement after it was disclosed that MSP was warehousing millions of spent casings, they weren't being properly cataloged, and they were running out of space. Another instance of voting in something before verifying manpower and infrastructure.

It took me awhile after moving there to figure out it is not legal anywhere in the state - even on public lands - to shoot a tin can outside of a shooting range. Also owners of shooting ranges are all for making it illegal to shoot outside of a range for obvious reasons. Likewise with the safety inspection on vehicles. I tried to get a motorcycle inspected and every motorcycle place treated it like they were doing an engine rebuild. Glad I'm out of that communist state. I only keep my membership here because I still have friends there.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    The even bigger ripoff are the (very) few FFLs charging sales tax on a transfer.

Hence all these E-commerce sites charging tax within the past few years, they knew no one is going to pay it like everything else people order online so it was just another way to get over on someone while pocketing some more cash.

Good for them though for making extra bank in the subterfuge of "sales tax"

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I just moved here from the free state of Texas.....
    Move back. As quickly as you can. I'm a Nebraska transplant here and have been stuck here for over 30 years because I married into it. Trust me and do yourself a favor: GET OUT.

You're welcome. :D

Hibs

Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Move back. As quickly as you can. I'm a Nebraska transplant here and have been stuck here for over 30 years because I married into it. Trust me and do yourself a favor: GET OUT.

You're welcome. :D

My planned stay here is short term and I am going back to TX at some point.

Where from in NE?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Everything firearm related is a ripoff in the state of MD. If you shop around you might find a dealer who will help you. I once bought a handgun out-of-state and then tried to have it transferred to an in-state MD dealer. They all wanted over $100 because it did not come with the MSP mandated spent shell casing, which had to come that way from the factory. You couldn't just go in the back and fire a round into a trap, without some special certification, and only a few dealers had them, and wanted an arm and a leg. A couple of dealers were mad at me for not buying from them and flat refused to do a transfer, certification or not. I started calling every dealer listed online and finally found one that did it for around $25-35 and ignored the missing spent casing. MD finally did away with that requirement after it was disclosed that MSP was warehousing millions of spent casings, they weren't being properly cataloged, and they were running out of space. Another instance of voting in something before verifying manpower and infrastructure.

It took me awhile after moving there to figure out it is not legal anywhere in the state - even on public lands - to shoot a tin can outside of a shooting range. Also owners of shooting ranges are all for making it illegal to shoot outside of a range for obvious reasons. Likewise with the safety inspection on vehicles. I tried to get a motorcycle inspected and every motorcycle place treated it like they were doing an engine rebuild. Glad I'm out of that communist state. I only keep my membership here because I still have friends there.

Sorry for your experience. It sure can suck. But you even mentioned WHY for a couple of years there it was so expensive for transfers in. If an FFL gets raked over the coals on work, why would they not charge for it? Blame MSP/MDLEG.

For shooting a tin can off a range being illegal, we’re you in Howard county or Baltimore city? Most of the state it is perfectly legal so long as your town doesn’t have any weapons discharge ordinances prohibiting it or some sort of safety zone problems trying to shoot on an acre.

I hear guys over in Carroll county shooting on their properties all the time. Perfectly legal. No you cannot shoot on state lands except for hunting. Which sucks. But frankly most state lands are too small to really safely coexist with people target shooting, hunting, fishing, hiking, horseback riding, camping, etc.

With a couple of exceptions you aren’t talking 80,000 acre state forests or something like that (Greenridge is the biggest at 44,000 acres. Most are hundreds of acres and only a few thousands of acres).

Never had an issue with inspections in my life here. Easier than many states for cost and requirements on one. And not needed annually like some states.

Jroc

Nov 26, 2019
    White Marsh
    I’m with you. I typically use Blue Fins they’d used to give a nice MDshooters discount taking it from $45’to $25 + MSP $10 fee but now it’s only a $10 discount better than nothing though

Eye hart 762

Apr 8, 2019
    I’m with you. I typically use Blue Fins they’d used to give a nice MDshooters discount taking it from $45’to $25 + MSP $10 fee but now it’s only a $10 discount better than nothing though

I also frequent blue fins. I use them for all of my online purchases. Have a Canik there now waiting to get out of gun jail

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I use a gun shop in St. Mary's. I dont want to say the name in case that is not allowed here. He charges me 20 flat. No additional 10. In fact, when I have more than one come in at once, it is still, 20 dollars flat. I tried to get him to take 40 last time I got two at once, and he wouldn't have it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I use a gun shop in St. Mary's. I dont want to say the name in case that is not allowed here. He charges me 20 flat. No additional 10. In fact, when I have more than one come in at once, it is still, 20 dollars flat. I tried to get him to take 40 last time I got two at once, and he wouldn't have it.
    Wow! That means he's really charging you $10 for a handgun transfer since $10 goes directly to the MSP. He must really enjoy doing transfers, he sure isn't doing it for the money!

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Friend in PA uses a shop that charges $25 flat rate for as many items he transfers at one time. He’s done 10 stripped lowers and 4 rifles and it was $25

Yes, we are groomed to accept the gouge here

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Friend in PA uses a shop that charges $25 flat rate for as many items he transfers at one time. He’s done 10 stripped lowers and 4 rifles and it was $25

Yes, we are groomed to accept the gouge here

In PA does he have to hold onto the lowers for 7 days? In MD the FFL does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom