• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    Forgive me if this is a duplicate post. I have several MD registered handguns and lowers. Upon my passing, what will my wife or son need to do to be able to transfer the guns into his or her name? My wife is personal representative.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Forgive me if this is a duplicate post. I have several MD registered handguns and lowers. Upon my passing, what will my wife or son need to do to be able to transfer the guns into his or her name? My wife is personal representative.

One thing is to make sure you specifically leave what you want to who you want in your will. Still need to meet all regulatory requirements such as not prohibited person, yada, yada, yada.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    pro tip, dont retire in Maryland. easy peasy lemon squeezy. Retire in one of dem free states without income tax and wtf is registration of guns anyway?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since this is Maryland , there are multiple issues .
    Generically , u n less you are an orphan with no living relatives other than wife . an Estate will all took often bring out greed and major squabbles about everything ( gun related and everything else) .

Normal handguns aren't a big hassle .

Grandfathered Banned firearms , you have to actually Die first , no giving them away ahead of time , or named beneficiaries not wanting them , and passing them along to ( in state) 3rd parties
    Best Practices is to specifically name them by s/n in your will .

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    pro tip, dont retire in Maryland. easy peasy lemon squeezy. Retire in one of dem free states without income tax and wtf is registration of guns anyway?
    Most options out west. Not going there. Hate Florida, too hot. PA look promising, no registration and don’t tax pension and I like the hills.

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    I just read in a post from 2013 that an individual is exempt from having to obtain a HQL if a handgun is passed on to them as an inheritance. Is this correct?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For actual direct inheritance . Giving away because you are slowing down in advanced years , or further distribution by named beneficiaries are regular transfers .

If the Will is unclear, or the deceased is intestate , consult your Estate Attorney .

Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    For actual direct inheritance . Giving away because you are slowing down in advanced years , or further distribution by named beneficiaries are regular transfers .

If the Will is unclear, or the deceased is intestate , consult your Estate Attorney .
    Understood. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom