• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shore88

Dec 20, 2020
    Eastern Shore
    They don't.

You just tell them you sold it.

If you are concerned, do a bill of sale with the buyer putting info and signing.

The same thing if you bought a rifle from a dealer (logged in their bound book and on the 4473) and then sold it FTF.
    Understood. Thanks

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    When you buy a gun or gun part that requires a 77r, you are 'listed' as the original owner of said part. If you sell it face to face (which in most cases is still legal), a search on that serial number will trace back to you as the original owner. Always. That doesn't mean you still own it. It only means you bought it first.
    If I have that right.

Not in a few more weeks.

:sad20:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    MSP records are like Herpes , they NEVER go away . Once a transfer is done by ( to) you , they records never change , there is no process to " unregister " anything .

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    Legal sale?

I have not read through this whole thread but I am looking at selling a couple of built ar15 to a friend, can I legally do this through just a bill of sale face to face? I built them both from lower receiver purchases. The friend is a resident of North Carolina. Thanks

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I have not read through this whole thread but I am looking at selling a couple of built ar15 to a friend, can I legally do this through just a bill of sale face to face? I built them both from lower receiver purchases. The friend is a resident of North Carolina. Thanks
    Interstate (and now intrastate), go through an ffl.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Are you saying that is the law or what you would do? Just curious. Thanks!

If you are a Maryland resident then by Federal law you'd need to transfer through an FFL to a NC resident. As of this spring 2 Maryland residents would need to transfer through an FFL due to new state law. As long as the AR is an HBAR

eARl

Mar 25, 2014
    If you are a Maryland resident then by Federal law you'd need to transfer through an FFL to a NC resident. As of this spring 2 Maryland residents would need to transfer through an FFL due to new state law. As long as the AR is an HBAR

Gotcha, thanks for your help!!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Federal law requires the sale to go through an FFL in either state for an out of state purchase.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    bump.

I have an AR 15 build I want to sell. I bought a complete lower and then bought a complete upper on the internet.

Am I allow to sell it? It is not a heavy barrel?

I know there are 5 pages to this thread, but maybe the laws changed since 2021??? Thx

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    bump.

I have an AR 15 build I want to sell. I bought a complete lower and then bought a complete upper on the internet.

I know there are 5 pages to this thread, but maybe the laws changed since 2021??? Thx
    To my knowledge - IANAL - if you want to sell it as a completed rifle, if it's MD compliant with an HBAR it's like selling any other long gun and will have to be done through an FFL if done in state.

If you part it out to sell it - upper/lower - then the lower needs to be transferred like a handgun, complete with 7-day wait, and the upper can be cash-and-carry.

That's my loose understanding - if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will come on here in a New York minute to correct me.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    bump.

Not as a complete rifle(in Md). I'm thinking you'd need to sell as two individual sales(lower and upper, each sold separately).

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    To my knowledge - IANAL - if you want to sell it as a completed rifle, if it's MD compliant with an HBAR it's like selling any other long gun and will have to be done through an FFL if done in state.

If you part it out to sell it - upper/lower - then the lower needs to be transferred like a handgun, complete with 7-day wait, and the upper can be cash-and-carry.

That's my loose understanding - if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will come on here in a New York minute to correct me.
    TY for the info. I want to sell it in the classifies but don’t want to hit with the “hammer”.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    TY for the info. I want to sell it in the classifies but don’t want to hit with the “hammer”.

If it's not an HBAR , it's not Md legal , and can't be offered in MDS Classifieds . ( At least not as a complete rifle . )

Can be sold out of state as complete rifle
    Either thru or to an FFL .
    If convenient to you , you could bring it to gun show in Chantilly , Fredericksburg , Gettysburg , York , etc , with a sign of " AR-15 for Sale " . Subsequent sale would have to go thru an FFL per federal law .

Or offer for sale here ( or otherwise in Md ) as seperate Upper and Lower . Lower would have to go through 77R process , Upper unregulated cash & carry .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    When did you buy all the components, and when did you assemble them?

If OP purchased & owned continuously since before Oct 1 2013 , he's Grandfathered . But Grandfathered status only transfers by inheritance , not sale .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom