Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    ...that is the question.

Not that it's a given that I'll have a chance, but in case I do, what do you think? I haven't gotten a daytime picture of him yet and he isn't coming around often, but he seems to be staying in the area. I get pictures of him about once every week or two.

Two things come to mind. One was a phrase that I heard a few years ago that stuck with me: If you only kill big bucks, you'll never kill giant bucks. The second thing is: I don't have a 200 or even a 20 acre farm, and I have no control over anyone else's hunting. This guy would be dead if he walked in front of 19 out of 20 hunter's stand.

So, do I kill him (given the chance), or try to let him get REAL big?

Attachments

• WGI_0142.jpg
      WGI_0142.jpg
      47.8 KB · Views: 735
    • WGI_0145.jpg
      WGI_0145.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 734
    • WGI_0171.jpg
      WGI_0171.jpg
      45.4 KB · Views: 730

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    The question i ask, will someone else shoot him? If answer is yes then shoot him first. Since theres no control/restriction whos to say the next guy wont shoot?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'd rather put a yearling in the freezer. I'll pass on a big buck every time.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

Not saying I won't do that too, but I like chasing a specific buck for a season. It makes it much more fun for me. Also, I like big horns in my hands.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    I'd age him at 3 1/2. Got a big rack on him but body doesn't scream "mature".
    Our family is pretty strict about taking immature bucks, and we have been rewarded with very healthy stock over the last decade. But then again, in Texas we measure in sections not acres.
    The more people we teach about healthy herd management - shooting does for meat, letting the young bucks walk - the better our collective hunting gets.
    He'll be a proud mature 4 1/2 next year; you (and/or your neighbors) will be glad you waited.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'd age him at 3 1/2. Got a big rack on him but body doesn't scream "mature".
    Our family is pretty strict about taking immature bucks, and we have been rewarded with very healthy stock over the last decade. But then again, in Texas we measure in sections not acres.
    The more people we teach about healthy herd management - shooting does for meat, letting the young bucks walk - the better our collective hunting gets.
    He'll be a proud mature 4 1/2 next year; you (and/or your neighbors) will be glad you waited.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I actually have him at 4(.5) now.

Going by the OP, I'm letting him walk for now and keep going after the target buck. That's not to say, come end of the season and I haven't laid eyes on my target buck yet, he wouldn't make a bad consolation prize. BTDT. :)

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I actually have him at 4(.5) now.

Going by the OP, I'm letting him walk for now and keep going after the target buck. That's not to say, come end of the season and I haven't laid eyes on my target buck yet, he wouldn't make a bad consolation prize. BTDT. :)

He does have the roman nose and a saggy chest...maybe he is 4. I hadn't really looked at anything other than the antlers yet.

I don't have a target buck yet this year. If I chose to shoot this guy, he'd definitely be it. I really need to get cameras back up at my other spots though. I'm sure I'm missing out on knowing what's there.

I'm a sucker for tall tines that curve back in a little at the tips, so this guy is really tickling my fancy :innocent0

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i'd be super happy with him. if you don't shoot him, another hunter, or worse, a car, will kill him. that said i'd be fine with a nice big doe.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    Have you ever shot anything bigger than this ? If not, I would take him. If you have shot several bucks in the 155" to 170" then I would pass on him. If he is a trophy in your eyes, then he should be hanging on your wall if you get the chance.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Have you ever shot anything bigger than this ? If not, I would take him. If you have shot several bucks in the 155" to 170" then I would pass on him. If he is a trophy in your eyes, then he should be hanging on your wall if you get the chance.

I agree with this.

If he's bigger than your biggest, shoot him. If he's just typical, let him walk and someone else who see's him as moby dick will pull the trigger and if that doesn't happen he's got great form and he'll breed and be bigger next season.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Deer range for a typical road kill doe is what 1 square mile? Bucks go much further during the rut. Up to you. I guarantee you if i see him I'm letting an arrow fly.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

I've got three mounts on my wall, plus a couple of euro mounts. The full mounts are ~138", ~142", and 168". I would guess that this guy is around 140-145. So yes, I have shot bigger, but not a lot of them. He'd fit right in with my pack.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

Haven’t hunted in three years now but…

I’m feel the same way. They’re easier to get out of the woods and the venison afforded by them is better.

Horns are a plus but I don’t hunt deer primarily for horns. I do it for the flesh.

Let the bucks exist for procreation.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Let him spread his genetics, there will be plenty more in the future.

Make your property the place to be. Feed and good habitat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom