• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • :( I ordered a Marlin 1894 in 357 mag over a year ago not realizing Remington was going into bankruptcy. I was relieved when Ruger bought them and promised production by December...I didn't count on them starting production with the 1895 in 45-70, I contacted their rep the other day via social media to ask when they were expecting to produce the 1894s. He told me because they are a publicly traded company they could not release much information but he added he wouldn't look for them in the "near" future..but Maybe by the end of next year or the following! So I am considering cancelling my order (fully paid for) and buying a Henry. A few questions

1) I don't like the tube mag. I've heard they make a gated model?
    2) I'm looking for that in a steel receiver. I've found a few online in stock..Are the receivers ready for an optic base or can you order them with a rail?
    3) the only Henry firearm I own is their AR7 survival rifle. I'm not familiar with their eject system, Are they side or top eject?
    4) Do they come in carbine length? I want something close to the size and weight of the Marlin.

thanks

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Have you thought about a Uberti. I have one that I use for sass. Check out Taylor&Co. They are in West Virginia I believe and not to awful far from Harpersferry. They sell a lot of stuff for cowboy action shooting .Basic or slicked up . Mine has been a workhorse ( a lot of shooting ) never an issue .

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    I haven’t purchased one yet but I second Taylor’s&co. I handled one in a local shop, liked it way more than any Henry or marlin I have handled.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    :( I ordered a Marlin 1894 in 357 mag over a year ago not realizing Remington was going into bankruptcy. I was relieved when Ruger bought them and promised production by December...I didn't count on them starting production with the 1895 in 45-70, I contacted their rep the other day via social media to ask when they were expecting to produce the 1894s. He told me because they are a publicly traded company they could not release much information but he added he wouldn't look for them in the "near" future..but Maybe by the end of next year or the following! So I am considering cancelling my order (fully paid for) and buying a Henry. A few questions

2) I'm looking for that in a steel receiver. I've found a few online in stock..Are the receivers ready for an optic base or can you order them with a rail?
    3) the only Henry firearm I own is their AR7 survival rifle. I'm not familiar with their eject system, Are they side or top eject?
    4) Do they come in carbine length? I want something close to the size and weight of the Marlin.

thanks

Henry did indeed begin making a steel receiver .357 with a side loading gate. It has the tube also. It is made in a 20 inch barrel "rifle", or in a 16.5 inch "carbine" model. Standard lever on the rifle, large loop on the carbine.

Side eject, and the receivers are drilled and tapped.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    :( I ordered a Marlin 1894 in 357 mag over a year ago not realizing Remington was going into bankruptcy. I was relieved when Ruger bought them and promised production by December...I didn't count on them starting production with the 1895 in 45-70, I contacted their rep the other day via social media to ask when they were expecting to produce the 1894s. He told me because they are a publicly traded company they could not release much information but he added he wouldn't look for them in the "near" future..but Maybe by the end of next year or the following! So I am considering cancelling my order (fully paid for) and buying a Henry. A few questions

thanks

Perhaps there is a flavor I am not aware of, but all 1894s are side eject. 1892s are top eject. From what I’ve heard, the 92s have a nicer action that is smoother and faster to work. But the toggle link isn’t as strong. Which is why it is limited to pistol calibers. Also you have to use a scout optic because if the top ejecting.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    While I'm a fan of levers in 357 (used to have 4, down to 2 currently), another really nice option if you can find on GB is the Ruger 77/357 bolt action. Stainless steel, rugged, lightweight, easy to mount an optic, and can confidently shoot the hottest 357 loads. The flush fitting rotary mags only hold 5 rounds, but easy to quickly swap in a loaded mag if needed. I do wonder if Ruger will bring these back in production. Glad that I grabbed mine when I did.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Perhaps there is a flavor I am not aware of, but all 1894s are side eject. 1892s are top eject. From what I’ve heard, the 92s have a nicer action that is smoother and faster to work. But the toggle link isn’t as strong. Which is why it is limited to pistol calibers. Also you have to use a scout optic because if the top ejecting.

The 1894 for the vast majority of its history was top eject. Angle eject didn't come into being until 1982.

HiStandards

Aug 1, 2017
    Anne Arundel Co
    Winchester 1894 originally top eject rifle cartridges. Later, angle eject and pistol length cartridges added,

Winchester 1892 top eject, pistol length cartridges, 1886-style side bolt lock-up, not 1873 toggle.

Marlin 1894 side eject, pistol length cartridges.

Marlin 1893, later 336 and 1895, side eject, rifle length cartridges.

Clear as mud?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Weird, I bought one in April of this year that someone had ordered towards the end of 2019 and never picked up. The gun shop manager was pulling it out of storage after waiting 6 months for the buyer to show up. SS, laminated stock, big loop, 16.5" barrel. Haven't shot it yet due to ammunition shortage, but it sure looks nice. Was kind of gritty until I used some CLP in the receiver. Now it's pretty smooth.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

thanks

Henry rifles are guaranteed for life, not many other manufacturers have that warranty, they have side gates with tube access. I own several Henrys in from 22 to 45/70 and very accurate with a smooth trigger pull.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I "was" not a huge Henry fan in the beginning. I bought a Henry H001 .22 (basic $199 rifle) for my son.
    The construction was "cheap" feeling compared to my Marlin 39. There was a defect in the Henry and it was sent back on their dime.
    I received the replacement and it went in the safe and sat there for 2 years, when we pulled it out, the same defect existed,, when I finally got around to contacting Henry 6 months later (2.5 years after getting the replacement), they sent me a shipping label and told me to pick out ANY 22 I wanted to replace it.

Henry's warranty is 2nd to none,, and I finally accept a $199 .22 is not going to be the same as a 50 year old marlin 39,, The 2nd replacement has been flawless BTW.

I would look at the Henrys,,

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    While I'm a fan of levers in 357 (used to have 4, down to 2 currently), another really nice option if you can find on GB is the Ruger 77/357 bolt action. Stainless steel, rugged, lightweight, easy to mount an optic, and can confidently shoot the hottest 357 loads. The flush fitting rotary mags only hold 5 rounds, but easy to quickly swap in a loaded mag if needed. I do wonder if Ruger will bring these back in production. Glad that I grabbed mine when I did.

Ruger still has them in their catalog :shrug:

https://www.ruger.com/products/77Series/overview.html

I saw a Rossi at a LGS but it's a top eject and no place for an optic. I will take a llok at some of these options. The main reason I want one is because my father had one for decades that I loved and when he passed it was left to my brother. While my brother has no problems with me borrowing it from time to time it's still his firearm and I want one of my own. I reload 38/357 and have a fair amount of rest for both. Also, because it's a straight walled cartridge it qualifies as a deer hunting gun in former shotgun only counties. It would just be one more option. I've killed a few deer with the one my brother has. It's a fun gun to shoot.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I think they stopped production for a few years but now offer it again. They are very nice rifles and fun to shoot. Very little recoil with the 38's. The .357 mags will give your shoulder a decent thump. I prefer the Marlin 1894 in .357 but this Ruger is a close second.

I like the Ruger 44 Mag carbine for the simple reason that it is threaded and I can put a can on it.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    The Henrys that I've held have been very nice. Actions always smooth. Fit and finish top notch. I'd get a sideloader in 357 in a heartbeat. Tube magazine makes it easy to unload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom