• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    Not much activity here, but thought I would see if someone who knows the answer might just be reading.

We will soon be moving to somewhere outside of Hanover, PA - somewhere in York County. We will likely end up with a home in the country but not much in the way of acreage. Likely less than an acre.

The question has to do with York County laws related to setting up a target practice area with a berm behind the target. Can anyone direct me to the laws that govern what I can and can't do in York county relative to shooting. If I recall correctly, MD has some restrictions related to distances and size. Just wondering what the specific constraints or requirements are in York County to be able to target shoot at home.

Thanks to anyone reading and especially if you can offer some insight or point me in the right direction.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Vast majority of the time it is a boro/township/city ordinance, not county. Some don't allow it at all, some have whatever distance away from other residences and usually a requirement for a backstop. LOTS of private clubs in the area, so if you can't shoot on your property there are other options

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    And then on top of that some of the townships got noise ordinances, so even if target practice is cool the loud POW POW POW isn't LOL

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Not much activity here, but thought I would see if someone who knows the answer might just be reading.

We will soon be moving to somewhere outside of Hanover, PA - somewhere in York County. We will likely end up with a home in the country but not much in the way of acreage. Likely less than an acre.

The question has to do with York County laws related to setting up a target practice area with a berm behind the target. Can anyone direct me to the laws that govern what I can and can't do in York county relative to shooting. If I recall correctly, MD has some restrictions related to distances and size. Just wondering what the specific constraints or requirements are in York County to be able to target shoot at home.

Thanks to anyone reading and especially if you can offer some insight or point me in the right direction.

Welcome to Pennsyl-tucky where you can get your carry permit in 2 days and purchase an AR15 cash and carry!

We moved to Hanover 2 years ago from MD.

There's no state law restricting shooting on your own property.

Here's the relevant law:
    https://law.justia.com/codes/pennsylvania/2010/title-34/chapter-25/2507/
    34 Pa.C.S. § 2507. Restrictions on shooting

(a) General rule.–It is unlawful for any person during the open season for the taking of any big game other than turkey to:

(1) Shoot at any mark or target other than legal game or wildlife with a firearm of any kind or a bow and arrow.

. . .

(b) Exceptions.–This section shall not be construed to apply in any manner to:

. . .

(4) Shooting at a properly constructed target or mark or a dead tree protected by a natural or artificial barrier so that the ball, bullet or arrow cannot travel more than 15 yards beyond the target aimed at, after making due allowance for deflection in any direction not to exceed an angle of 45 degrees. Target shooting shall only be lawful when it is done:

(i) Upon property owned by the shooter or by a guest of the property owner.

(ii) Within 200 yards of the camp or other headquarters where the person shooting is quartered or is an invited guest or visitor.

Local townships may have other restrictions, particularly noise restrictions, which could limit shooting on your own property. I live in Penn Township and we do not have such a restriction here. So you'll have to check with the township of where you plan to live.

PM me if you need a good Real Estate agent.

Definitely PM me when you get here and we'll hit up some of the local breweries!

If you can, try to live in Adams County. Taxes and property are a little lower and it's a little more country so less zoning restrictions. It's just to the west of Hanover.

Welcome to America!

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    If you can, try to live in Adams County. Taxes and property are a little lower and it's a little more country so less zoning restrictions. It's just to the west of Hanover.

Welcome to America!

Adams county also doesn't have the yearly emissions test either.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Carry permit in 2 days?!?! Don't scare the poor guy, I got email that it was ready to pick up the same day I turned my application in!! (1st time application too).

I put my permit request in my mailbox Monday and got the email Wednesday afternoon to pick it up. Some counties are doing same day service in a few hours.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Same day , sometimes , depending upon how busy they are with other stuff when the mail arrives .

But the main point is single digit days , rather than multiple months .

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    OP back with update. Once I received my PA DL, I applied online for my carry permit. It was two days later I received the email and voicemail that I was approved and could schedule a time to pick of my carry permit. About as good service as it could be. Will be picking it up in a couple of days.

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    OP back with update. Once I received my PA DL, I applied online for my carry permit. It was two days later I received the email and voicemail that I was approved and could schedule a time to pick of my carry permit. About as good service as it could be. Will be picking it up in a couple of days.

Welcome to Pa.

I was annoyed i had to drive to york to pick up my permit, then i was talking to a buddy that was going through the md process. Yikes.

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    Welcome to Pa.

I was annoyed i had to drive to york to pick up my permit, then i was talking to a buddy that was going through the md process. Yikes.

We landed in Adams county, which luckily puts me just a short drive to the Sherriff's office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom