• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chestnutlouie

Mar 5, 2017
    mid Maryland
    Ok I confess, I am thinking about buying a Hi-Point Carbine in 45ACP. I reload 45acp ammo for my Ruger 1911 so I have plenty and I have been looking for a carbine with little luck. I stopped in my local gun shop a couple of days ago and saw a Hi-Point Carbine with the "digital" cammo paint job and it didn't look to ugly like the black Hi-Points do and the the price was right.

Question for whoever Actually owns one or who have Actually fired one...... are they fussy about what ammo you shoot?

Please see the picture of what I plan to feed it.

Thanks
    Francis

Attachments

• hi point 45 acp.jpg
      hi point 45 acp.jpg
      71.3 KB · Views: 331

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I don't have a .45 carbine, but I have a 9mm HiPoint carbine, and a .45 HiPoint pistol. Neither are picky with ammo. The 9mm HiPoint has a little thumpier recoil than my other 9mm carbines did, but it ran 100% using the cheapest, crappiest ammo I had. For the money, the HiPoint carbine is a nice gun. In the pistol line, the carbines share the same mags with the pistols. The only HiPoint issues I have ever had were with the 9mm pistol mags, the .45 ones seems to be fine. Promag makes aftermarket 15rd mags, but word is they'll void the warranty, but Redball mags won't, but they look ridiculous. I can't speak for the ammo you show pictured, but I feed my HiPoints the crappiest, cheapest garbage ammo I have, and they just chug along. Hollowpoints, softpoints, flatpoints, etc. If I have any ammo that is questionable, and I wouldn't shoot thru another gun, in the HiPoints it goes.

Welder84

Aug 16, 2016
    Central Maryland
    Similar. I have shot semi wad cutters and ammo that looks like what you have pictured through my Hi Point. I used my gun to test my reloads. I have never had a failure to feed (mine is the 995 9mm).

One word of advice is DO NOT USE AFTERMARKET MAGS. I have seen them break the Hi Point. I once had a broken part and the factory fixed it quickly free of charge.

Hi Points have a crappy trigger, but are reasonably accurate and just work. In the $300-400 hundred dollar range not a bad buy...

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Hi chestnutlouie.

First, since you joined the forum several years ago, you might contribute a little more so you can access the Water Cooler and become involved with the community here. I’ve posted a lot about HP carbines in that section… :innocent0

I have all the Hi-Point carbine calibers except the newer 10mm (hopefully coming soon). We often bring Monkey Guns out to Hooligan shoots to plink with. They are a lot of fun if you remember they are not the highest quality.

Most of my carbines will eat just about anything they're fed: Factory ammo, reloads with plated or lead bullets etc. For 45acp I load cast 240 gr RN boolits. I don't recall trying SWC's but as long as they feed I'll bet my HP carbines would like them.

Monkey guns are a lot of fun. Good luck!

:)

Attachments

• HP Carbines - 4 DSC03255.jpg
      HP Carbines - 4 DSC03255.jpg
      73.3 KB · Views: 273
    • HP4595 10_27_10 - uncropped.jpg
      HP4595 10_27_10 - uncropped.jpg
      52.5 KB · Views: 273
    • DSC03211.jpg
      DSC03211.jpg
      60.6 KB · Views: 273
    • DSC03236 Kate HiPoint.jpg
      DSC03236 Kate HiPoint.jpg
      69.7 KB · Views: 270

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    man nice

Hi chestnutlouie.

First, since you joined the forum several years ago, you might contribute a little more so you can access the Water Cooler and become involved with the community here. I’ve posted a lot about HP carbines in that section… :innocent0

I have all the Hi-Point carbine calibers except the newer 10mm (hopefully coming soon). We often bring Monkey Guns out to Hooligan shoots to plink with. They are a lot of fun if you remember they are not the highest quality.

Most of my carbines will eat just about anything they're fed: Factory ammo, reloads with plated or lead bullets etc. For 45acp I load cast 240 gr RN boolits. I don't recall trying SWC's but as long as they feed I'll bet my HP carbines would like them.

Monkey guns are a lot of fun. Good luck!

I see the original 995 in your pics. Nice. I purchases one of those ATX stock kits to make it look like a Beretta but really fits the original. You can do the TS version but you have to do a lot of work. Once I find a 995 it will have the stock. I purchased that stock like four years ago. lol.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I see the original 995 in your pics. Nice. I purchases one of those ATX stock kits to make it look like a Beretta but really fits the original. You can do the TS version but you have to do a lot of work. Once I find a 995 it will have the stock. I purchased that stock like four years ago. lol.

That’s an older pic and I really need to update it. I put the ATI stock on that 995 a long time ago. It changes the look and is fun. I also have a 995TS to go with it. The 4095 is in its original Monkey config so we have that contrast. My 380 and 45 are newer TS versions. Sooner or later a 10mm will join the clan. :innocent0

Monkey Guns are fun…

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    sorry

That’s an older pic and I really need to update it. I put the ATI stock on that 995 a long time ago. It changes the look and is fun. I also have a 995TS to go with it. The 4095 is in its original Monkey config so we have that contrast. My 380 and 45 are newer TS versions. Sooner or later a 10mm will join the clan. :innocent0

Monkey Guns are fun…

yes ATI. Sorry. Nice. I like them. And that Grandmother in Detroit scared those punks who broke into her house. :)

I have always read that they just work and eat pretty much anything. Plus the lifetime warranty.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Guys may be convincing me . I’ve looked at them , held them . Been thinking about it but just never bought one . I have not heard anything bad about them . Watched some videos where they torture test them and they keep on ticking. When I think I will get one I start thinking well I will save a little more money and get something else . At this point in life my needs are taking care but the wants are still there .

Sirex