• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    I have friend that just picked up one of these and is having trouble with it feeding. About every 30-40 rounds it will feed but stop about an eighth of a inch from going completely into battery. Once the mag is dropped and round ejected the same round can be loaded back into the mag loaded and fired perfectly fine. I don't have a lot of experience with the 1911 platform nor this weapon itself. Can this be just a break in period and if so anything he should do to help this process along? Thank you in advance for any help, I just don't want it to feed any further him not notice and it fire out of battery on him.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm probably least qualified to answer, but I've owned maybe half dozen 1911's and I bet half of them had this "sticking" to varying degrees
    Worst was a Remington R1. I kept it oiled, worked the action a lot, replaced recoil spring and it got better.
    I think the bushing and lug cuts needed some break in time.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Do you know if he cleaned and relubricated it prior to using it?

I've never owned a Springfield product, but I've purchased other handguns that were shipped coated in a very tacky protective grease, more similar to cosmoline than something you'd use as a lubricant.

I could see something like that slowing down the slide enough to prevent it from returning to battery.

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    Do you know if he cleaned and relubricated it prior to using it?

I've never owned a Springfield product, but I've purchased other handguns that were shipped coated in a very tacky protective grease, more similar to cosmoline than something you'd use as a lubricant.

I could see something like that slowing down the slide enough to prevent it from returning to battery.

Yes he fully broke the weapon down cleaned and lubed it before taking it out.

COACH1106

Jun 18, 2020
    HANOVER MD
    Update, he contacted Springfield and they immediately sent him the form to send the firearm back to them. Sounds like they might know that they have a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom