• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    There is a dead buck in the field at the corner of Murphy Road and 29S in Fulton.

Saw him this morning. Hoped someone would have picked him up. Unfortunately, he was still there this afternoon. Guess buzzards have to eat too.

At least a 6 pt, possibly 8.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    My son and one grandson went out yesterday. My son got the buck and small doe. My 6YO grandson shot the big doe. Other grandson will get his turn to hunt this weekend. They are in Tenn. and using AR15.

Attachments

• imageRyanColtonFAdeer2021(57).jpg
      imageRyanColtonFAdeer2021(57).jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 204
    • imageColtonFirarmsDoe2021(58).jpg
      imageColtonFirarmsDoe2021(58).jpg
      35.7 KB · Views: 192
    • imageColtonBigDoeFA2021(59).jpg
      imageColtonBigDoeFA2021(59).jpg
      44.4 KB · Views: 199
    • imageRyanBuckFirearms2021 (60).jpg
      imageRyanBuckFirearms2021 (60).jpg
      49.1 KB · Views: 202

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I shot a deer. It ended up being much smaller than I thought.

Happens. Part of being 25+ Ft up in the tree. Learning body shape of the various age classes helps but by now many of the youngins are also quite hefty anyway. Buttons can be as big as does now.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    My son and one grandson went out yesterday. My son got the buck and small doe. My 6YO grandson shot the big doe. Other grandson will get his turn to hunt this weekend. They are in Tenn. and using AR15.

Congrats to the son and grandson! Looks like a memorable day out.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I was out to get a last day of archery in before firearms starts tomorrow. I settled into my blind a bit later than normal (right around shooting light). This guy came in about 20 minutes later and was hanging out in in front of the blind at ~30yds as dawn was breaking. Not a trophy by any stretch, but the freezer is now where I need it to be minimally for another year.

Attachments

• Buck 11.26.21.jpg
      Buck 11.26.21.jpg
      279.5 KB · Views: 123

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I shot a deer. It ended up being much smaller than I thought.

The easiest way for me to tell a young of year doe from other deer is they lack the long narrow snout of a mature doe. Their heads are more triangular, very much as a mature buck might have.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was out to get a last day of archery in before firearms starts tomorrow. I settled into my blind a bit later than normal (right around shooting light). This guy came in about 20 minutes later and was hanging out in in front of the blind at ~30yds as dawn was breaking. Not a trophy by any stretch, but the freezer is now where I need it to be minimally for another year.

That's a nice buck there Scout! Nicely done!

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016

Sweet rack, though. Are you going to euro mount it?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The easiest way for me to tell a young of year doe from other deer is they lack the long narrow snout of a mature doe. Their heads are more triangular, very much as a mature buck might have.

Easiest way for me to tell is when they are with a mature doe or buck :-)

But your way is the second easiest way. At least for me I’ve fortunately got enough does moving around my place they are rarely on their own and often times there is one or more mature does in the group so I can just pick out the biggest one.

Public land, I don’t typically get picky.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Thanks everyone. I'm not too beat up over it, just feel a little guilty for shooting something over 20-25 pounds of meat.

Lesson learned. Headed back out next week, hopefully I'll get a monster.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    When I was first married I only had public land to hunt and never saw much. Shot a yearling in November and butchered it. Saved an entire front shoulder for my M-n-L and he rubbed it down and baked it in a bag for Christmas dinner. She still almost 30 years later talks about that tender young deer. She told me to "Shoot all the little ones" and made a comment about deer veal.
    :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom