• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 13, 2005
    Unfortunately, public east coast ranges, for the most part are pretty restricted. Move further West, they get better. Move into the Sierra Nevada ranges and they have ones that tow cars out to shoot (even with bazookas). Life is different out west.

Really your only option is to locate and buy a piece of property that you can build your own range. Very rare that someone who owns a private range will allow nontrusted people to shoot on it without some vetting.

m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    Yeah you get what I'm looking for. Sounds like you have a pretty sweet set up there. That's something I'd love to find but seems like opportunity like that doesn't come along very often

Good friend bought land in WV as a getaway generally, but not least because it's got terrain that lends itself to the sort of fun shooting that w all crave. So far, he has the land, and I've brought a lot of steel targets to keep there - and it's great. Yeah, it's a two-hour drive (less if I don't stop for gas!), so an overnight there makes it a lot more attractive. But it totally transforms the whole fun shooting experience. If you don't mind a bit more of a drive or some rougher terrain, it's not that expensive a proposition, and its hugely liberating. We're likely going to buy our friend's adjoining lot to make the whole scene even sweeter, and it may even become home base at some point. We pretty much gave up looking for a place within 50 miles of us in MoCo with even a pale shadow of that shooting experience and smiles to go with it.

martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    *****Let us know when you find such a place as you wish to go to with lax rules that doesn't cost a fortune, and allows you to shoot water jugs, steel, etc.. and doesn't have cameras, key cards, etc.. Presumably ya just walk in I guess... :shrug:
    One of the reasons I miss middle of nowhere NY. Shared door combinations that change every year and that’s about it for security. No range nazis. You’ll run into very very few people on the actual range, but see a nice amount for weeks end breakfast events and stuff for kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom