• Sprinfield Hellcat

Votes: 34 16.7%

• Total voters

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I like my Kimber Micro 9...small, reliable and accurate for its intended purposes. BTW...MidwayUSA has them on sale right now in several versions. Here's targets from the first time I tried it...seven yards...
    Micro9-target.jpg

My wife has the Kimber and the P365. The Kimber is a little small for my hands, but I like it more than the Sig because of the sight picture and trigger.

I carry the Beretta APX Carry, and like it a lot. The Beretta and Kimber are both single stack, so for those interested in capacity first they are not good options.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My wife has the Kimber and the P365. The Kimber is a little small for my hands, but I like it more than the Sig because of the sight picture and trigger.

I carry the Beretta APX Carry, and like it a lot. The Beretta and Kimber are both single stack, so for those interested in capacity first they are not good options.

How is the weight on the Kimber?

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    If you ever think you will be adding a reflex sight,, Hellcat is second to none.
    The SMSC reflex sits so low it has 100% cowitness with the great, low factory sights.

Only problem it has ruined me as far as all the other "optic ready" pistols and their suppressor irons

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    I have a Sig p938 . It’s like having a mini 1911. Not a Glock fan . I would go with the Sig . Mine is spot on . Being small you feel it at least I feel it . Nice pistol though.

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    I'm looking forward to picking up my Hellcat soon. Will report back after taking it to the range. I did go with the dot and liked the cowitness, but that was just handling at the shop.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    [Kev308];6490287 said:
    I'm interested in buying a micro 9mm handgun. Currently I'm considering a Glock43x, Sig 365, or a Hellcat.

I see a lot of Hellcats being resold and I'm wondering if people generally don't like it after trying it out? I think I'm confident in ruling out the Ruger max 9.

I'm looking for input from people who have owned a couple of these or all of them at one point.

Or

If you have found an issue that should rule out one of the choices.

I own and carry or have carried the following: 43x, P365, and Max 9 that you called out. Here’s my picks in order:

1.) 43x: Easiest to shoot accurately and manipulate the controls IMHO. I carry with Shield Arms 15rd mags and replaced magazine release with their aluminum version. Well balanced and best grip and slightly longer sight radius probably contributes to that being my most accurate CCW as well. I carry IWB in a simple Polecraft Kydex holster with adjustable cant and the grip disappears for me without printing. As for reliability, it’s a Glock and will outlast all of us.

2.) P365: Favorite package as a whole but not not as accurate for me as a shooter as the G43x. Easy to conceal IWB in a simple Polecraft Kydex holster, smaller grip though and in my hands is likely impacting my accuracy but I am on target with it consistently, just better hits and follow up shots with the 43x. I use the 10, 12, and 15rd mags with this one also and have an XL grip frame that I can change out as needed. Concealability with the 10 or 12rd is outstanding, it disappears under a T-shirt and can be pocket carried in a holster but 99% of the time I go IWB. As for reliability, it’s a Sig and as reliable as all of them.

3.) Max-9: Great sight picture out of the box, solid reliability (about 500rds no malfunctions). It is taller than the P365 and not as many holster options exist yet, did come across an IWB Kydex option but the grip doesn’t disappear as easily for me as the above two. It rattles a bit which I don’t care for, nor do I like having to use a tool to punch the pin to do simple takedowns.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    For those who can carry look at the Philster Enigma system. It had made carrying in scrubs, sweatpants, shorts much easier. Also, I find I can carry with tighter fitting tucked dress shirts.

How do you carry a spare mag?

I like the 365 but really find it more comfortable with a Hogue HandALL grip sleeve. It's about $10 and makes it much better.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    My wife has a Sig 365 SAS. I opted for the Kimber Micro 9. The Micro-9 is slim and functions basically like a 1911. The sight picture is excellent w/the fiber optic sights option. It's definitely snapper than the 365 SAS. So I modified the grip w/a Hogue full grip. I also purchased the Kimber 8 round mags so that adds just enough length to the grip so my hand fits perfect. The wife's 365 SAS shoots very nicely but again is snappier then the Glock 43x--which we both carry. The 365 bulls-eye sight is perfect for the intended purpose-- but don't try to be a marksman w/it.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    For those who can carry look at the Philster Enigma system. It had made carrying in scrubs, sweatpants, shorts much easier. Also, I find I can carry with tighter fitting tucked dress shirts.

I went to the website and watched their video. I like the idea. The dude in the tee shirt prints that Glock like a billboard. The dress shirt has to be unbuttoned way down. Looks like scrubs are probably the best clothes to wear over it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    * Longwinded w/o directly answering OP's question *

How do you conceive a " Micro 9 " ? Is it a more or less substitute for Regular 9 , to do more or less the same things , more or less as well ? Or is it a specialized Get Off Me , Belly Gun in fairly potent caliber ? Or what degrees of compromise between the two ?

Binary , Yes or No question : Is this for Front pants pocket , or Ankle carry ?

If Yes , grip length is the prime characteristic , shorter is by definition better . Even if it does worse at everything else . ( Hellcat w/ flush mag is shortest .)

If No , emphasis on how well you can shocc c ccccccccfccccot it , which is often related to how well fits your hand . This varies from person to person , you'll need to fondle at least , preferably shoot each .

Magazine capacity is so far down the list , I didn't mention it .

While not on the list , I can comment upon the Spiritual Granddaddy of all of these , and upon the pistol conspicuously not included , as examples of the characteristics .

Kel Tec P11 started the whole concept ( not withstanding DAO vs Striker ) . 5.6in length , 4.3in w/ flush , and 17oz . 10rd proprietary mags , also take 12, 15 , and aftermarket 20 rd mags for metal frame double stack S&W .

With 10 rd, somewhat pocketable . ( Pocket doesn't work well for me with any gun , because of hand size .)

For belt or IWB , 12 rd is sweet spot .

It is capable of 2/3 the distance of full size 9 , aka , I can do at 15yds , what full size can do @ 25yds . Is 15 yds enough to be meaningful ? Probably .

Recoil is snappy enough that I prefer std vel instead of +P .

S&W Shield is hair larger , but thinner .

* For Me * , the Shield will shoot as accurately as average full size 9mm .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The P11 was decended from the evil Grendel P10, the real granddaddy of the micros. I've owned one since 1988.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Of those three, I'd go Sig. If the Glock 43 (not X) were in the mix, I'd take a close look at the Kimber Evo SP, which has a MUCH better trigger.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Anyone looked at the new kimber shark. Looks like their version of the 365 and i don’t hate it

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom